Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2019, 05:23 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,882,652 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
From what I've always understood, the city purposefully neglected infrastructure in hopes more people wouldnt come here but they came anyway then projects broke out in efforts to relieve extremely congested arteries, such as the conversion of U.S. 183 to freeway standards, the construction of tollroads, and the toll lane on MoPac and are basically trying to play 'catchup' so to speak with infrastructural demands.

I guess what I'm hoping is that they have gotten over the 'if we dont build it they wont come' fad and start planning out for more development as it arrives.

Something that does kind of confuse me though is if they didn't want people to move here, why did they invite all the high end companies seen here?
There have been projects but they were needed 20 years ago. US 183 should of been freeway standards in 2000. The MoPac toll lane took years of negotiations with lots of politicians hands in the cookie jar. Burying I-35 downtown is a good idea but my guess is a much cheaper solution will win the day.

This city will spend millions on bikeways and trails but next to nothing on public transportation because it's not "hip".
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2019, 07:50 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,387,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cirrusly View Post
OVER HYPED!! but also a nice place to live.

But seriously, do you want endless amazing nature to explore? It’s not in Austin or Texas, and the little we have is overfilled with millennials and their dogs. Do you want big city amenities like museums, zoos, and live entertainment? Try literally any other big city inside or outside of Texas for more options. How about food? We’ve got lots of food trucks, but other places do too, otherwise we’ve got a lot of “foodie” restaurants but we lack in variety of ethnic foods. Austin feels like a huge suburb if you’re from the northeast. The weather can break some people who can’t handle heat. Traffic isn’t the worst in the country, but plenty of people in the suburbs have 2 hour round trip commutes, which can definitely affect physical and mental well-being. Housing is expensive in the city and average to slightly above average everywhere else in Texas compared to national average. If you’re a liberal moving in from out of state I definitely don’t understand why, because you’re moving to a blue bubble in a Red Sea. And it’s not even THAT blue. There are big red donors in the hills.

Furthermore.... I think the shopping could be a little better, especially considering the high proportion of millionaires in the vicinity. The beaches in Texas are terrible so you might as well consider this place land locked, and AUSTIN ISNT THAT WEIRD. It’s about as quirky as one of the thousands of college campuses across the US and that’s about it. I also find it hard to make friends. Most of the people moving in have plans to move out, but every time they move out they get replaced by someone similar trying to move in.

Pros: Safe. Affordable suburbs. Jobs. Clean.

Of course Austin isn't that weird. It got run out of town by all the people moving here for the weird that they couldn't handle.

Hasn't been Austin weird in at least about 20 years.

Old 12-18-2019, 02:59 PM

1,558 posts, read 2,398,086 times
Lived in Austin from 1981 to 2016 so I witnessed first-hand a lot of changes. I don't know how all the newcomers tolerate the heat. Maybe they just pretend to like it. One of the reasons we moved north is that summer in Austin lasted 5-6 months and was basically stay inside or get drenched in sweat and eaten up by mosquitos. Property taxes became too high for mid-income folks like myself. Retired in Colorado now with no regrets though I do miss BBQ and the "energy" of Austin. My prop taxes here are $1300 vs $11,000 there. Here I can grow all kinds of wonderful produce and flowers in the summer which I could never pull off in Austin. Just depends on what stage of life you're at and what you like to do as to what you seek/find in a city.

Old 12-18-2019, 03:34 PM

11,779 posts, read 7,992,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orngkat View Post
Lived in Austin from 1981 to 2016 so I witnessed first-hand a lot of changes. I don't know how all the newcomers tolerate the heat. Maybe they just pretend to like it. One of the reasons we moved north is that summer in Austin lasted 5-6 months and was basically stay inside or get drenched in sweat and eaten up by mosquitos. Property taxes became too high for mid-income folks like myself. Retired in Colorado now with no regrets though I do miss BBQ and the "energy" of Austin. My prop taxes here are $1300 vs $11,000 there. Here I can grow all kinds of wonderful produce and flowers in the summer which I could never pull off in Austin. Just depends on what stage of life you're at and what you like to do as to what you seek/find in a city.
For the heat for me specifically I moved from a southern city and state so it didnt really phase me that much, or atleast...no more than any other major sunbelt city.

The taxes are out there though and are no joke.

Old 12-18-2019, 05:01 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,882,652 times
Quote:
But can you grow winter vegetables like I do?

Old 12-18-2019, 08:01 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,121,973 times
Quote:
I like the heat over the cold. I can do all kinds of stuff outside in the heat, but in the cold there is very little

When it is really hot there are no mosquitos.

Property taxes are high, but no income taxes.

Old 12-19-2019, 10:45 AM

13,447 posts, read 15,469,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin97 View Post
I like the heat over the cold. I can do all kinds of stuff outside in the heat, but in the cold there is very little

When it is really hot there are no mosquitos.

Property taxes are high, but no income taxes.
There are TONS of mosquitoes in my area (and probably many other areas) during the 100 degree days. In fact, summer is peak mosquito season in Central Texas. Probably the only areas that have reduced mosquitoes are yards that have little to no vegetation, and even then that's during the day. Our lot is wooded and I have lots of landscaping. Same with our neighbors. The minute the sun starts to go down the mosquitoes show up. Other than the heat itself, the mosquito bombardment is probably right on up there in terms of "cons" for me.

Pros

I'm still having a nicer life for less, in comparison to where I'm from New York.
More relaxed and employers still believe in work life balance.
Love the city I live in, close enough to be commutable, far enough to give me "remoteness" that I crave.
Some gorgeous days during the fall (when we get one) and spring.
Little snow
Getting days off due to ice, lol.
Clerk's office staff are far nicer in Texas (this probably relates to my job only)
Safe, great place to raise kids.
From a gardening perspective, you get more months of bloom.
Warmer winter days lately

Cons
Drought and extreme weather. Lack of water is a legit concern. The ground is still cracked and the colder weather distracts from the fact that we still need water badly. It's terrible.

Abysmal transit network

Summer heat

Mosquitoes

Crowds/People

Traffic

Ever increasing property taxes

Old 12-19-2019, 12:47 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,121,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
There are TONS of mosquitoes in my area (and probably many other areas) during the 100 degree days. In fact, summer is peak mosquito season in Central Texas. Probably the only areas that have reduced mosquitoes are yards that have little to no vegetation, and even then that's during the day. Our lot is wooded and I have lots of landscaping. Same with our neighbors. The minute the sun starts to go down the mosquitoes show up. Other than the heat itself, the mosquito bombardment is probably right on up there in terms of "cons" for me.

Pros

I'm still having a nicer life for less, in comparison to where I'm from New York.
More relaxed and employers still believe in work life balance.
Love the city I live in, close enough to be commutable, far enough to give me "remoteness" that I crave.
Some gorgeous days during the fall (when we get one) and spring.
Little snow
Getting days off due to ice, lol.
Clerk's office staff are far nicer in Texas (this probably relates to my job only)
Safe, great place to raise kids.
From a gardening perspective, you get more months of bloom.
Warmer winter days lately

Cons
Drought and extreme weather. Lack of water is a legit concern. The ground is still cracked and the colder weather distracts from the fact that we still need water badly. It's terrible.

Abysmal transit network

Summer heat

Mosquitoes

Crowds/People

Traffic

Ever increasing property taxes
Mosquitos cannot live without standing water. When it is 100 degrees and hasnt rained in months there shouldnt be any standing water. If you do have mosquitos it is because someone is running sprinklers and there is standing water.

Old 12-19-2019, 01:36 PM

1,549 posts, read 1,954,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin97 View Post
Mosquitos cannot live without standing water. When it is 100 degrees and hasnt rained in months there shouldnt be any standing water. If you do have mosquitos it is because someone is running sprinklers and there is standing water.
Or because you live near a creek, lake or natural spring -- all of which are abundant in this area. Even without rain, there are pockets of standing water in the local creeks for months. Mosquitoes can also live and breed in things such a damp mulch and other organic matter. And of course one cannot control one's neighbors and their standing water. We live relatively close to a major creek and see mosquitoes o'plenty throughout the most blistering days of summer. A friend's neighbor died of West Nile Virus a few years ago during the warmest months. To say there are no mosquitoes at that time of year is a true disservice to people.

Old 12-19-2019, 02:14 PM

11,779 posts, read 7,992,594 times
Meh.

I personally think some people need to take a trip to Georgia (especially Valdosta & Augusta), Alabama, Lousiana....your perception of Austin mosquitoes will be forever changed. Like, literally opening your car door and within 5 minutes you're covered in swarms of bites, working on your car? Bring repellent. Taking a jog? They'll be following you.

This place has nothing in terms of mosquitoes on it's worse day in comparison to even Atlanta on it's best day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin