Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2008, 09:14 AM

48 posts, read 182,919 times

Advertisements

Okay I am going to teach in austin texas. YES .

I am going to make 40,810 dollars.

My question is how much will i get every two weeks?

Any austins teachers can help me ballpark it, i know there is no unions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2008, 10:00 AM

485 posts, read 1,959,302 times
Hmmm...I hope you're not going to teach math or grammar.

There are 52 weeks in the year, so half of that is 26. 40810/26 is 1569. 1569.00 will be your gross pay for 2 weeks.

And you're right, there ARE no unions.

Old 06-18-2008, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJinAustin View Post
Hmmm...I hope you're not going to teach math or grammar.

There are 52 weeks in the year, so half of that is 26. 40810/26 is 1569. 1569.00 will be your gross pay for 2 weeks.

And you're right, there ARE no unions.

Ha. Ha. Ha.... Thank you for your answer. I am not from the area so I wasn't sure about the Texas State and city taxes levied upon teachers checks. Thanks for the math lesson though.

Actually I am going to be teaching 5th grade ESL.

Old 06-18-2008, 10:10 AM

485 posts, read 1,959,302 times
There are no state income taxes in Texas. All you will have to pay will be federal income tax and SSI/Medicare.

Old 06-18-2008, 10:12 AM

36 posts, read 158,444 times
To NMartinez:
Is that a self-contained 5th grade ESL class or will you pull them out for services? Will you only work with 5th grade? I'm asking because I'm an ESL teacher in Maryland and in my system, we pull the kids out for small group classes but we work with many grade levels. Working with only one would be fantastic. Just curious...my job search won't be for another couple of years.

Old 06-18-2008, 10:32 AM

2,392 posts, read 9,652,329 times
Lots of ISDs don't pay into SSI or the federal system. Looking at my Leander ISD paystub I have money taken out for medicare and TRS (Teacher Retirement System) and that is it. I use Mr.s insurance and other beni's

Old 06-18-2008, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanmiguelena View Post
To NMartinez:
Is that a self-contained 5th grade ESL class or will you pull them out for services? Will you only work with 5th grade? I'm asking because I'm an ESL teacher in Maryland and in my system, we pull the kids out for small group classes but we work with many grade levels. Working with only one would be fantastic. Just curious...my job search won't be for another couple of years.
Self contained 5th grade ESL for me. When you search for jobs in Austin, I recommend faxing your resume to every elementary school in Austin. Thats what i did and doing so had very good results. Anyone who is looking for a teaching job in Austin, should get on it ASAP. It seems that now is the time that principals are looking for candidates prior to them going on their summer vacations.

Last edited by nmartinez12443; 06-18-2008 at 10:43 AM.. Reason: MJ Austin might get mad

Old 06-18-2008, 10:43 AM

2,627 posts, read 6,574,303 times
Isn't the TRS contribution mandatory for AISD? You might want to account for that in your budget.

Old 06-18-2008, 02:29 PM

2,098 posts, read 3,459,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmartinez12443 View Post
Ha. Ha. Ha.... Thank you for your answer. I am not from the area so I wasn't sure about the Texas State and city taxes levied upon teachers checks. Thanks for the math lesson though.

Actually I am going to be teaching 5th grade ESL.
ESL teaches Math and Grammar as well as Reading, Writing, Science, Social Studies. The only difference is that you will have ESL kids in your class. The majority of your students will still need to pass the Math, Reading and Science to be promoted to Middle School.

Since you seem new to the elementary level, ask your school/the district when you will be in the system so you can go to training in the summer so you are prepared a bit more. You seem to have some basic questions that will be answered once teachers get back a week before school begins. Plus, since you are new you will need to go to New Teacher Academy which lasts for a week (I believe 2 weeks before school starts). If you are in town already, I would see if you can get to some summer training designed specifically for 5th grade Science, Math, and Reading. Ask your school if that can be arranged. Science can definitely be tough for some of those ESL kids.

Old 06-18-2008, 06:27 PM

2,098 posts, read 3,459,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acuda View Post
ESL teaches Math and Grammar as well as Reading, Writing, Science, Social Studies. The only difference is that you will have ESL kids in your class. The majority of your students will still need to pass the Math, Reading and Science to be promoted to Middle School.

Since you seem new to the elementary level, ask your school/the district when you will be in the system so you can go to training in the summer so you are prepared a bit more. You seem to have some basic questions that will be answered once teachers get back a week before school begins. Plus, since you are new you will need to go to New Teacher Academy which lasts for a week (I believe 2 weeks before school starts). If you are in town already, I would see if you can get to some summer training designed specifically for 5th grade Science, Math, and Reading. Ask your school if that can be arranged. Science can definitely be tough for some of those ESL kids.
I forgot to include they will need to pass Math, Reading, and Science TAKS to be promoted to 6th.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin