Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2009, 04:42 AM

3,787 posts, read 7,002,897 times

Advertisements

What is your opinion on planting large shrubs right in front of the windows? . Any drawbacks? Recommendations? Experience? Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2009, 05:52 AM

81 posts, read 221,897 times
Huh? I guess my opinion is that it makes it hard to see out of the windows. Sounds to me like you're having a debate with someone about whether to plant large shrubs right in front of the windows. If so, I agree with you.

Old 05-08-2009, 06:34 AM

I'm not having a debate. I'm seriously wondering about planting next to the house. It's a personal preference. I'd rather look at green shrubs than someone's side of the house. I have questions. Here we have weeping tile all round the house and are encouraged not to plant next to the house. (although I still did because I'm a deviant) Do Austin homes have weeping tile? Also, some trees and shrubs do hang over fences.

I'd have to let neighbors know about this and that I would be prepared to trim their side clean with the fence if that is what they wanted. I'm just trying to get a feel for how it is in neighborhoods with homes that are in close proximity to each other.

While I haven't spent my life living close to other homes I did grow up where the lots were very small and I can remember my father and the neighbor going at it over the property line. We even had it surveyed and had stakes put in the ground. The neighbor still went out and moved the stakes. lol

I suppose this is just another what's a good, fast growing shrub to plant in front of the window question...something that would not be invasive, or if there is tile, get into that. I like looking at green leaves when I look out, it's relaxing.

Old 05-08-2009, 06:58 AM

15,269 posts, read 35,650,196 times
Quote:
Here we have weeping tile all round the house
Not sure what that is, but that doesn't mean it isn't around, I guess .

I have seen shrubs right outside windows; in fact, at my last house I had that on two front windows that faced the street. They were sparse enough to see through from the house but dense enough to block easy vision into the house from the street. They also blocked a lot of sun (it was a west-facing house). OF course, I have no idea what kind of plant they were (I am pretty clueless about most plants ).

Where we live now, our neighbor has a large shrub next to his house that blocks the view of his A/C unit from the street. It sometimes spreads out over our property, but I don't really care (it is a plant, ya know?) and he trims it when it really needs it.

I would recommend one of the local nurserys, I bet they can help you over the phone, even.

Old 05-08-2009, 07:02 AM
AGA

729 posts, read 2,708,173 times
The only thing I have to offer on this topic is that in general, safety type people say not to plant big bushy things near windows because it gives burglars easy cover hide and to sneak in....

I do understand not wanting to see the side of someones house though...We only have one window on ground level that looks upon or neighbors siding and we just keep that shade down! since the window is not situated for good light anyway

As an aside, I am always a fan of crepe myrtle, but you do have to be vigilant on pruning or it can really get out of hand.

Old 05-08-2009, 07:05 AM

1,774 posts, read 3,795,973 times
In our previous home, we had large shrubs in front of the windows. I like the extra privacy and greenery, although we were told they also give privacy to anyone who might be interested in breaking in. That didn't stop me from having them, just mentioning it fwiw.

In our present home, we planted low-growing shrubs (dwarf pittosporum) on the sides of the house and taller, but less concealing plants in front (banana plant, Japanese elm) in the front. I've been happier with the look of that than the large shrubs. They have more vertical growth without the spread and still provide something green/alive to look at. You'd have to contact an area nursery to find out about plants suitable for where you live and where you intend to plant them.

Generally, houses in Austin don't have basements so I'm not familiar with weeping tiles. What state do you live in now, btw?

Old 05-08-2009, 07:14 AM

The weeping tile is for drainage. We have sooo much water in the ground it's to keep it flowing. The weeping tile is connected to a pipe which drains into the basement where it flows into the hole where the sump pump is. From the hole in the basement it's pumped out via pipe out to the fields. The farmers around here put in huge drainage pipes.

We have some BIG ditches along the road. Big enough to kayak in. I can dig three feet down here and hit water. I love water. I suppose I better start liking dry. Oh god, this move is going to be a trip.

I will take advantage of the nursery.

I can't tell you where I live because if my enemies find out they'll come and get me. Ok, seriously, don't send the paddy wagon.

Old 05-08-2009, 07:40 AM

1,774 posts, read 3,795,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtoiletsmkgdflrpots View Post
The weeping tile is for drainage. We have sooo much water in the ground it's to keep it flowing. The weeping tile is connected to a pipe which drains into the basement where it flows into the hole where the sump pump is. From the hole in the basement it's pumped out via pipe out to the fields. The farmers around here put in huge drainage pipes.

We have some BIG ditches along the road. Big enough to kayak in. I can dig three feet down here and hit water. I love water. I suppose I better start liking dry. Oh god, this move is going to be a trip.

I will take advantage of the nursery.

I can't tell you where I live because if my enemies find out they'll come and get me. Ok, seriously, don't send the paddy wagon.
I don't think anyone is going to search state-wide. You seem to be a likable person.

Old 05-08-2009, 07:41 AM

22 posts, read 81,651 times
I recommend contacting the Master Gardener's association if you have one in your area. The MG's in the states I've lived have been associated with the local ag college...so they are always up to date on the newest plantings and research. Obviously you'll need something that can tolerate the water, 'wet feet' as we call it here. The MG's can give you better info as to the type of plant that would be best to plant in your area (and I mean just more than the climate zone) and for your specific situation. Nurserys would be of great help but I'd still see what the MG's say; they may be able to guide you into something beside what one nursery would have in stock. Good luck!

Old 05-08-2009, 10:03 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,083,166 times
The City of Austin water conservation website has some great planting guides for plants that do well in this area and use less water. The guides have colored photos and detailed information on each plant. City of Austin - City of Austin - Grow Green

You will want an evergreen (that does not mean pine) that keeps its leaves all year round.

Planting for privacy and or to shade the windows to reduce your energy consumption is a perfectly reasonable thing to do.

We usually don't have weeping tiles (drainage tiles) here around the foundation as basements are rare.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin