Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2009, 07:50 PM

31 posts, read 59,808 times

Advertisements

Hello all, I'm new to the forums and very glad I found it as I have read alot of positive and constructive posts and this is my first time posting. Please bare with my post if it seems long I could really use the advise of the people here.

I am an authorized candidate for agency opening in the State Farm agency pool. Based on today's economy and State Farm Florida pulling out of Florida (no more homeowners insurance is going to be written) There are going to be no more new independant State Farm offices opened in Florida.

To my point, I have visited Dallas and I have visited Houston, but I have not yet visited Austin.

Dallas being my first visit was a very positive suprise, I found it to be a very bustling metropolitan city just like my home of Miami. I know it might sound weird but i'm 28 and all I've ever known is the Miami/New York City life style and while I like it alot and could see myself in a slower pace. I don't think Id adapt well to a complete 180degree change into a "country or slow pace lifestyle"

Houston was "ok" just seemed very spread out and just "did'nt do it for me I guess"

I've always heard nothing but Great things about Austin, as a matter of fact when I was in Dallas and Houston meeting people they would always ask me, "have you gone to austin yet? you would love it"

Doing some of my research and asking the people that I know in Dallas they tell me Austin is definately no miami because Dallas is'nt even there yet, and it might not ever be.

Why am I considering Austin over my initial thought of Dallas? Well here is the question that I have for y'all (LOL, practicing)

Dallas from a new insurance office standpoint might be much more saturated of a market with not as much possibility for growth, where as Austin (based off the research done by the numbers of state farm associates that I have, not people that live there) is much more of a safe bet.

In conclusion and this I hope you've read along so far is one very important point. The reason that the recruiters want me so much for the Texas market is because I am Bi-lingual (English,Spanish)

I know that out of 133 State farm offices in Austin only 6 of them are Spanish speaking, (I do not have those numbers for Dallas yet unfortunately)

Based off what i've read about both cities, although I have not visited Austin I think I'd prefer Dallas, but if the opportunity for growth is much more exponential in Austin I think Austin will have to do. If I have a relatively small disadvantage opening a new bi-lingual insurance in office Dallas as opposed to Austin I think Id prefer Dallas.

I'm not asking for any specific answers to a specific question, just that you understand my situation somewhat and try to offer me your honest advise,

Thanks in advance,
Jose

Last edited by Infoe; 04-10-2009 at 08:36 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2009, 09:51 PM

629 posts, read 1,654,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infoe View Post
Based off what i've read about both cities, although I have not visited Austin I think I'd prefer Dallas, but if the opportunity for growth is much more exponential in Austin I think Austin will have to do. If I have a relatively small disadvantage opening a new bi-lingual insurance in office Dallas as opposed to Austin I think Id prefer Dallas.
You seem to have answered all of your questions in these two sentences. In this economy, I'd go where the best business opportunity is. When it comes to business in general, Dallas is a much LARGER market than Austin. So it's surprising to me that you believe your best opportunity for growth is in Austin.

I'd verify that assumption first, and if it still proves to be true, then come on over and visit for a weekend. You might just find a much more "bustling" city than you initially expected.

Old 04-10-2009, 10:38 PM

5,872 posts, read 8,100,966 times
While both have their fair share of State Farm agents, Austin would probably be a safer bet in starting up a business compared w/ Dallas.

I don't know if the 'pace' and size of Austin would suit you as well as Dallas personally.

Old 04-10-2009, 10:51 PM

4,105 posts, read 8,294,817 times
What you have to do is decide between living satisfactorily in a city that you will enjoy (Dallas) or moving to a city that you will be incompatible with (Austin) so you can surround yourself with superfluous wealth.

Old 04-11-2009, 06:39 AM

544 posts, read 1,668,646 times
interesting -- i'd think austin would have a higher percentage of bi-lingual prospects and thus offer more overall opportuntity

Old 04-11-2009, 07:53 AM

5,870 posts, read 11,939,692 times
Austin may disappoint if you are used to a large city. Have you considered San Antonio?

Old 04-11-2009, 06:21 PM

I think brattpowered hit it on the head and that's exactly where I'm at. I just need to know for sure that austin does offer more opportunity than dallas does.

Moonlady ya might be on to something with the sa possibility.

Old 04-12-2009, 10:04 PM

I have a very aggressive business mentality, while I hold myself to be extremely ethical and I think I am a very helpful person. Miami doesn't always feel that people reciprocate that. A friend advised me of calling the State Farm agents in each respective city that Texas people are nice and they may want to help. Can I hold this statement true? Do you feel calling some of my peers in these respective cities might be able to give me some more insight as to which city would be the better fit? (which area's are untapped, which market has higher premiums etc..)

Old 04-13-2009, 02:33 AM

2 posts, read 4,269 times
I grew up in Dallas and my folks are still there. The only thing I really miss about Dallas is DART (the public transit) -- specifically, the light rail. My parents are big State Fair people and they can now take the train from 1/4mi from their house and it will drop off in front of the main gate for the fairgrounds. That's a 45 minute drive from their house (and horrid parking!) We don't have anything like that in Austin and the likelihood of ever having it is slim. That said, I still choose to live here

Regarding State Farm, I worked for an agent one summer in college. The state office is on the north side of town. There are sometimes three agents within a few blocks of each other and they all say that their business is just fine and it can support their close location. In Dallas, there are certainly areas that will lend themselves to that same thing. But they're likely to be in the Mid-Cities area, not the close-in North Dallas. If you're willing to target a bilingual area, I'd recommend Oak Cliff. It's close to downtown, close to the Uptown condos, and has a large number of homes. The residents are often second/third/fourth generation to the neighborhood and I have a friend who now owns the house her grandmother was born in. It was downhill for a while but the light rail helped push it back on track. And having their city councilwoman become Mayor didn't hurt.

Old 04-13-2009, 08:34 AM

384 posts, read 1,582,347 times
To each his own, but I'd take Austin over Dallas or Houston.

Granted, I'm not into the whole "bustling metropolis" thing myself, but Austin's natural setting is so much more attractive.
There's an overall young vibe, with the college kids and the live music festivals and the outdoor activities along Town Lake.
It's not south Florida by any means, but the lifestyle in the area does include biking and jogging and dining outdoors and swimming and canoeing and making the occasional weekend trip to San Antonio for theme parks and festivals. Dallas does have much more of a "huge metropolis" feeling - people in business suits working in office towers making big bucks.
The Austin area appeals to me and to my brother, but my cousin enjoys the size and bustle of Dallas. I did like Fort Worth pretty well, though.

I would also think that, when trying to break into a new market for something like insurance that Austin having so many students would be a positive. In more "settled" communities, existing agents will have pretty well staked their claim, but with colleges, the students are coming and going from everywhere and don't have pre-existing ties to any agent, so a new agent can come in and be on a level playing field with agents who have been in the city forever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin