Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2009, 02:24 PM

8,021 posts, read 10,498,953 times

Advertisements

I am protesting my tax appraisal. I just received paperwork back from them saying the there is an Informal Hearing on one date and a formal hearing on another date.

What's the difference between the two? And why are two hearings necessary?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2009, 02:40 PM

16,786 posts, read 49,231,545 times
My profile has links to websites that may help you understand the protest process and prepare for it.

Old 05-23-2009, 03:55 PM

2,185 posts, read 6,449,713 times
You are supposed to go to the informal, if you accept what they say there is no need for the formal. Be aware, they are being really strict this year and not reducing values without proper documentation. They want to see 5 comparables. We got ours reduced but not by much.

Last edited by llkltk; 05-23-2009 at 05:10 PM..

Old 05-23-2009, 04:49 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,937,791 times
This info is for Travis county, but I suspect others are similar:

Informal is where you sit with a single appraiser in a cubicle, and go over the numbers. They will show you how they came up with the value, and you can provide your documentation as to why it should be lower. If your documentation is decent (haven't been yet this year, so I don't know how strict they are now) they will make you an offer of a lower value. You can accept, or go to the formal hearing. You can also skip the informal and go straight to the formal, but I don't see much benefit in that. You might be happy with the outcome of the informal.

The formal is with 3 board members, and sometimes another person, and it is recorded and public record. They will also show you how they came up with your valuation, but they are more concerned about time and may want to hurry you up. At the end, they take a vote and decide what to do. You can go to the TravisCAD office and request any recordings of the formal appraisals (I think it's $5 for a CD-ROM copy)... so if you wanted to, you could listen to a few in advance and see what techniques are used.

What is the reason for 2? Probably there is some sort of right that you have to protest and be heard by the actual Appraisal Board members. The informal exists, I think, to weed out as many as possible in advance, so the board isn't swamped handling every protest. During the informal hearings, the appraiser you talk to has authority to change the value to a certain extent, and often this is enough for most people.

Old 05-23-2009, 05:28 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,139,782 times
I had my meeting with the williamson county appraiser on friday. One house we got the value reduced by $4k, about half. They still think houses are worth more that they really are. Pretty strict. THe other house I got nowhere on even with an appraisal. They didn't approve of the comps that they used.

Old 05-23-2009, 07:23 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,888,175 times
And don't forget the next step if you don't like either of those, Arbitration! It's a lot of fun! I'm an arbitrator for the state of Texas' comptroller's office and I get to arbitrate the cases where people still aren't happy after a formal and informal meeting.

Old 05-23-2009, 10:01 PM

8,021 posts, read 10,498,953 times
So, I have about 10 comps that my realtor got for me. These are houses that sold in the last 12 months - same age, same approximate size, all in our section or neighboring sections of Steiner. Will that be enough? Also, there is a house that is the same age and same floorplan as ours in a neighboring section, only it has more upgrades than ours does (3-car garage, Corian counters, etc.). It was listed for $25,000 less than the TCAD says ours is worth. It has not closed yet, so our Realtor can't get the actual price paid, but I have the printout of the listing info. And I sincerely doubt it sold for more than the asking price. What else do I need?

Old 05-24-2009, 06:09 AM

35 posts, read 95,700 times
Default Condo Appraisal (Williamson Co.)

Just bought brand new condo in February and my appraisal came in $10000 higher than the purchase price. What are my chances of getting the appraisal dropped to the purchase price? Thanks.

Old 05-24-2009, 09:18 AM

313 posts, read 788,565 times
Is price per square foot of 5 homes sold on your street in the past 2 years enough to make an argument or will they look for more information?

Old 05-24-2009, 12:29 PM

6,333 posts, read 18,105,332 times
Quote:
What's the difference between the two? And why are two hearings necessary?
atxcio outlined it well.

I'll add that it's similar to a plea bargain. If you don't take the informal offer, it's off the table and you could end up doing worse in the formal.

The best strategy is to be prepared and be polite, but don't roll over and let them abuse you either. At 2.2% for most of Austin, they are stealing $220 for every $10K you are over valued. I've been doing a lot of free CMA's for protesters and some are $30K to $50K above market value, so it's worth going in and fighting.

Steve
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: