Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2009, 08:49 PM

212 posts, read 477,620 times

Advertisements

Is this a sign of the apocalypse in Austin? I lived in New York City in the early '90's when aggressive squeegee men terrorized motorists coming into Manhattan for work in the morning. Rudy Giuliani, the lone Republican who dared to challenge the squeegee terrorists, ended up winning two terms in an overwhelmingly Democratic city with the promise of eliminating this menace. And he did it! I've just witnessed two squeegee men doing the same thing at I35 and Airport Blvd. Folks won't even move up to the crosswalk because of their fear. Is this what Austin has become - New York City at its worst in the early '90's? Where are the mayoral and city council candidates on this issue? The outlook is bleak from my viewpoint....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2009, 09:42 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,416,260 times
I've encountered them once (at I35 and Parmer), but a simple shake of my head moved him on.

Old 04-09-2009, 10:28 AM

2,522 posts, read 6,038,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogramjet View Post
Is this a sign of the apocalypse in Austin? I lived in New York City in the early '90's when aggressive squeegee men terrorized motorists coming into Manhattan for work in the morning. Rudy Giuliani, the lone Republican who dared to challenge the squeegee terrorists, ended up winning two terms in an overwhelmingly Democratic city with the promise of eliminating this menace. And he did it! I've just witnessed two squeegee men doing the same thing at I35 and Airport Blvd. Folks won't even move up to the crosswalk because of their fear. Is this what Austin has become - New York City at its worst in the early '90's? Where are the mayoral and city council candidates on this issue? The outlook is bleak from my viewpoint....
This goes back to "Cheech and Chong"...or at least the album called Los Conchitos, where the bum walks up to their car in LA and says(in Chongs' classic old man voice), "Hey, how are you folks doing? Hey, what can I do for you? Can I wash your windows for you?...Cheech, "No, no, that's okay"...Bum.."no no, hold on a sec, let me wipe your window for you."..Cheech, "Hey man, that's okay..hey, get out of here...HEY!"....

And this was in 1973............Things haven't changed.....I saw a COLLEGE student, or at least a younger looking kid off Guadalupe, walk up with a squeegee at the intersection......and this was in 2007, when things were a lot better economically........just think of the "Squeegee Washer" as another species in the taxonomy that is Panhandler Austinicus..........

Give them credit..at least they are trying to perform a service......most bums seem to expect Money for Nothing, and usually get it......what happened to the good old days when you at least got a little entertainment?

Old 04-09-2009, 10:31 AM

3,202 posts, read 6,021,687 times
It's a North Austin thing...gawd I swear that part of town is going downhill fast!!

Old 04-09-2009, 12:49 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,107,786 times
I usually just smile and shake my head, I never have any problems. I have had squeege guys go a head and clean my window for free and I have had them play peek-a-boo with my toddler in his car seat.

I do prefer the folks who just have a sign. I tend to hand out bottles of water in the summer. I rarely ever have cash to hand out but I do meet their eyes and smile. I've never had anyone get hostile.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin