Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2009, 01:38 PM

2,106 posts, read 5,790,067 times

Advertisements

Howdy.
I used to hang out on here quite a bit back in the day. I talked about maybe moving to Austin "some day" but at the time had a pretty good job in the SF bay area. I've never really liked SF all that much. The attitudes sort of suck there and as mentioned by probably 95% of the people from there, its ridiculously expensive.

Well... things have changed a bit. I was laid off a little over a month ago. So since I now have the opportunity to apply for jobs just about anywhere, I started applying for jobs in Austin. But after doing so for a month and not hearing back from anybody at all, I gather that having a resume from out of state is a fatal flaw. In fact most of the ads say:" Locals only" or something like that.

I even signed up for a couple of recruiting agencies. Again- I am getting zero responses from them. I am extremely well-qualified and have almost 8 years of experience, much of it in uber-fast-paced companies in SF. So I am definitely qualified. But again- I am out of state.

I even go as far as to tell them that I rent, can move very quickly, and require no moving assistance.

So... I am starting to think that perhaps I'm going to have to be even more drastic and perhaps actually move there, get some sort of crappy Joe Job for subsistence income, and THEN apply for jobs that way.

But on the other hand I've been reading about local economics in Austin and it sounds like things are not doing well at all and the unemployment rate is sky-high, meaning that there's a lot of competing for jobs to start with.

Sorry for the long post so far. But anyway, I've been looking at rents in Austin. Looks like you can find something pretty decent in the $500-$800 a month range. I have no idea what jobs pay at retail jobs or whatnot, but probably enough to cover rent. So what's the deal with the jobs market there? How bad are things? I also read that the housing market is tanking, which is good for me since I want the prices to be as cheap as possible.

Just putting some feelers out there. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2009, 01:59 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,820,805 times
Where have you been reading your information? Austin has the second lowest unemployment rate behind DC.

Yes, most companies are looking for local address, so if you can move first, and rent something small, sign a 6 month lease so you can move easier, then do it!

Old 09-21-2009, 02:02 PM

7.2% unemployment isn't what I'd call fantastic. But anyhow, yes, I concur that I would probably hav to move there first. Guess I might as well gt it over with because no matter what, moving is a pain in the ass and I am going to have one of the world's biggest yard sales because I've acquired an awful lot of junk in the 9 years I've lived here.

Old 09-21-2009, 02:08 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,820,805 times
Where did you get that number? The latest number I have seen published is 5.4% with DC right below that.

Old 09-21-2009, 02:10 PM

I found it here: Austin unemployment rate at 7.2% in August - Austin Business Journal:

Looks like the rate doubled from a year ago.

Old 09-21-2009, 02:34 PM

3,757 posts, read 9,063,427 times
What's your industry?

Old 09-21-2009, 02:35 PM

Graphic /UI design.

Old 09-21-2009, 02:36 PM

634 posts, read 1,448,845 times
Competition for jobs is fierce. Ridiculously so. Much of that is attributable to the fact that the mega-university here churns out graduates who are not willing to leave the town of their halcyon youth, thus leading employers of all stripes to offer jobs at starting wages of $8.50 an hour to people with college degrees.

Professional employment is even more intensely competitive (i.e. jobs with Freescale, AMD, Samsung or Dell, for example). Austin is not at all like the Bay Area in that it lacks a truly diversified private economy. The few burgeoning industries which existed here, such as the semiconductor industry, have gone through the usual procedures concomitant with an economic slowdown. They have laid off in rounds. Manufacturing jobs are being trimmed, and the other traditional employers such as the state or the aforementioned behemoth university, are tightening their belts with hiring freezes or are only offering part-time jobs sans benefits and any significant prospects to speak of.

All of that being said, there are probably always jobs to be found if you're not averse to waiting tables or bartending. Alas, there are TONS of people in this town with degrees who opt for such employment due to the lack of any more solid opportunities. Or because they are just willing to settle. Who can say?

I sent out nearly 300 resumes over a 7 month period, landed a handful of interviews, and was only able to land a 19 hour a week job with no benefits which requires a four hour commute. (The public transportation here BLOWS!)

Long and short, you will probably need to have an address here, but be prepared for some awful slim pickins.

Best of luck to you!

Old 09-21-2009, 02:50 PM

The pickins' aren't all that great in the Bay Area either. Its like the whole job situation has turned on its head. The unemployment rate here is pushing 12%+. There are very few full time jobs. I actually have a semi-offer from a company here, but its just a 3 month gig which I'm tempted to take. There are many companies "hiring" interns to do the work.

While there are a lot of jobs here per say, I've probably placed 200 resumes or more so far in a 1 month period.

What sucks is that I really, really despise the Bay Area. Its still freakin' overpriced as hell, the attitude here is pompous and artificial, and again- the jobs market and economy is rank. I visited Austin awhile back and liked it... which I assume lots of other young people do as well because- holy crap, its a city you could theoretically actually live in and afford! So ya- I gather it would probably be a hard move. Then again I've been saving cash for the whole 9 years I've lived in the Bay Area, could afford a house there right this minute, and then work at some crappy job for however long it takes to get a "real" job.

So for now I feel like I'm wasting my time here in Cali when I could just get it over with, move there, sort stuff out, and live somewhere I actually want to live. Arg.

Old 09-21-2009, 03:03 PM

1,317 posts, read 4,059,080 times
Yeah, you might want to wait it out for now until things pick up again. I've been unemployed for 3+ months now, and have had only 5 interviews in that amount of time after applying about 65 places, and nothing yet.

Pickin's are slim out here this way right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin