Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2009, 12:32 PM

65 posts, read 139,741 times

Advertisements

Looking for info on both putting in a pool and converting my large, covered patio into a screened in room or sunroom (hopefully able to tie into AC or add a separate unit if we go for an enclosed sunroom). Not sure which we'd do first yet... I guess that depends on the price.

We're in the NW RR area. Any ideas or recommendations are appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2009, 09:02 PM

198 posts, read 500,701 times
We are in NE RR and I too would appreciate any advice on this subject. We had 2 people come and give us estimates for a pool; both were about what we expected ~ 50K. The difference is that one is a large company the other a small company, so the anxiety of choosing has me paralyzed at this point. Not sure if I can say names here, Schock77 if you dm me I'll can share the PB names.

Last summer we had 2 estimates for screening in our back patio (no roof) one at 25K and the other at 80K The economy hadn't really started to tank, so I don't know if those prices have gone up or down with the changing economy - or if the companies are still in business. We really want to cover & screen our patio; we had a conservatory in the UK and it was so nice.....our cat loved chasing bugs and watching the birds. Sigh, although we only lived there 3 years, we miss so much - our old house, walkies in the park; OK off topic. Sorry.

Old 07-29-2009, 09:08 PM

15,269 posts, read 35,642,308 times
The 25k for enclosing a patio is in the ballpark, but the 80k is outrageous (even w/o know the details!).

Old 07-29-2009, 09:11 PM

29 posts, read 99,002 times
We had a pool put in about 2 years ago. It cost $55,000, so that price sounds about like what we found. We went with a large pool building company and the experience of the build was terrible. We received little to no personal attention from the builders and everything they did was subcontracted out to other contractors. Maybe if we went with a smaller company we could have had more personal attention paid to us. I could have just been the general contractor myself and saved a ton of money. We have not had any problems so far with the pool and everything on it seems to work great. We went with a chlorinated pool but with an ozonator so the chlorine in the is at a minimum. I had heard many bad stories about saltwater pools so we decided to stay away from them and so far it has been worth it. Pools are fun but we don't use it nearly as much as I thought we would. It has become a full time job but I have to say it is worth it. It adds a setting to our house that I just love and I spend lots of time out there just hanging around. Good luck with your pool building experience hope this helps ya.

Old 07-30-2009, 10:37 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,073,910 times
Last year I contracted to enclose an existing covered wood deck 11.5' x 16.5' to create a sunroom, it cost $14,000. Another contractor bid $27,000 for the same work. One side of the deck was against the house so it took 3 walls, wood stud, insulated walls, floor and attic, hardie board siding, 1 door insulated glass windows, painted drywall & tile floor interior.

One of the big sunroom companies that advertises at Sam's Club wanted $25,000 to do the same job with white aluminum walls, single pane glass. Which would have looked like an obvious add on and would not have blended with the rest of the house as well as what we built.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin