Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2007, 03:49 PM

982 posts, read 3,307,304 times

Advertisements

I'm sure some of you have seen or heard this:

http://www.news8austin.com/content/t...sp?ArID=178884

News 8 seemed to downplay this, but I think it's a HUGE deal. What are your thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2007, 10:29 PM

5,641 posts, read 24,955,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsengle View Post
I'm sure some of you have seen or heard this:

http://www.news8austin.com/content/t...sp?ArID=178884

News 8 seemed to downplay this, but I think it's a HUGE deal. What are your thoughts?
Looks like a pipe dream to me... lofty goals and no rational plan to get there.

Old 02-09-2007, 10:11 AM

15,269 posts, read 35,637,527 times
Political speak...notice he did not mention any $ value associated with the proposed plan? Not that it is a bad idea, per se....just not easy to do, especially on a local level.

Old 02-09-2007, 12:55 PM

It says that older homes (not new construction) have to be compliant BEFORE selling. Which means new HVAC and appliances, etc. How much would it cost to sell your home if you had to replace all that? How many people have that equity built up to absorb that hit? That's the part that gets me. It's almost like eminent domain without compensation. Honestly, I don't think it will pass. But we'll see.

Old 02-09-2007, 01:23 PM

15,269 posts, read 35,637,527 times
To tell you the truth, when I sold my house, I was prepared to install a new AC system, since mine dated back to the late 70s. I figured we would work something out in the contract (change in cost and/or an allowance to replace the AC). I was rather surprised the eventual buyer did not ask for it, but it turns out he was an AC installer and was going to do it 'at cost'....go figure . Anyway, if I had continued to live there, I could have recovered the cost in 3-4 years.

I guess my point is, even today someone is probably going to cover the cost. If done before sale, it would probably be passed on to the buyer, who currently would do the work anyway if it isn't up to spec. I don't know what 'compliant' is (have not read the proposal), but if it means replacing 20 y.o. ac units, it really would not be that big a deal.

Btw, I think it is funny that it says '100% energy efficient'. Wouldn't that be nice...can you pass the perpertual motion machine, please?

Old 02-09-2007, 01:58 PM

I'm not sure what 100% 'energy efficient' means, either. I can just think of all the things that might have to be replaced. Will a seller have to have a new 'energy efficient' roof? New insulation? New stove, and whatever other appliances do not convey? What if they purchased a new HVAC 5 years ago, that works perfectly fine, but isn't compliant? And apartments! How much of the cost will be passed on to the tenant?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: