Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2008, 04:37 PM

368 posts, read 1,785,788 times

Advertisements

My wife and I went here last night, May 20th, for our wedding anniversary.

We were searching for a steakhouse, but one with seafood, potentially, and the reviews on Finn and Porter came back well, almost unanimously.

The entrance is on the south side of the Hilton, downtown, on 4th street. I can't believe it, but there was one parking space on the entire street, literally, in front of the doors.

The atmosphere isn't romantic as the ceiling in the main area of the dining room is open to the second floor, which appears to hold some type of lounge. I know I could hear sports-related televions noises at times, but it wasn't oppressive. The area is loud, mainly because there is almost a complete lack of soft surfaces, save for the carpet.

Our menus arrived with 'Happy Anniversary' on them, personalized, which was a nice, and unanticipated, touch. Our waitress, Pearl, was quick, informative, and knew exactly when to attend to our table. To me, too much attention is almost as bad as not enoThe champagneeugh.

We ordered a bottle of champagne, and appetizers. My wife had the lobster bisque and I ordered French onion soup. Her lobster bisque was good, save for the stringy, decorative green vegetable 'stuff'. It wasn't up to Stratosphere Las Vegas standards, but that place is borderline amazing, food- and environment-wise. My onion soup was flat-out wonderful.

In order to not be positively ravenous by the time we were to eat, reservations were for 7:30, we each had some salad-like stuff around 3 PM.

Apparently we had too much, as after appetizers, we were full. We thought we'd kill a half hour, drink the rest of the champagne, and see how we felt.

Turns out, we were still not hungry by about 8:15. However, that didn't mean we weren't going to eat something.

We went straight to dessert. My wife had a three-item 'combination' of mango sorbet, a chocolate doughnut, and creme brulee. She said it was all quite good.

I had a serving of three (3) 'doughnuts'. They're not what you'd expect, and given the time and freshness, they were made-to-order.

We considered descriptions, and the best we could do was a chocolate dumpling. The interior was a warm, thick chocolate...almost fudge-like in texture. Surrounding this was an almost sopapilla-like cocoon which was then covered in cinnamon and sugar. There was a topping included, but honestly, I can't tell you what it was besides good.

Initially, I felt 'bad' not having dinner, as we went there for good steak, but after having dessert, any bad feelings melted away in a nice sugar rush.

Again, the setting isn't romantic, per se, but the food is amazing.

As a bonus, my wife's dessert was comped by the waitress as an anniversary gift. Her service was downright wonderful, and she earned every cent of the 30% gratuity I left.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2008, 05:05 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,884,175 times
Thanks for the review!

As an aside, I know what you are talking about re: the Stratosphere restaurant... it's great! Some of the best lobster I've ever had and the view is of course, amazing. I'll bet Vegas is one of the best places to have lobster, they probably ship in tons of it every day.

Old 05-22-2008, 04:19 PM

368 posts, read 1,785,788 times
No problem. I'm more than happy to provide a review if either the information is difficult to find, or doesn't exist, or worse, the reviews appear to conflict with each other to a large degree. That's just frustrating.

There were a couple of things I wanted to add, but a stick of memory went on safari on me, so....

Vegas is one of the largest consumers of seafood in the US. A disturbing amount gets flown in daily.

We've learned champagne with large amounts of sugar is a questionable combination.

The food at Finn and Porter is reasonably priced for the atmosphere, quantity and the quality. A couple can get out of there for under $120 yet be very happy with dinner.

Old 05-23-2008, 11:19 AM

2,261 posts, read 7,233,911 times
I went there during my & my husband's trip to Austin. VERY good food, and we made friends with our waitress who turned out to be from the same town in Illinois as my husband. She gave us her number and told us to look it up when we moved. Sitting in the Finn & Porter and marvelling over how friendly Austin was, my husband and I looked at each other and KNEW that this was the place for us.

Incidentally, I've had dinner twice at the Stratosphere, and the view IS amazing. The food, for us, was hit-or-miss. The first time, it was just OK. The second time (we went with friends who really wanted to go) was delicious. I think I got pasta the first time and steak the second. Expensive as all hell, but you're really paying for that view.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin