Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2009, 06:55 PM

24 posts, read 96,526 times

Advertisements

Long story short, I am 2 years removed from college graduation and I am "possibly" getting a job with the IRS office (which is in the southern part of Austin, TX). I was just there a few days ago getting fingerprinted and getting my paperwork filed. I am looking for a place that is fairly cheap, but close to downtown (I hear Sixth Street is where the popular bars are). Can anyone give me any suggestions on apartments to look at, locations to look at, and places to avoid? Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2009, 07:55 PM

4,604 posts, read 8,234,548 times
Take a look at Austin's Small Planet Guide. It'll give you some descriptions of neighborhoods.

Old 10-16-2009, 08:36 PM

291 posts, read 800,914 times
If I worked south of the river, I'd live south of the river.

Old 10-17-2009, 08:52 AM

302 posts, read 690,797 times
Same here! Unless you plan to ride a bike to work or something. Traffic during rushhour in the city is the same as any other city. It sucks.

Old 10-17-2009, 09:20 AM

So it I'm working south of the river, I should find apartments south of the river as well to avoid the horrible traffic...

Old 10-17-2009, 10:16 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,083,166 times
Yes and stay WEST of the I-35 freeway, the East side has a lot of problems. Look in the neighborhoods around South Congress Avenue and South First Street. That will give you easy access to work and the SoCo neighborhood, an up and coming area. There are some nice new apartments in that area as well as many older ones so you should be able to find something to fit your price range.

Old 10-17-2009, 10:36 AM

9,249 posts, read 26,702,366 times
Don't totally count out East of 35. It's got it's good points nowadays, just depends what neighborhood.

Old 10-17-2009, 10:58 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,420,086 times
Please don't listen to the folks who have the "right and wrong side of the tracks" mentality and think everything east of IH35 is questionable. There are some very nice areas east of IH35; you just have to do your homework.

Is living near work and bars your primary criteria, or are there other things you like to do that we could consider when making suggestions? What price range are we talking about?

You might want to consider the area around Ben White/South Lamar and Ben White/Manchaca.

Old 10-17-2009, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Please don't listen to the folks who have the "right and wrong side of the tracks" mentality and think everything east of IH35 is questionable. There are some very nice areas east of IH35; you just have to do your homework.

Is living near work and bars your primary criteria, or are there other things you like to do that we could consider when making suggestions? What price range are we talking about?

You might want to consider the area around Ben White/South Lamar and Ben White/Manchaca.
Living near work and bars would be a huge plus, because I would probably be hitting up the bars on the weekends. As for price range, as cheap as possible; I've done some investigating and I've seen 1 bedrooms (I prefer a 1 bedroom) range from $600 to over $1,000.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
Yes and stay WEST of the I-35 freeway, the East side has a lot of problems. Look in the neighborhoods around South Congress Avenue and South First Street. That will give you easy access to work and the SoCo neighborhood, an up and coming area. There are some nice new apartments in that area as well as many older ones so you should be able to find something to fit your price range.
Any recommended apartments in this area? And what are the "good" apartments east of I-35?

Old 10-17-2009, 11:51 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,420,086 times
You might check out Barton's Lodge on South Lamar. They appear to have apartments in the upper $600's - I checked them out with my daughter once and they seemed nice. She ended up leasing a place nearer to UT, which is another option, just not quite as close to work for you. If you do look near UT, since you'll be working and not a student, look just north of UT. Slightly quieter for folks who have to go to work in the morning.

Others I've heard of but haven't actually seen are Rivertree on Manchaca just off South Lamar, and Treaty Oak, also on Manchaca off South Lamar. There's several others in the area, but the names aren't coming immediately to mind.

Benefits to this location are that you are walking distance to a lot of things (groceries, shopping, restaurants), a straight shoot up Lamar to 6th Street, and a straight shoot east on Ben White to IH35 and the IRS (which is just north of Ben White/IH35).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin