Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2009, 10:48 PM

111 posts, read 295,078 times

Advertisements

I am still trying to hammer out a budget, and I want to get the numbers as close as possible. If I live in a 650 sqft apartment, let me know if my idea of paying 150 dollars a month in electricity is realistic. I will make a short list of my power consumptions:

-Liberal usage of the AC, and little to no heating in the winter.
-Standard home appliances, using washer and drying 2 times a week.
-Two computers running 24 hours a day, monitors only about 8.
-A 27" LCD tv running 10 hours a day.
-Lights on only when needed, using energy efficient bulbs.

Is 150 dollars about right? Or too much? I have been out of the US for 5 years, and in California, I could rack up 150 a month during the summer time with little to no problems. (It could go up to 110-120 in the summer though, so I was blasting the AC)

Thanks for your input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2009, 10:57 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,884,175 times
For a 650 sq ft apartment, you should be able to keep under $150 for electricity even in the hot summer months. Especially if you are in Austin Energy's service location (still regulated, and cheaper per kWh). In the non-summer months, you'll be looking at a lot less.

The LCD TV doesn't draw much energy, 2X per week drying isn't much, and the computers don't use much unless you are using major CPU power (games/rendering). After the A/C, your second biggest power hog (and it will be a distant second) is the fridge.

Old 02-14-2009, 11:03 PM

Ok, so if 150 a month is an overshot, any idea what would be more of a "normal" price? I do have two gaming computers, but they only eat power when actually gaming, so that ill be a max of about 4 hours a day. Even then, I don't have a super computer or anything, so I dont think they will draw more than about 400 watts each.

Would 100 a month, average, be a bit more in line? Thanks a lot for your input! I am trying to cut costs as low as possible, to see if it is actually plausible for me to live off of 10 bucks an hour, assuming that I cannot get more.

Old 02-14-2009, 11:12 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,884,175 times
$100 average over the year for a 650 sq ft apartment I think would be about right. It might even be less. However, that's assuming there are no major problems with the A/C, or some other factor that would cause the A/C usage to be high (like lots of west-facing windows, tall ceilings on the top floor of a multi-story complex, etc). You may be able to get info from Austin Energy or the apartment complex about the actual electric bills for the apartment you are looking at.

Old 02-14-2009, 11:18 PM

Excellent. That is exactly what I needed to hear. Thank you very much.

Old 02-15-2009, 04:08 PM

207 posts, read 859,016 times
Do you really need to leave the computers on 24/7? I don't know what gear you have but if they really pull 400 watts each you could easily save $15 or $20/month (maybe more) just by turning them off for 8 hours while you sleep. Do you run Folding@home or something?

Old 02-15-2009, 04:59 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,107,786 times
I live in an energy efficient house and all my appliances are energy star rated, but 2400 sq feet, and five people, (and we keep it cold in the summer), our last electric bill was $40! I recently did an energy audit with Austin Energy and found out that I spent $752 a year on electricity. Two computers but they go off at night.

Much will depend on the quality of the construction of your apartment, the orientation (avoid units with lots of western exposure, the quality of the windows, and whether or not the complex has solar screens. Look for a shady, first floor unit.

good luck

Old 02-15-2009, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tourbound129 View Post
Do you really need to leave the computers on 24/7? I don't know what gear you have but if they really pull 400 watts each you could easily save $15 or $20/month (maybe more) just by turning them off for 8 hours while you sleep. Do you run Folding@home or something?
My computers do work at night in the form of torrents. Plus, when two computers are in a confined space, they heat the room enough to allow you to avoid using the heater during the winter. Call me weird, but my computer only turns off in thunderstorms and vacations.

Old 02-16-2009, 08:42 AM

15,269 posts, read 35,646,924 times
Quote:
Plus, when two computers are in a confined space, they heat the room enough to allow you to avoid using the heater during the winter. Call me weird, but my computer only turns off in thunderstorms and vacations.
It is kind of odd, but most electric applicances that do not vent (e.g., not the dryer or over) will actually operate for close to free in the winter, since they offset heating costs. Lights, computers, TVs all shed heat into the house. On the flip-side, most of these really cost twice as much to use in the summer, since you have to shed that heat via your AC.

Old 02-16-2009, 12:46 PM

32 posts, read 74,446 times
Latsabb,

Since your usage seems to parallel mine and both of us wanted to get an accurate picture of monthly costs in Austin, I will suggest that you consider water and garbage costs too. Coming from CA, USA -- most apartments I've rented have covered these costs. Not true in Austin, and they can be significant depending upon your usage. Wish I had personal data to share with you but I haven't even moved into the place the Partner and I found yet. I join her in mid-March also. I will say that it looks like budgeting $200-$300/mo for all utilities sounds right based on our investigations. 850 sq ft duplex with energy efficient new appliances with the key exceptions of an old water heater, and little to none insulation in the walls/around pipes.

We are a customer of Austin Energy(and like others have said/implied, you want to be too if you can help it). BTW, yes my estimate of $300 hopefully represents a MAX. But when looking for a rental I wanted to be *sure* of my monthly costs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin