Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2009, 07:03 PM

804 posts, read 1,965,253 times

Advertisements

UT Tightens Admissions To Top 8 Percent (http://www.myfoxaustin.com/dpp/news/local/091609_UT_Tightens_Admissions_To_Top_8_Percent - broken link)

Old 09-16-2009, 07:51 PM

434 posts, read 1,081,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomore07 View Post
UT Tightens Admissions To Top 8 Percent (http://www.myfoxaustin.com/dpp/news/local/091609_UT_Tightens_Admissions_To_Top_8_Percent - broken link)
I think what UT urgently needs is getting rid of its affirmative action policies, and admitting students based on standardized tests such as the SAT, plus extra-curricular activities.

Some schools in Texas are so bad that being in the top 5% means little more than a passing performance at more demanding schools.

Old 09-16-2009, 08:14 PM

2,185 posts, read 6,435,582 times
There are plenty of other schools that are as good as UT. Go somewhere else.

Old 09-16-2009, 08:20 PM

434 posts, read 1,081,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by llkltk View Post
that's a different issue.

the problem right now is one of fairness - some students who are not in the top 10% score higher (or a lot higher) on the SAT than many students in other schools who are in the top 10% of their class.

Old 09-16-2009, 09:26 PM

2,185 posts, read 6,435,582 times
There were idiots in my high school who scored way better than me on the SAT but had the worst grades. I had straight A's. Some people just aren't standardized test takers. Your score on the SAT doesn't necessarily make you a genius.

Old 09-16-2009, 11:26 PM

804 posts, read 1,965,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by llkltk View Post
I agree, but which schools are not also bound by the 10% law, or drowning in overflow from UT and A&M? What majors do they offer? And are they expensive private schools? Are they within distance of any tangible job market? How eager are employers to hire non-UT grads? Personally I'd choose another school out of state.

Old 09-17-2009, 01:04 AM

4,710 posts, read 7,104,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinite45 View Post
I think what UT urgently needs is getting rid of its affirmative action policies, and admitting students based on standardized tests such as the SAT, plus extra-curricular activities.
I have noticed a gradual trend in colleges (nation-wide) putting less weight on standardized tests, not more. I'm not an expert, but that's my impression.

But the 10% (or 8%) system is a strange one - seems like it encourages kids who are good students to enroll in low achieving high schools where it is easier to get to the top. I imagine that colleges don't have to do nearly as much work in admissions if 75% of the incoming class are on "automatic" status.

Old 09-17-2009, 07:25 AM

15,269 posts, read 35,646,924 times
The 'Top 10' rule was not at all the idea of the university, it was an action on the part of the legislature. To be fair, the legislature was only reflected the vocal citizens, but it is a screwball rule. Anyway, as far as I can tell, parents did not like their kids getting rejected from admission to the favorite school based on a test that cannot be predicted ahead of time. Parents wanted a concrete requirement that could be tracked over time - it is pretty easy to tell if you will be in (or not be in) the top 10% from pretty early. The SAT or ACT can 'surprise' some parents late in the game, and there is also no automatic 'in' based on the results, either.

Old 09-17-2009, 07:39 AM

7,228 posts, read 16,107,786 times
The best predictor of college grades is high school grades! There is a tremendous amount of research that demonstrates this. SAT/ACT are very poor predictors of college success.

But it is an odd system (only the TX legislature could have designed it) because it uses discrimination to create a system that maintains diversity. That is, it relies on housing discrimination that creates ISDs that concentrate similar kids provide diversity at the university level.

If kids who fall below the admissions level still want to go to UT, the best bet is to attend UT-SA or UT-Dallas for a year, and then transfer.

Old 09-17-2009, 08:10 AM

60 posts, read 188,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by centralaustinite View Post
The best predictor of college grades is high school grades! There is a tremendous amount of research that demonstrates this. SAT/ACT are very poor predictors of college success.

But it is an odd system (only the TX legislature could have designed it) because it uses discrimination to create a system that maintains diversity. That is, it relies on housing discrimination that creates ISDs that concentrate similar kids provide diversity at the university level.

If kids who fall below the admissions level still want to go to UT, the best bet is to attend UT-SA or UT-Dallas for a year, and then transfer.
Well **** what happened to me then? I had a 3.5 cumulative in high school. Then I went to UW-Madison and barely maintained a 2.0. And no, it wasn't partying that did me in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin