Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2021, 04:37 PM

25 posts, read 39,699 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I'm 30 and starting to re-evaluate my life (it's been fun). I'm starting to think about other cities I'd like to move and Austin is on my short-list. From what I understand, it sounds like it has a pseudo-LA vibe with less of the negatives about LA. First question - how good are the surrounding lakes/rivers/camping? I love lake camping and fishing. I also love the forest-feel more than anything so I'd like to have as much of that as possible (and I'd love any info about any surrounding areas that have that feel).

The main things I don't like about LA (that I'd like to avoid in a new city) are:
High cost of living (but I guess any area in TX compared to LA will be better in comparison)
Selfish people/materialism/toxic work environments in sales-type jobs
Smog/traffic
Show-off mentality
Increasingly less-safe and growing homeless population

My main questions -

Being 30 and moving alone I'll obviously have to get a new job and restart my social life. I hear that Austin is the social hub so I don't foresee that to be a problem but how warm and open are people generally? I've been to other parts of TX and I've loved the people.

Job market: I know tech is big but what about jobs that focus more on social aspects? My skillset is real estate so I'd likely be looking for a job in which I can transfer those skills and still make enough to support a future family. How's the cost of living compared to overall income? Is it easier to live without worry or does the general income match the cost of living?

Weather: One of my biggest hesitations is the weather. I can deal with the heat but I hate humidity. How humid is it in Austin compared to other parts of TX? How long are the worst times of year?

How big is the outdoors scene out there? I like going out in the city here and there but I'll be wanting to do a lot of camping/offroading/lake trips.

Finally, if I chose to commute and live outside of either main city, what would be the best peripheral cities to look at that might offer a better cost of living and less congestion? I like the ability to get out and meet new people but I'd prefer my home life to be quiet and peaceful and am ok with a bit of commute to work if it gets me more of what I'm looking for.

Thanks for any feedback

Last edited by LE2021; 10-05-2021 at 04:50 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2021, 04:47 PM

4,853 posts, read 3,279,714 times
I'll let the Austintes chime in, but it sure doesn't sound like Austin is the place for you. Weather, homeless population, traffic, etc. I was in the San Antonio area for the better part of 40 years, but you couldn't have paid me to live in Austin anytime in the last 10 years.

Old 10-05-2021, 05:05 PM

9,852 posts, read 13,701,644 times
Have you been here before? Come and visit. Stay in an AirBnb in a non-touristy spot and live a normal life for a bit. Get a job before you move here. Don’t move sight unseen. I’ll leave my snark out and let others respond appropriately and chime in when I can.

Old 10-05-2021, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
Have you been here before? Come and visit. Stay in an AirBnb in a non-touristy spot and live a normal life for a bit. Get a job before you move here. Don’t move sight unseen. I’ll leave my snark out and let others respond appropriately and chime in when I can.
I'm actually going out there this month for F1 with some friends and we're planning on checking out the surrounding areas. All great advice: I wouldn't move anywhere sight-unseen or without jobs lined up but I want as much info as I can get beforehand

Old 10-05-2021, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seguinite View Post
I'll let the Austintes chime in, but it sure doesn't sound like Austin is the place for you. Weather, homeless population, traffic, etc. I was in the San Antonio area for the better part of 40 years, but you couldn't have paid me to live in Austin anytime in the last 10 years.
How did you like San Antonio? Do you think it'd be closer to what I'm looking for?

Old 10-05-2021, 06:36 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,130,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LE2021 View Post
Hi everyone,

I'm 30 and starting to re-evaluate my life (it's been fun). I'm starting to think about other cities I'd like to move and Austin is on my short-list. From what I understand, it sounds like it has a pseudo-LA vibe with less of the negatives about LA. First question - how good are the surrounding lakes/rivers/camping? I love lake camping and fishing. I also love the forest-feel more than anything so I'd like to have as much of that as possible (and I'd love any info about any surrounding areas that have that feel).

The main things I don't like about LA (that I'd like to avoid in a new city) are:
High cost of living (but I guess any area in TX compared to LA will be better in comparison)
Selfish people/materialism/toxic work environments in sales-type jobs
Smog/traffic
Show-off mentality
Increasingly less-safe and growing homeless population

My main questions -

Being 30 and moving alone I'll obviously have to get a new job and restart my social life. I hear that Austin is the social hub so I don't foresee that to be a problem but how warm and open are people generally? I've been to other parts of TX and I've loved the people.

Job market: I know tech is big but what about jobs that focus more on social aspects? My skillset is real estate so I'd likely be looking for a job in which I can transfer those skills and still make enough to support a future family. How's the cost of living compared to overall income? Is it easier to live without worry or does the general income match the cost of living?

Weather: One of my biggest hesitations is the weather. I can deal with the heat but I hate humidity. How humid is it in Austin compared to other parts of TX? How long are the worst times of year?

How big is the outdoors scene out there? I like going out in the city here and there but I'll be wanting to do a lot of camping/offroading/lake trips.

Finally, if I chose to commute and live outside of either main city, what would be the best peripheral cities to look at that might offer a better cost of living and less congestion? I like the ability to get out and meet new people but I'd prefer my home life to be quiet and peaceful and am ok with a bit of commute to work if it gets me more of what I'm looking for.

Thanks for any feedback
Austin is heading towards all the things you hate. We have very little public land compared to california. It definitely gets very humid here.

Based on what you wrote, austin is not for you.

Last edited by Austin97; 10-05-2021 at 06:58 PM..

Old 10-05-2021, 07:01 PM

11,811 posts, read 8,018,631 times
I would consider Atlanta if I were you. It has all the Austin amenities without the California politics… …for now. You’ll have to go further from the city for water activities but trees, parks and nature trails it does not lack. Better weather, and lower CoL. Although I will admit Atlanta isn’t as safe as Austin is.

Another consideration is Charlotte NC although not quite as nature centered

Nashville or Raleigh may also work.

Old 10-05-2021, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin97 View Post
Austin is heading towards all the things you hate. We have very little public land compared to california. It definitely gets very humid here.

Based on what you wrote, austin is not for you.
That's a shame to hear but thanks for the feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
I would consider Atlanta if I were you. It has all the Austin amenities without the California politics… …for now. You’ll have to go further from the city for water activities but trees, parks and nature trails it does not lack. Better weather, and lower CoL. Although I will admit Atlanta isn’t as safe as Austin is.

Another consideration is Charlotte NC although not quite as nature centered

Nashville or Raleigh may also work.
Thanks for the suggestions. I'd rather stay closer to the west coast to be more accessible to my family in LA but I'm still early in the search. I'll start looking into them and I may find that the extra time to get over is worth it

Old 10-06-2021, 04:44 AM

9,852 posts, read 13,701,644 times
Quote:
I'm actually going out there this month for F1 with some friends and we're planning on checking out the surrounding areas. All great advice: I wouldn't move anywhere sight-unseen or without jobs lined up but I want as much info as I can get beforehand
You won’t experience “Austin” at f1. The track is out in the boonies and Austin annexed the circuit of America’s from a small rural community to get the tax breaks. I highly recommend coming for a non-event weekend, too. F1 is okay fun, but since it’s not really in town you don’t get the “Austin” experience a lot of younger folks are coming here for. Have you considered Dallas, Houston, or even Denver?

Old 10-06-2021, 05:49 AM

4,853 posts, read 3,279,714 times
Quote:
How did you like San Antonio? Do you think it'd be closer to what I'm looking for?
You'll still have the weather problem in San Antonio, traffic to a lesser dgree, and a growing homeless situation. So no, ptobably not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin