Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2009, 01:45 PM

13 posts, read 84,326 times

Advertisements

My family and I are considering relocating to Texas in the next year or so if my company continues layoffs and my job is cut. We are considering Dallas and Austin because there seem to be a lot of software development jobs there - according to Indeed.com. I have done some research myself already about both areas but I wanted to get some input from locals about why they think one city is a better place to live than the other.

Now I know the definition of "better" depends on who you are. Some people might say Austin is better because it is a bit warmer. Some might say Dallas is better because it is a little cooler - just a hypothetical example.

So just tell my why YOU think one is better than the other. Give me all the dirt you can. Be honest and don't hold back anything.

Thanks very much
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2009, 01:49 PM

73,038 posts, read 62,646,469 times
Take it from someone who used to live in Texas. Austin is not better than Dallas and Dallas isn't better than Austin. They are just different. Dallas-Ft. Worth area has all 5 major league sports. Austin has none to speak of, but Austin has its own unique version of being Texan. It is Texan to a different tune as is Dallas. Both are good for software jobs. It depends on what you like. If you like a college town with a big music scene and some unique things, Austin is a good bet. If you like a major-league metropolis, Dallas is very good too.

Old 03-15-2009, 01:52 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,420,086 times
Exactly. I've lived in both, and they're very different. Austin happens to be better for me; it might be better for you, or Dallas might be.

Tell us a bit more about yourself, and THEN we can give you some useful input!

Old 03-15-2009, 02:31 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,702,366 times
Yes, I'll 3rd that. I don't think one is better than the other really. But the first major distinction between the two besides the sports teams, is that Dallas is MUCH bigger than Austin.

Old 03-15-2009, 02:44 PM

6,333 posts, read 18,061,638 times
Quote:
Now I know the definition of "better" depends on who you are.
So, who are you? What do you want in a lifestyle, amenities, outdoor activities, etc. Austin is not better than Dallas or vice versa, as others have said.

What you really want to know is which city might be a better fit for you. We can't answer that questions because you haven't stated your wants and needs or what's important to you.

Steve

Old 03-15-2009, 03:00 PM

13 posts, read 84,326 times
I'm sorry folks. These are exactly the responses I was trying to avoid when I said "..So just tell my why YOU think one is better than the other". So let me restate to be clear. Tell me things about Austin that YOU like and that YOU think make Austin a better place for you to live than Dallas. Hope that makes sense. If not please tell me so. Thanks again

Old 03-15-2009, 03:06 PM

6,333 posts, read 18,061,638 times
Quote:
Hope that makes sense. If not please tell me so.
No it doesn't make sense. It's like going into a restaurant and insisting the waiter tell you what he likes and why, but refusing to answer any questions about what it is you want.

So, if people were to list out a bunch of stuff they like about either city, what sort of things would you be happy to read about and learn?

Steve

Old 03-15-2009, 03:24 PM

648 posts, read 1,965,258 times
Dallas is bigger. Arguably cheaper RE options and decent light rail set up. Tends to have a very segregated, master planned feel too it. They have been doing lots of work to make their down town trendy, etc. The M streets area is nice. Dallas seems to me to have more of the white collar jobs of Texas, at least finance, etc. I'd guess the job market may be marginally better that way.

Austin is Weird. Hard to explain. Smaller, but growing. Growing, but limited infrastructure to support. Seems to on the verge of many changes, and not clear they will all happen. Funding for a lot of these projects is drying up. IT is definitely one of the strongest sectors, but tends to be smaller companies. Our manufacturing sector needs to transition into greater demand areas quickly. Maybe it will. It is still a college town. Very young. Makes me in my mid 30s feel old. I personally think living close in in Austin is more expensive than Houston or Dallas. If you are more "granola", Austin may be better for you.

My advice, go where you get the darn job. You will find your own type and fit in either place.

HTH

Old 03-15-2009, 03:25 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,702,366 times
What I like about Austin: Smaller town feel, even though it's a mid sized city. The hills. The people. The music. S. Congress. 6th Street. Small surrounding towns & music/dance halls.

What I like about Dallas: Big City. Good nightlife. Several different "districts". Tons of restaurants. Shopping. Proximity to the Piney Woods and small East Texas Towns. Friendly people. Pretty good music scene. Lots of trees surrounding the City.

The 3 hr. distance between Dallas and Austin. ExiledTexan gives a good description.

Old 03-15-2009, 03:26 PM

648 posts, read 1,965,258 times
Dallas is bigger. Arguably cheaper RE options and decent light rail set up. Tends to have a very segregated, master planned feel to it. They have been doing lots of work to make their down town trendy, etc. The M streets area is nice. Dallas seems to me to have more of the white collar jobs of Texas, at least in finance, etc. I'd guess the job market may be marginally better that way.

Austin is Weird. Hard to explain. Smaller, but growing. Growing, but limited infrastructure to support. Seems to on the verge of many changes, and not clear they will all happen. Whether it is on the cusp of becoming better or worse is up to your perspective. Funding for a lot of these projects is drying up. IT is definitely one of the strongest sectors, but tends to be smaller companies. Our manufacturing sector needs to transition into greater demand areas quickly. Maybe it will. It is still a college town. Very young. Makes me in my mid 30s feel old. I personally think living close in in Austin is more expensive than Houston or Dallas. If you are more "granola", Austin may be better for you.

My advice, go where you get the darn job. You will find your own type and fit in either place.

HTH
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin