Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2010, 10:09 AM

15,269 posts, read 35,637,527 times

Advertisements

Quote:
4.) Less than 1% total hybrid ownership (the few on the road are almost certainly driven by former Californians.)
The four people in my office that drive hybrids are all native Texans. Only one former Californian in the office, so not very representative, but he drives an Accord. Not sure where that certainty comes from.

Quote:
6.) No smog testing for vehicles in Travis County.
Umm..I think there is, they tested mine....oh, here is the info from the county web-site:
Quote:
Residents of Travis County must have their vehicles emissions system tested once a year using a new, improved testing system. This test is part of the annual safety inspection administered by the Texas Department of Public Safety (DPS). The reason for using the new emission test is to reduce air pollution caused by gasoline powered vehicles that don't function properly.
It might be worth noting that this was a voluntary commitmet by the local governments to enact this program to attempt to pre-emptively reduce smog. San Antonio opted not to enact a testing program. Are you saying since the Feds don't require it, that we aren't green? Seems the voluntary action would indicate the opposite.

Quote:
5.) Next to no bike lanes or any money set aside for bike trails/lane in the city limits.
My whole neighborhood and the surrounding areas are criss-crossed with bike lanes...and it is in the city limits. They just added a new stretch of bike lanes on a nearby street, so I guess they did it w/o money being set aside.
Quote:
1.) More huge gas guzzling SUV's and trucks (per capita) than any other city in the country. Hence low rates of environmental consciousness overall.
Might be true, I have no idea, but your track record on other comments is not great, so I wouldn't bet any money on it off-hand.

Anyway, not to say Austin is all that 'green' in the national picture. Not sure how being a capital makes you not green, either, and the whole 'the pollution is in your state, not ours, so our consumption of your production is your fault, not ours' is kind of lame. Doing SUVs on a per capita basis, but not pollution, even? On a per capita basis, I think Wyoming is actually one of the worst polluters, at least on green house gas, not sure on ozone precursors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2010, 10:56 AM

4,710 posts, read 7,102,284 times
It seems to me that Austin has made some very good strides toward green policy. But obviously, there is much more to do. Rather than arguing about how far we have come, perhaps the more important thing for each of us to do is to incorporate more green thinking into our own everyday actions. Being green isn't a grand gesture (usually), its a thousand small decisions: turning off the lights, not buying the produce from Chile, not buying the Brazilian Cherry flooring, doing research on which flooring is more green, buying low VOC paint, refusing styrofoam containers, thinking carefully as we buy - buying recycled goods and those that can be recycled, maybe having your own organic garden, etc., etc. There are so many ways we can all pull ourselves and Austin closer to a green future. I would rather see a thread that is forward looking, and can give us all ideas about ways to walk the talk.

Old 01-19-2010, 11:00 AM

8,030 posts, read 9,052,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eepstein View Post
Austin a green city?? Well let me see here.

1.) More huge gas guzzling SUV's and trucks (per capita) than any other city in the country. Hence low rates of environmental consciousness overall.
Where do you get that from?

Surely the west Texas towns are higher...

Old 01-19-2010, 12:12 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,176,487 times
Quote:

2.) Capital of the most ozone polluting state overall in the nation.

3.) Among the worst public transportation of any similar size city in the nation.

4.) Less than 1% total hybrid ownership (the few on the road are almost certainly driven by former Californians.)

5.) Next to no bike lanes or any money set aside for bike trails/lane in the city limits.

Yes, I would say Austin and Portland, OR are neck in neck with regards to Green living!!
I would really like you to post some data for a change. Unless you are privy to auto sales data I believe you cannot back up #1 and #4 at all. My eyeballs say that Prius are everywhere in Austin - far more (relatively speaking) than I see when I visit San Antonio, Houston, or Fort Worth. You cite #2 regularly when the facts show otherwise. And since this thread is about Austin - it's ozone ranking is not in the top 25 for the US. Forbes ranked Texas #34 in state pollution rankings - #1 is best, #50 is worst.

America's Greenest States - Forbes.com

You make the same assumption as many here do - that a SUV pollutes some meaningfully greater amount than many other vehicles. A V8 Tahoe pollutes much more than a Prius, but no more than a BMW 545 or Mercedes E class or many thousands of other cars with similar sized V8 engines. If you want to talk about vehicles that consume fuel or pollute - include ALL vehicles of similar powertrains. I'm not trying to defend big SUVs. I don't own one. But if you want someone to use less fuel and pollute less then pick on Corvette or Mustang owners too.

Old 01-19-2010, 12:19 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,128,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Cal Wahine View Post
Well said. I too agree that water is the most important resource to consider in Austin.

Inthecut, I'm really not picking on you here, but just what is the deal with your rehashing of subject after subject after subject with the same exaggerated tone of doom and gloom? Surely I'm not the only Austin forum regular here who notices your distinctive pattern of hyperbole.
thats funny, I never notice it before.

Old 01-19-2010, 12:43 PM

1,065 posts, read 1,756,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
Your post is in many ways ridiculous.

What is a belching SUV? A Chevy Tahoe emits no more greenhouse gases than a Mercedes.

Is Whole Foods for skinny people? Does their premium lasagna have less fat than another? We do almost all of our food shopping at HEB and I have a BMI under 25. Is that good enough? I eat bacon sometimes too.

So do you propose taxing us all more so that I can install my own solar panels or private windmill?

I think a "green revolution" is just as unlikely in Austin as it is anywhere else. A steady march on the other hand seems possible and perhaps even probable. It is hard to prove but I think Austin already has more small cars vs. large cars than other cities in Texas.

As a "wired" city Austin has many people that do not drive to work at all. I know many software people that live in Austin and work for California software companies.

You ignored an issue that could be more pressing than anything else - water. San Antonio is already suffering serious pain and Austin may only be a few years behind.
Well said. Moderator cut: personal.

Last edited by Trainwreck20; 01-19-2010 at 01:55 PM..

Old 01-19-2010, 08:26 PM

1,280 posts, read 4,292,168 times
Quote:

2.) Capital of the most ozone polluting state overall in the nation.

3.) Among the worst public transportation of any similar size city in the nation.

Yes, I would say Austin and Portland, OR are neck in neck with regards to Green living!!
Where are your sources for all these claims?

Old 01-19-2010, 08:40 PM

634 posts, read 1,448,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G Grasshopper View Post
It seems to me that Austin has made some very good strides toward green policy. But obviously, there is much more to do. Rather than arguing about how far we have come, perhaps the more important thing for each of us to do is to incorporate more green thinking into our own everyday actions. Being green isn't a grand gesture (usually), its a thousand small decisions: turning off the lights, not buying the produce from Chile, not buying the Brazilian Cherry flooring, doing research on which flooring is more green, buying low VOC paint, refusing styrofoam containers, thinking carefully as we buy - buying recycled goods and those that can be recycled, maybe having your own organic garden, etc., etc. There are so many ways we can all pull ourselves and Austin closer to a green future. I would rather see a thread that is forward looking, and can give us all ideas about ways to walk the talk.
The ginormous, megacomplex we live in has a huge plot to one side of the complex which doesn't get used for much. I've wanted to approach management about the possibility of creating a community garden. Tenants can contribute seeds and must contribute work to reap the rewards. Plus it would be a great way for people to get to know their neighbors. No one ever talks to one another. It's depressing. The only worry I would have is that we're awfully close to coyotes, rabbits, and deer who would also probably love our garden. Anyway, I've not been to interested in pursuing the possibility as it was as if I asked for the reinvention of the wheel when requesting a more vigorous recycling regime for our complex.

Old 01-20-2010, 12:03 AM

4,710 posts, read 7,102,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadic9460678748 View Post
The ginormous, megacomplex we live in has a huge plot to one side of the complex which doesn't get used for much. I've wanted to approach management about the possibility of creating a community garden. Tenants can contribute seeds and must contribute work to reap the rewards. Plus it would be a great way for people to get to know their neighbors. No one ever talks to one another. It's depressing. The only worry I would have is that we're awfully close to coyotes, rabbits, and deer who would also probably love our garden. Anyway, I've not been to interested in pursuing the possibility as it was as if I asked for the reinvention of the wheel when requesting a more vigorous recycling regime for our complex.
Great idea! The community I live in has a community garden that is fenced. That keeps out the deer, and you don't have to worry about coyotes in the garden. Rabbits (and gophers) are probably harder to keep out. In our community garden, people are assigned plots, and pay a fee an annual fee, which help pays for the fence, water, etc. But people supply the seeds, plants, fertilizer, etc. for their own plot. But I'm sure there are many ways to do it. Lots of things are possible when people work together. Have you tried a lasagna garden? I haven't, but it seems intriguing to me. I googled it and got some great ideas. May try it when I have a chance. But yes, it is hard to start something new. God forbid someone should have a creative idea!

Old 01-25-2010, 04:41 PM

634 posts, read 1,448,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G Grasshopper View Post
Great idea! The community I live in has a community garden that is fenced. That keeps out the deer, and you don't have to worry about coyotes in the garden. Rabbits (and gophers) are probably harder to keep out. In our community garden, people are assigned plots, and pay a fee an annual fee, which help pays for the fence, water, etc. But people supply the seeds, plants, fertilizer, etc. for their own plot. But I'm sure there are many ways to do it. Lots of things are possible when people work together. Have you tried a lasagna garden? I haven't, but it seems intriguing to me. I googled it and got some great ideas. May try it when I have a chance. But yes, it is hard to start something new. God forbid someone should have a creative idea!
I'm curious, was the garden already started before you moved to your complex?

Lasagna garden? Whoa! Sounds cool.

I'm thinking of writing a small proposal of sorts to present to the complex. The worst they can say is no. And that won't spell the end of the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin