Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2009, 07:41 PM

629 posts, read 1,654,068 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
I think if you live in the Arboretum area, you might as well live in Round Rock. That far out, the Domain would be the closest thing to "urban living" that I think you'd find.

You might want to check out the Crestview area (Anderson Lane/Burnet area). Not sure what apartments are available, but it's a hot spot right now, there's quite a bit going on there, and if the MetroRail ever gets going, there's a Crestview Station and you could simply take it downtown and not have to drive either way.
Define "urban living"? The OP didn't "want to live in the suburbs" and the Arboretum area isn't the suburbs by most standards (and you pretty much recommend the same area in your next paragraph.

As for Anderson/Burnet - have you been recently? The apartments around there are still really awful. The only thing that's "going on there" are a few new eating joints, a half-demolished "mall", and a proposed mini-Wal-Mart. (No, I'm not at all bitter about the slow development of the area. ) Living just west of Mopac on that same latitude would be immensely better, IMO, which you recommend in the quote below, which is right next to the "Arboretum area" that you say is no better than RR. I'm not getting you, THL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
OP, another area you might consider is the Far West/Mopac area. There are definitely apartments/condos for lease in that area, it's reasonably walkable, lots of young professionals and grad students as well as families living there. And it's a quick trip downtown (and even quicker to UT), and not too bad to Round Rock (right up Mopac and either take the toll road or the roads that were there before the toll road if you don't do tolls).
The Far West/Spicewood Springs/Mesa area has some real gems, but it also has some really awful places (that are riding on the backs of an unsuspecting, infinite supply of transient students). So just be aware and don't be fooled by the "model units".

Quote:
Originally Posted by mill1469 View Post
It looks like this might not be open yet? Just wondering if anyone has any other info...? I'm not 100% limited at $1,000- just thought I could get away with something cheaper living a little more north.
Dude, a budget of $1k for a decent one/two bedroom is MORE than enough. Some of these newer places (especially those not dt) are crazy to ask for such rents unless they walk your dog, clean your shoes, and floss your teeth for you. I think reality will hit them sooner rather than later, so don't fall for it.

I would definitely check out an apartment finder service, but just make sure you're well aware of any potential biases they might have (via the referral fee, of course).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2009, 10:37 AM

809 posts, read 1,862,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mill1469 View Post
I would LOVE to live downtown but I am not sure that I will really want to deal with the traffic to and from Round Rock during rush hour, although I envision myself spending most of my free time in the downtown area.

SH-35 maybe? Toll Roads? Mopac? lots of ways to avoid IH-35 head on.

Quote:
I have heard about the Arboretum area but it seems like it would be a hassel to go from there to downtown, especially if going out at night (but maybe it just looks that way on the map??)
if you got the money, go for it. traffic is relative to the area. after 8pm the highways and bi-ways are desolate. it's amazing. and that's over the whole city of Austin. people stay home in their own movie theater and do stuff at home...in Austin.

Quote:
It sounds like Hyde Park or Mueller is a good bet but are there any other areas that would be a compromise between a city lifestyle minus a crazy commute?

Thank you all for your help!
way too expensive. unless you got the bread to make that sandwich.

good luck.

Old 12-31-2009, 10:39 AM

809 posts, read 1,862,596 times
Round Rock is OK, but if you can move in a little closer it would be awesome. we could use the taxes in Austin..lol

Old 12-31-2009, 10:57 AM

3,202 posts, read 6,022,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneJackson View Post
Round Rock is OK, but if you can move in a little closer it would be awesome. we could use the taxes in Austin..lol

That is why they will not expand the roadways, like the "Y" and the 45 SW connection, or northbound 35. It's no accident.

Old 12-31-2009, 12:45 PM

6 posts, read 15,731 times
Hmm thank you all for your input- there are certainly a lot of opinions out there....

I guess one reason that I would probably rule out the arboretum area or anything too far north is that I'd like to be able to be able to take some type of transportation (cab, bus, etc.) on the weekends to downtown if I plan on meeting up with friends... I know that cabs aren't going to be necessarily "cheap" but I'd like to avoid prices that are extremely crazy. I'd rather have that expense maybe 1x a week than paying $1200-$1400 to live right downtown...

Old 01-04-2010, 11:53 PM

44 posts, read 89,694 times
I will keep my eye's open. You might like to get somethin off Mopac which run north/south. Right now is a great time to find something. I'm thinking somewhere by Zilker park or by Far west off Mopac which will put you 20min downtown or 20min Round Rock. let me know if you want some phone numbers. i see these apt each week. E Matlock

Old 01-05-2010, 01:25 PM

2,179 posts, read 4,990,287 times
Good thread. You guys gave a lot of tips in case I end up employed in Round Rock.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin