Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2011, 11:57 PM

109 posts, read 232,625 times

Advertisements

We're leaving the hills and heading to a place right on S. Congress, near the Continental Club. Definitely know what to expect from a noise/people standpoint just because of all the attractions, nightlife, etc. I know for a week during SXSW it will be insane. But what else?

Just wondering if there is anything else to prepare for when living on such a busy area of such a popular street. Like, does the road close down for a week at a time every year for a random festival? Any other strange happenings you wouldn't know about if you only visited the area on weekends/weeknights?

I've run into strange stuff in the past, lived in a quirky/congested area of another town and the only real road you could use to get out would close down all the time for parades, festivals, etc. Or another town where we lived in an apartment that was not within 2 miles of a fire station, but every time there was an incident the fire trucks would take a route right past our place, sirens blaring, usually after 3AM. Stuff like that, you usually can't find out until it's too late.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2011, 12:52 AM

26 posts, read 49,819 times
Default SoCo

I hope you enjoy your new place! We are just a few blocks south, and 2 blocks west of Congress. I'm not sure what noise will be like on a typical (i.e. not SXSW) night, but surely it won't be too terrible. Once in a while there is a classic car or motorcycle rally weekend, with all these un-mufflered vehicles parading up and down Congress, but other than that, I can't think of anything epically disruptive.

Old 02-06-2011, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miss-speech View Post
I hope you enjoy your new place! We are just a few blocks south, and 2 blocks west of Congress. I'm not sure what noise will be like on a typical (i.e. not SXSW) night, but surely it won't be too terrible. Once in a while there is a classic car or motorcycle rally weekend, with all these un-mufflered vehicles parading up and down Congress, but other than that, I can't think of anything epically disruptive.
Thanks! I'm totally expecting noise just from all the bars/restaurants and foot traffic. Shouldn't be bad, nothing like living in the dorms.

Old 02-06-2011, 08:00 AM

6,333 posts, read 18,060,267 times
If you're in a house, you'll experience ongoing parking hassles and clogged streets, people walking down the streets to and from cars at 2AM, talking loud.

You'll also find it to be an extremely convenience geographic location, close to everything you need to enjoy Austin.

Steve

Old 02-06-2011, 08:15 AM

7,228 posts, read 16,107,786 times
Get involved with the neighborhood association and list serve, DM for more details, they keep their finger on the pulse of everything, like street closures, the Congress Avenue bridge is regularly closed for parades, and what is going on at City Hall that affects the area. Welcome! (It will be nuts the whole month of March thanks to SXSW)

Old 02-06-2011, 08:17 AM

844 posts, read 2,020,783 times
Is the neighborhood called "SoCo" officially? I know that's the 'entertainment area' but is the residential area off Congress called that or is it Travis Heights?

Old 02-06-2011, 08:29 AM

6,333 posts, read 18,060,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiacook View Post
Is the neighborhood called "SoCo" officially? I know that's the 'entertainment area' but is the residential area off Congress called that or is it Travis Heights?
It's Travis Heights east of S. Congress, west of IH35, south of Oltorf, north of Riverside. Technically, not all of that geographic area has the legal description of "Travis Heights", but the entire area is commonly known as that now.

West of S. Congress is most commonly called Bouldin and Dawson neighborhoods.

The street S. Congress itself is shortened to SoCo, but "SoCo" been adopted in common Austin vernacular to mean that section of the 78704 zip that straddles S. Congress on both sides, and the street itself.

Thus you can either party at SoCo (S. Congress Ave) or live in SoCo (the surrounding neighborhoods).

Steve

Old 02-06-2011, 08:46 AM

7,228 posts, read 16,107,786 times
Yes, and just to make it more confusing, South River City Citizens, or SRCC is the neighborhood association (not even remotely like an HOA) and it covers everything south of the river, east of Congress, north of Ben White, and west of Parker Lane!

Old 02-06-2011, 11:07 PM

Thanks for the various advice, welcomes, etc. Our address will be xxx S. Congress Ave, so it's definitely SoCo no matter how you look at it, haha. We'll be in an apartment, so I don't know how involved we'll get with the neighborhood associations... I love to be active with that stuff, but don't feel it's my place when I'm a temporary citizen. We'd love to have a house down there, but we're giving this a test run since we both work to the north and have to see if we can tolerate commuting on the Slow-Pac every day. I'm really hoping putting up with the commute will be outweighed by the fantastic walkability. Right now we're in the arboretum area, hate it, never hang out around here and are always driving south for fun.

Old 02-07-2011, 09:06 PM

26 posts, read 49,819 times
Default SoCo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unclemeat View Post
Thanks for the various advice, welcomes, etc. Our address will be xxx S. Congress Ave, so it's definitely SoCo no matter how you look at it, haha. We'll be in an apartment, so I don't know how involved we'll get with the neighborhood associations... I love to be active with that stuff, but don't feel it's my place when I'm a temporary citizen. We'd love to have a house down there, but we're giving this a test run since we both work to the north and have to see if we can tolerate commuting on the Slow-Pac every day. I'm really hoping putting up with the commute will be outweighed by the fantastic walkability. Right now we're in the arboretum area, hate it, never hang out around here and are always driving south for fun.
Or perhaps you will find dream jobs downtown or in 78704!!!

Seriously, I love love love my hood. We can walk or bike to shops, restaurants, town lake, the new branch library, yoga class, and on and on. Our house is small, but I wouldn't trade it for one 3x the size out in the burbs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin