Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2008, 04:30 PM

368 posts, read 1,786,054 times

Advertisements

I can't call it a restaurant, as it's like a quickie lunch place but with nicer chairs.

Anyway, it's in the same Target parking lot mall which Sunflower is in. The Pho Van restaurant, damn, did it anyway, is near the east side of the parking lot, and their entrance faces west. They're about 150 feet from the Sunflower.

The Sunflower is closed on Tuesdays, much to my dismay, but I have found what, to my wife and I, is Vietnamese food heaven....

NOODLE BOWL!

Rice vermicelli, with sliced egg-rolls and a sliced meat (we did pork, though we both wish they had beef), over a bed of greens, served with a bowl of fish sauce (don't ask, just enjoy it). $6.45 per bowl...and even though it's plenty large, I could have easily had another one. I like it this much.

The pork was cooked nicely, was lean, and there was the right amount. Next time, I'm going to request no salad stuff, it's just not my thing, and an extra egg-roll, but we have found the Holy Grail of Vietnamese food...noodle bowl.

We've been looking for exactly this dish, Bun Tho-something, since leaving Denver back in '00. Haven't found it, 'till now.

I'm still itching to try Sunflower, but that was one of the best $16 lunches, for two, after tax and tip, I've had in a long while.

Even though it faces west, and has a glass front, the interior was nicely cool.

This is the kind of place I'm glad isn't closer, else I'd be there a couple of times per week...at least.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2008, 05:09 PM

225 posts, read 851,551 times
Great news, my fav. but I get seafood, will have to try, thanks!

Old 07-15-2008, 05:20 PM

979 posts, read 2,956,386 times
You're in luck. You can get noodle bowls like that at many Vietnamese places throughout Austin.

Old 07-15-2008, 05:54 PM

225 posts, read 851,551 times
Yeah so far all the Viet. rest. bowls have been very good in area, but I am always up for trying new places also.
Sunflower's cold spring rolls are some of the best I have had yet!

Old 07-15-2008, 06:36 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,887,517 times
Thanks for the tip, I'll have to try Pho Van sometime. I always see it when I eat at Sunflower, just never tried it -- or heard any reviews. Now that I have heard of at least someone who ate there, I'll have to check it out.

Have you tried Kim Phung yet? Kim Phung is like the grandaddy of the Vietnamese places here. On Lamar, just south of 183 on the east side of the street. My favorite dish there is the Vermicelli (Bun) with Charbroiled Pork and Eggroll. It takes practice to be able to finish a bowl of that, or of the leaner and soupier Pho noodle bowls. It's actually fairly healthy, I think, but it's a lot of volume to consume. Otherwise you get hungry soon after!

Another neat Vietnamese noodle place is Triumph Cafe on Spicewood Springs road near Mopac. It's a coffee shop too (if you've never had Vietnamese coffee with condensed milk, you've got to try it) and has a nice little courtyard in the back.

Old 07-15-2008, 09:50 PM

368 posts, read 1,786,054 times
Thanks for the other recommendations!

Yeah, noodles are common to Vietnamese joints, but it's a specific way it's done, with the rolls, nuts, meat, & fish sauce for which I've been searching. I've been unable to find this style anywhere but the one place in Denver, and the owner went back to Vietnam a few years back. Portland, OR, had great Thai food, as did Vegas, but Vietnamese tended to be overlooked.

Next, Sunflower...maybe Kim Phung after that. I dislike coffee something fierce, but dig on tea, so a place with Thai tea will be on the list of places to visit, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: