Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2011, 01:08 PM

4,710 posts, read 7,103,522 times

Advertisements

We are thinking about buying a house for sale in Deer Park at Maple Run, which is close to MoPac and Davis. Does anyone have any experience with this area/neighborhood? I notice that there is an HOA associated with it. Anybody know about that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2011, 01:18 PM

3,202 posts, read 6,020,875 times
That area seems to be really hit-or-miss. Immediate NE of that neighborhood becomes shockingly run down for the reputation of that part of town - notice when driving out Eskew to get to Brodie. I won't sugarcoat it - it looks like Dove Springs.

I would look in Cherry Creek instead. If you are looking in the 180-240 range for ~2000sf and don't mind a 20-30 year old house, then Cherry Creek would meet that requirement, and with better location. The bonus of these two areas is that you will still be in the Crockett attendance area, so you won't be paying a premium for the schools.

Old 02-07-2011, 01:55 PM

I didn't know you're price range, but here's a listing in the area for 219K:

2201 Dry Tortugas Trl, Austin, TX 78747 MLS# 2139821 - Zillow

Old 02-07-2011, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobert View Post
I didn't know you're price range, but here's a listing in the area for 219K:

2201 Dry Tortugas Trl, Austin, TX 78747 MLS# 2139821 - Zillow
Sorry, wrong link. Here's the correct one:
8700 Corran Ferry Dr, Austin, TX 78749 MLS# 8663570 - Zillow

Old 02-07-2011, 08:25 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,073,910 times
Quote:
That area seems to be really hit-or-miss. Immediate NE of that neighborhood becomes shockingly run down for the reputation of that part of town - notice when driving out Eskew to get to Brodie. I won't sugarcoat it - it looks like Dove Springs.

I would look in Cherry Creek instead. If you are looking in the 180-240 range for ~2000sf and don't mind a 20-30 year old house, then Cherry Creek would meet that requirement, and with better location. The bonus of these two areas is that you will still be in the Crockett attendance area, so you won't be paying a premium for the schools.
As usual Jobert doesn't know what he is talking about when it comes to the west side of South Austin, which he tries to put down at every opportunity.

I live on the other side of Mopac in Legend Oaks and drive through that are all the time. It is fine, a good neighorhood. It is probably one of the best areas in the central parts of far South Austin. Crime in that entire area West of Brodie Lane is much lower then all of South Austin to the East of Brodie Lane.

Some of the neighborhoods around Eskew are older and may have been built around the same time as Dove Springs and so has similar architecture. But other then that there is nothing in common between the two neighborhoods. Eskew is a decent middle class neighborhood. Most of the houses in between Eskew and Davis Lane are much newer then what is around Eskew.

The green area between Deer Park at Maple Run and MoPac is a nature preserve. So it will remain a nice buffer. Here is a good description of the neighborhood. They have an active neighborhood association which is very interested in maintaining the quality of the neighborhood. Austin Texas Real Estate - The Deer Park at Maple Run Neighborhood in Oak Hill

If you look at Google Maps the large green area South of Davis Lane/Deer Lane and West of Brodie Lane is another large nature preserve (Blowing Sink). City of Austin - Austin Nature Preserves System

There is a high pressure gas main running East to West through a portion of Deer Park, and all of South Austin. I'd be a little uncomfortable having one of the houses closest to it. You can see it in Google Maps satellite view.

Deer Park is a short distance from Dick Nichols park as well as those in the Circle C green belts south of Slaughter Lane. The Wild Flower Center and Veloway not far to the South. There is good shopping and restaurants on both Brodie Lane and at Slaughter and Escarpment as well as up at William Cannon and Sunset Valley.

There is a hospital with an emergency room near the West end of Slaughter Lane. Deer park is a good location with easy access to and from MoPac.

Living in SW Austin has numerous advantages including great access to all of the delights of the hill country such as: Lake Travis, Canyon Lake, Blue Hole, Guadalupe River, Guadalupe River State Park, Camp Ben McCulloch‎, Pedernales State Park, Hamilton's Pool, Westcave Preserve, Riemers Ranch Park, Pace Bend Park, Krause Springs. All of these lakes and the Guadalupe have numerous campgrounds and parks. IN the SW edges of Austin you have the Barton Creek Wilderness Park, Wildflower Center, Commons Ford Metropolitan Park, Stephenson Nature Preserve, Deer Park Maple Run Preserve, Blowing Sink Research Management Area, Goat Cave Karst Nature Preserve, and the short pleasant drives through the hill country to the communities of Gruene, Wimberley, Driftwood, Dripping Springs, Bee Cave & Marble Falls.

Old 02-08-2011, 07:59 AM

All those amenities are accessible from all the neighborhoods mentioned, and pretty much from anywhere south of the river, not just Southwest Austin©.

Last edited by jobert; 02-08-2011 at 08:41 AM..

Old 02-08-2011, 11:40 AM

After running some errands today I drove through the Sendera and Deer Run neighborhoods, the whole area is very nice. Very well maintained homes. I would not hesitate to live in the area other then a few houses next door to the petroleum pipelines.

I also explored the neighborhoods North of Deer Lane, Cherry Creek, Maple Run and Woodstone Village, all of the neighborhoods are decent. Those close to and north of Eskew are late 1970-early 1980 homes, all were nicely maintained with lots of landscaping added, showing the residents care about their homes. I saw no run down or poorly maintained homes. It is a decent blue collar neighborhood.
Everything south of Alexandria and the South end of Latta Drive is newer, late 1980-to recent housing, all very nice.

Old 02-08-2011, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
After running some errands today I drove through the Sendera and Deer Run neighborhoods, the whole area is very nice. Very well maintained homes. I would not hesitate to live in the area other then a few houses next door to the petroleum pipelines.

I also explored the neighborhoods North of Deer Lane, Cherry Creek, Maple Run and Woodstone Village, all of the neighborhoods are decent.
You're right, not only do they have similar architectural styles, they have the same models it appears:.

Compare Woodstone Village in Southwest Austin©:
Google Maps

To Dove Springs in SE Austin:
Google Maps

Last edited by jobert; 02-08-2011 at 12:36 PM..

Old 02-08-2011, 03:11 PM

Quote:
All those amenities are accessible from all the neighborhoods mentioned, and pretty much from anywhere south of the river, not just Southwest Austin©.
Yes but they can be accessed from SW Austin without having to drive across town first.

Old 02-08-2011, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
Yes but they can be accessed from SW Austin without having to drive across town first.
You don't have to drive across town for most of those - they are easily accessed from 1626, or 35 south. The others are accessed by 35-to-71 as opposed to Mopac-to-71 for a whopping extra 5 miles of freeway driving - the stretch of 71 between mopac and 35 is the least congested highway in Austin - it adds maybe 2-3 minutes of driving...hardly a valid reason to overpay 100K for a house. The real clincher is the nightmare at the "Y" in Oak Hill which has to be driven through regardless of where you live. Why not cut to the chase, and tell the OP to move west of the Y, if that's what makes it worth living east of there in the first place.

You forgot to mention the other areas and towns more accessible from I-35: McKinney Roughs, McKinney Falls, Lost Pines, Bastrop, and all the small towns between San Antonio and Austin: Gruene, New Braunfels, Lockhart, Wimberley, San Marcos, etc.

Last edited by jobert; 02-08-2011 at 04:00 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin