Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 01:47 PM

237 posts, read 379,773 times

Advertisements

I, through unfortunate circumstances had to leave austin, and i'm missing austin badly. I'm usually a happy camper and try to keep a positive attitude,but where i live now is pretty bleak. Anyone else out there move away from austin, and are experiencing home sickness? For those who moved away,what do you miss most about austin?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2010, 03:14 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,135,783 times
Been gone since October. Nothing that I really miss on a regular basis. I will say that Vietnamese Bahn Mi sandwiches were much easier to come by in Austin than Connecticut...

Old 01-26-2010, 03:52 PM

I really miss the hiking and biking trails(i lived by zilker park). Right now, i'm marooned in the boonies, full of eye sores, big box stores, and the worst cases of raging homophobic and racist comments i've ever heard. Connecticut is great, i'm going there for a wedding in July. If i moved back east i would probably miss austin less.

Old 01-26-2010, 08:13 PM

634 posts, read 1,448,174 times
Flaming, do you mind if I ask where you are now? You don't have to name the exact location, but just the region?

And I'm sorry, I guess I don't really ever miss Austin when I leave. I miss my mother and sisters, but truth be told I always have more fun away from here. To me Austin has always had its share of big box eyesores: Southpark Meadows (I actually saw Hole and Cypress Hill there when it actually was, well, more like a meadows. I was in high school and get a sick feeling every time I see what it is now), The Arboretum, Arborwalk, Brodie Oaks, the new one off of Mopac near Slaughter whose name I can't rember . . . Big Box developments are everywhere!

I'm sorry that you're so miserable though. Homophobes and racists be d*mned!

Old 01-26-2010, 08:21 PM

979 posts, read 2,955,306 times
Whenever I leave Austin, the thing I miss most about it is the easy availability of breakfast tacos.

Old 01-26-2010, 09:17 PM

Nomadic, right now i'm in bossier,shreveport la. I'm just suffering SEVERE culture shock. Don't get me wrong there are nice things about shreveport,but its been very difficult. I hate to bag on a place,and i'm sure theres nice people here,but the rampant homophobia,and racism is depressing. I've been displaced here since october,and i've been to around 6 parties where you would swear you were at a nazi rally.I'm not exaggerating.
I hear what you're saying about the big box stores in austin,and i agree that parts of austin are becoming generic sprawl. However,in shreveport the city has a lot of unrealized possibilities,but currently is run down. Parts of the downtown look abandoned and almost like a ghost town. I just woke up today and really missed austin. Where are you from nomadic?

Old 01-26-2010, 09:32 PM

634 posts, read 1,448,174 times
Oh I'm from Texas. I've pretty much lived in Austin since I was 5 (I'm 32 now). I was born in a small town in Texas. I've lived in California and Mexico and spent a little time in Portland, Oregon. I'm not really much for bar scenes or Nazi shindigs (yikes) so I can't say that Bossier sounds like my kind of town.

I've not been to Louisiana yet. I have a friend who wants to take me to Jazz Fest in NOLA for my birthday this summer. She's from New Orleans and has family there so I'm excited at the opportunity.

Again, I'm really sorry to hear you're having such a rough time. Austin--sprawl and all--will still be around for you when you want it. Keep your chin up. I saw you mention that you'd lived on the East Coast. Where on the East Coast?

Old 01-26-2010, 09:35 PM

4,103 posts, read 7,025,445 times
I've been gone for 7 years and I'm dying to get back. I think it's going to be a few more years, though.

Old 01-26-2010, 09:46 PM

Nomadic, i'm originally from new york and chicago. I spent time in arizona,wyoming, and Ireland. I always thought about moving to mexico.
Jazz fest is wonderful! I love new orleans. Are you new to austin?

Old 01-26-2010, 09:48 PM

Carlitasway, what do you miss about austin?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin