Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2021, 02:56 PM

25 posts, read 39,705 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinnerd View Post
Some of the more negative replies are interesting (how does going to F1 equate to where one stays and what one does when not at the track?).

Anyway, good idea OP to open your options to other places in addition to Austin. No matter what locations you are considering, take folks input, but in the end, only you know the details of the broad criteria you've outlined. For example, the issue of traffic. Depending on what your travel habits in SoCal were like, the traffic here might seem massively better than there. But by the same token, traffic here in Austin is certainly far worse than it was years ago, and, again, depending on what your travel patterns are, it may feel just as bad as LA.

We all start these types of explorations with very broad strokes, as you actually visit places and start to assign more realistic weights and priorities to your likes/dislikes, then you'll start to get a better feel for what areas really are attractive to you. In other words, no place is perfect.

Best of luck, this years F1 race is shaping up to be one of the most pivotal ever so your timing is perfect in that regard
Very good points and thanks for chiming in! I'll definitely have to make my ultimate decision after visiting, experiencing, and actually spending time around the neighborhoods I'd want to live. I'd assume most places in the US are better than LA in terms of traffic but I'd hate to move there and find the same level of congestion and chaos in a few years.

The race is definitely shaping up to be a great one! So much drama and unexpected turns this season so I can't wait to actually be able to see it in person. Who's your team?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
I see that side comment there. My point was that f1 is not "Austin" in the fact that you have to drive like 30 minutes to get there if you're downtown and if you do the whole day/night you don't get the "Austin" experience in that you don't explore the city. But, that's just my opinion and from my one time experience attempting to experience f1 (we got there really late and missed actual race and then went and saw Britney...we spent time driving from my house in south Austin up to the shuttle, walking to the actual track from the shuttle, finding the concert, getting to the concert, walking back to the shuttle, going back to our car and then back home and it was like midnight by then. I mean, could we have lived it up and gone to Rainey or something? Sure, but we were in our mid 30s by then and needed to go to bed).
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinnerd View Post
Sorry, didn't mean to single you out, and I do understand your point. Just wanted to point out that it is certainly _possible_ to get a lot of the "Austin feel" while attending the race, it just depends on where one's priorities lie. One could certainly rent an AirBNB in Buda, spend the entire day at the track, stick around for the concert, and head back to the AirBNB and I'd absolutely agree that one would get very little in the way of a feel for "Austin". One could also stay downtown, skip Friday at the track altogether (free practice, meh and use that time to go to Zilker, Barton Creek hike and bike trail, etc; show up for qualifying, head back to Austin, spend the rest of Sat in Austin (downtown or otherwise), show up right before the race, then head back right after the race. That would be a mix of F1 and Austin, though it would be more effort, but if OP is seriously considering a move, I'd think it'd be worth the extra effort.
I appreciate both sides of this and it's something to take into account. I'll try to get into the main part of Austin to experience more of it and might leave practice early on Friday or skip it, depending on what the group wants to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2021, 04:09 PM

181 posts, read 159,825 times
If you want to stay closer to the west coast, then Denver seems a better fit compared to areas near the Smoky Mnts. After reading your original post, I quickly arrived at the conclusion that Austin probably isn't what you're looking for.

Old 10-11-2021, 07:24 PM

4,505 posts, read 4,620,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger84Ag View Post
Austin is humid, San Antonio is more humid. If you don’t like humidity you will dislike it here.
I think Austin feels a little more humid than San Antonio but not enough to make all that much of a difference.

Old 10-12-2021, 06:46 AM

2,445 posts, read 1,068,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LE2021 View Post
How did you like San Antonio? Do you think it'd be closer to what I'm looking for?
In August I can’t seem to catch my breath in San Antonio, I have asthma maybe that’s why.

Old 10-13-2021, 09:01 AM

3,080 posts, read 3,266,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LE2021 View Post
The race is definitely shaping up to be a great one! So much drama and unexpected turns this season so I can't wait to actually be able to see it in person. Who's your team?
I'm a Honda guy from the ole glory days of McLaren/Honda (Senna, Prost, etc) so I'm currently rooting for Red Bull and Max.

Old 10-13-2021, 09:44 AM

9,852 posts, read 13,704,520 times
For whatever reason I feel like the clouds hang on more in San Antonio with the humidity, but it stays more humid for longer there in Austin. That's me and my personal thoughts, though. I don't think that its a big enough difference for me to pick one over the other. Now, if you're talking Houston versus SA/Austin....

Old 10-13-2021, 11:33 AM

11,815 posts, read 8,023,382 times
Houston is on another level. Literally I don’t know how people can even breathe there without filtered oxygen…

Old 10-15-2021, 09:15 PM
kwr

254 posts, read 494,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
Houston is on another level. Literally I don’t know how people can even breathe there without filtered oxygen…
I always laugh when someone in Austin calls out humidity in Houston. Yep, Austin is as dry as Vegas, says no one. What you’ll typically experience on an Austin summer day is a 100 degree temp with almost 70% humidity. In Houston the temp will be slightly lower (in the 90s) with slightly higher humidity in the 70s. Both cities are hot (and humid) in the summer and there is no way to spin in. El Paso is the only city in TX that could be considered dry in the summer.

Average yearly relative humidity (%)
Daily City Morning Afternoon

67 Austin 84 49
65 Dallas 82 49
41 El Paso 50 27
65 Fort Worth 82 49
75 Houston 90 55
67 San Antonio 83 48

Old 10-16-2021, 01:20 AM

11,815 posts, read 8,023,382 times
Austin isn’t dry but it’s not my definition of humid either. Florida, Coastal Georgia, Louisiana, D.C., and S.E Texas are my definition of humid.

Austin’s humidity is strongest in the morning long before peak heat during the day, and is more humid during the fall / spring months and when the temperatures are not as radical.

https://www.currentresults.com/Weath...averages.php#h

https://weather-and-climate.com/aver...tes-of-America

Houston on the other hand:

https://weather-and-climate.com/aver...tes-of-America

Old 10-16-2021, 09:08 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,487,964 times
Houston is worse because it’s coastal, just Florida and Georgia. But Austin is only a tier below. The humidity is awful, especially in the summer. Ot sucks in the fall because you’re hoping for cooler weather. You get four months of decent (to me) here. I wouldn’t trade California for here using weather as a barometer lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin