Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2020, 12:40 PM

15,637 posts, read 10,393,078 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
idk what to feel about it TBH. Business growth is good undoubtedly but some of me feels Texas is a little 'too' tolerant on businesses and job growth while almost completely ignoring job quality aspects pertaining to actual employees and citizens. I could be wrong, but that's kind of the vibe I get with all the corporate relocations running away from the increasing rules and regulations of democratic states to republican states. Georgia is similar in this regard. I personally believe neither party has a perfect model.

That stated, California lost over 200,000 companies over the last decade yet their GDP still increases year over year with San Francisco still pretty much leading the nation in GDP, and most disposable incomes despite how insanely expensive it is to live there, so I feel there's more to it than just job growth.
You don't live in Austin, camaro.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2020, 12:43 PM

9,895 posts, read 6,595,852 times
Quote:
That stated, California lost over 200,000 companies over the last decade yet their GDP still increases year over year with San Francisco still pretty much leading the nation in GDP, and most disposable incomes despite how insanely expensive it is to live there, so I feel there's more to it than just job growth.
There’s a lot more to it than just job growth. Relocations have their benefits. But people seem to be over hyping the impact they actually produce. Most of these companies, though not all, coming to Texas already had a large presence here and they’re simply moving the board of directors and thwir move here is more of a tax move. CBRE’s move to Dallas is exactly this for example. Or Mitsubishi’s move to Houston. These are most (though not all) of the relocations,.

That said though, the companiws coming here do invest more while being here so it definitely does have its benefits as well.

Old 12-01-2020, 12:44 PM

11,804 posts, read 8,012,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
You don't live in Austin, camaro.
Austin proper? No
Austin metro? Yes

Old 12-01-2020, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Austin proper? No
Austin metro? Yes
austin taxes, problems, costs? no.

austin wanna-be? yes.

Old 12-01-2020, 12:47 PM

Quote:
austin taxes, problems no.

austin wanna-be yes.
Nadda, you can have all of that. I've done my time in Austin proper and I'm quite happy to be a suburbanite.

Now, care to elaborate how any of this invalidates my statements?

Old 12-01-2020, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Nadda, you can have all of that. I'm quite happy to be a suburbanite.
Your experience is different than Austin residents. You live in the suburbs for a reason.

Old 12-01-2020, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Your experience is different than Austin residents. You live in the suburbs for a reason.
That is meaningless pertaining to your actual post regarding job relocations to the state of Texas.

Try again?

Old 12-01-2020, 02:29 PM

9,851 posts, read 13,701,644 times
Quote:
That is meaningless pertaining to your actual post regarding job relocations to the state of Texas.

Try again?
I'm 100% on board with his response. You may have lived "in Austin" once but you don't live here now. It's like me giving advice on Williamson county because I "used" to live in Williamson county in 2015. You get all the perks of living in Austin without paying any of our taxes. You do have the right to provide input on the general feel of the Austin area, but your comments about living in Austin are not valid. It's like me saying, in the San Antonio forum that "You can definitely bet on X area as being a great fit." I could be on the right track but things have changed.

Old 12-01-2020, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
I'm 100% on board with his response. You may have lived "in Austin" once but you don't live here now. It's like me giving advice on Williamson county because I "used" to live in Williamson county in 2015. You get all the perks of living in Austin without paying any of our taxes. You do have the right to provide input on the general feel of the Austin area, but your comments about living in Austin are not valid.
Just because I do not 'live' in Austin proper does not mean I do not know about what is happening in the employer market in Austin. I'm in IT and am heavily versed in the field as well as the relocations here and as per why they are moving here.

Again, my living in Austin proper or not has nothing to do with job relocations to the city.

You are entitled to your opinions, but they do not devaluate my own unless you have a functional counter-argument with factual information other than 'you don't live in xxxxxx proper you must not know what you're saying'

Also, much of my reply was tailored toward Texas as a whole, not Austin specifically.

By the way, this is quite a hypocritical post for someone who still posts in the San Antonio forums whom has very similar arguments with its locals ... and which I might add, no longer pays taxes to San Antonio proper.

Last edited by Need4Camaro; 12-01-2020 at 03:46 PM..

Old 12-01-2020, 02:50 PM

1,907 posts, read 3,229,909 times
To be sure Dallas/Fort Worth have the most diversified economy and best overall balance out of all the metros in Texas there is a reason Toyota, Charles Schwab, McKesson Pharmaceutical distributing all have moved there headquarters there. Also DFW is second to NYC with amount of fortune 500 company wealth. Combined with decent mass transit and two big airports and all the sports in the world DFW is shining bright.

Austin certainly has the juice concerning tech but will need to be careful as they same issues that are starting to plague San Francisco could get out of control here. Most importantly a lopsided economy where tech calls all the shots and housing gets out of hand. Few industries can compete with the wages tech has especially at the entry level space so Austin needs to actively recruit industries of all types so that everyone whether they are a student, entry level, hourly worker or above has a place to call home and not struggle. Transit (expanding the light rail should help), homelessness, and general infrastructure (leander is already too big for their water system) are all issues that also need to be addressed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin