Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2009, 12:15 PM

37 posts, read 220,794 times

Advertisements

So I went to Austin for the first time last weekend. I've been thinking about relocating for a while and Austin came up to the top of my list for a lot of reasons:

* Lots of tech jobs.
* Affordable cost of living.
* Mild winters compared to Kansas.
* Good nightlife.
* Supports an active outdoor lifestyle.

Unfortunately, I don't think Austin is going to make the cut. Here are some reasons why:

* Poor highway and heavy traffic problems. It seems like Austin outgrew it's infrastructure.
* Austin is a huge sprawl and is growing too fast
* Cheap college graduates are too much competition for decent careers.
* Not much to do other than go to bars.

I will say these positives about Austin for anyone else looking:

* The people are very friendly.
* Austin feels like a very safe place to live.
* The new airport is great and easy to get into and out of.
* Austin has a fun relaxed night life with tons of beautiful college women.

I'll probably circle back after I visit a few other places because there are a lot of pros to living in Austin. Hope someone finds this info helpful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2009, 12:37 PM

22 posts, read 81,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goaliefight View Post

Unfortunately, I don't think Austin is going to make the cut. Here are some reasons why:

* Poor highway and heavy traffic problems. It seems like Austin outgrew it's infrastructure.
* Austin is a huge sprawl and is growing too fast
* Cheap college graduates are too much competition for decent careers.
* Not much to do other than go to bars.
Personally, I'm with you on 99% of your statements. What I am trying to understand is what people in general are looking for when they say there is nothing much else to do other than go to bars. I've read similar things on this forum in regard to Austin. Truly, no malice intended but what kinds of things are you looking to do? Is the gulf coast too far to be considered a positive? Are the pro sports in Houston, San Antonio, and Dallas too far to be considered a positive? What is Austin lacking that would make it a positive for you? Again, no disrespect, just need some edification on my end. For me there is a great deal of things to do in Austin...but that is what fits my lifestyle and personal choices. To each his own as they say. Just want to understand a bit better. Enjoy your day.

Old 04-06-2009, 12:42 PM

4,105 posts, read 8,291,849 times
I agree with most things as well, except for not having anything to do except go to the bars. You can also drink at the movie theater, county park and coffee shop. In all seriousness though, you did mention the outdoor opportunities in the "pros" list. They should count as something to do.

Old 04-06-2009, 12:50 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,885,842 times
If you like outdoor activities (like kayaking, hiking, biking, running, watersports) there is plenty to do right here. Also plenty of outdoor cafes and festivals. And if you like college sports, that's plenty more to do.

I agree with the rest of the list, though.

Old 04-06-2009, 12:53 PM

10 posts, read 75,313 times
Yep- can't agree with the last 2 posts more. There is so much more to do in Austin than go to bars. And what about all the live music- yes, now most of the time that does happen in bars, but where else in the country can you have your pick of live music any night of the week. Plus, there is the lakes to go kayaking, all the natural swimming holes like Barton Creek and Hamilton Pool, plenty of hiking, biking, running courses, disc golf anyone? We have the Alamo Drafthouse (several locations) where you can go to see a movie AND eat dinner AND have a beer at the same time! There is all kinds of dang festivals (Austin Rodeo and SXSW just finished), some nice museums downtown, bi-weekly farmers markets, etc....So if you say there is not anything to do in Austin besides going to bars, you must have missed all the other wonderful things (because you were in the bars!

Old 04-06-2009, 12:57 PM

8,007 posts, read 10,434,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 711mum View Post
Personally, I'm with you on 99% of your statements. What I am trying to understand is what people in general are looking for when they say there is nothing much else to do other than go to bars. I've read similar things on this forum in regard to Austin. Truly, no malice intended but what kinds of things are you looking to do? Is the gulf coast too far to be considered a positive? Are the pro sports in Houston, San Antonio, and Dallas too far to be considered a positive? What is Austin lacking that would make it a positive for you? Again, no disrespect, just need some edification on my end. For me there is a great deal of things to do in Austin...but that is what fits my lifestyle and personal choices. To each his own as they say. Just want to understand a bit better. Enjoy your day.
To answer your questions, yes, they are too far. It's like the other post about Austin being an island - yes San Antonio, Dallas, and Houston have a lot to do, but they are not that close (with the exception of SA, but even that can be a 2 hour drive depending on where you are going to/coming from). In other words, they are not day trips. The museums in Austin aren't great, there's really no zoo, no amusement/theme parks, etc.

Old 04-06-2009, 01:14 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,109,315 times
Well, the lack of amusement/theme parks should be plus in my book!

Austin is a creative town. Really and truly.

And one reason why, I think, is the lack of pre-packaged entertainment (like Vegas or Orlando)! People in Austin, to a much greater extent than many other places, create things themselves.

You won't find me or my neighbors in bars or at a theme park. You will find them outside on the trails, around Ladybird Lake or in a garden. You will find them creating things to sell on etsy, opening small businesses, and sewing clothes to sell or swap. My neighbors volunteer at SafePlace, Big Brother/Big Sisters, and the Junior League. Folks on my block play competitive bridge, play competitive chess, and play league darts. They work from home and have another business on the side. They raise children and write books. They are involved in neighborhood associations, they follow city zoning cases and block-walk for political candidates!

There is a creative spark to this city that is hard to find elsewhere. We only sit and watch the Longhorns and even then, lordy, such wheel-and-dealing, glad-handing, making contacts goes on at games!!

(And I grew up elsewhere -- I actually worked at an amusement park for years as a teenage, but in Austin, I do not miss them for a second!)

Old 04-06-2009, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 711mum View Post
Personally, I'm with you on 99% of your statements. What I am trying to understand is what people in general are looking for when they say there is nothing much else to do other than go to bars.
A real zoo, amusement park, the beach, and water parks are all things that I enjoy through out the summer. I didn't get a chance to visit the lake, but I'm sure it fills some of those summer entertainment voids.

One cool thing about Austin is that it is more more than 3 hours in any direction from something fun to do on a weekend. For me, I would just rather live in the place that already has the summer/weekend fun I want.

But entertainment really isn't my big gripe with Austin, it's the traffic and highway problems. I would die of a heart attack if I had to commute to work in Austin. And I-35 strikes me as a "widow maker".

I was hoping Austin was a laid back town that was easy to navigate but my perception was much different than the reality of it.

Old 04-06-2009, 01:23 PM

593 posts, read 1,378,809 times
Austin outgrew its infrastructure - Yes, but people keep moving here and demanding more infrastructure which in turn leads to more people moving here and demanding more infrastructure which then leads to - Austin is a huge sprawl. Go Figure.

Old 04-06-2009, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbieGirl View Post
Yep- can't agree with the last 2 posts more. There is so much more to do in Austin than go to bars. And what about all the live music- yes, now most of the time that does happen in bars, but where else in the country can you have your pick of live music any night of the week.
I forgot to mention the music. It's a great place for seeing music. Not really my scene anymore, but Austin has plenty of music if thats what you are into.

Again, entertainment wasn't my main gripe. It was traffic and failure of the highway infrastructure to grow with the city's needs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin