Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2007, 11:05 AM

347 posts, read 1,566,760 times

Advertisements

What is the best local publication and/or website to sell miscellaneous stuff? Furniture, pets, etc. (not Craig's List)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2007, 11:22 AM

701 posts, read 2,481,812 times
maybe Ebay? You have the option to select local listings only and if you post you can note that you want pick up only, no shipping of items. But then, you have to pay to list unlike CL which is free.

Old 07-21-2007, 08:28 AM

7,742 posts, read 15,120,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhwest View Post
What is the best local publication and/or website to sell miscellaneous stuff? Furniture, pets, etc. (not Craig's List)
Why not craigslist, it really is the best?

Other than that austin360 which is the statesman.

There is the green sheet too

Old 07-21-2007, 02:03 PM

2,238 posts, read 9,014,187 times
I sell stuff on Craigslist all the time. I literally have it sold within an hour if it's priced to sell.

Old 07-21-2007, 06:55 PM

389 posts, read 1,571,146 times
My vote goes to craigslist also, stuff can sell in minuits..

Old 07-21-2007, 08:30 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,872,387 times
I agree craigslist is the best. I've never had trouble selling anything (or giving it away, if it's something I don't want to move).. I always get a nearly instantaneous response. If you post it at 11pm, be ready for a call at 11:05.

Old 07-23-2007, 08:33 AM

443 posts, read 1,541,078 times
Uh, selling pets?
I'm hoping you're not a puppy mill - because if you are, you *will* be found, and if you're doing anything even slightly below board you *will* be shut down.

Old 07-23-2007, 08:33 AM

106 posts, read 476,004 times
Default Talking about giving away stuff...

Talking about giving away stuff... I've just joined my local-to-me FreeCycle Network... the one for Austin is located at AustinFreecycle : Austin Freecycle Network (AFN) .

From their website:
  • Cooler than a garage sale, greener than the landfill, AFN connects people with unwanted items and people wanting those items. AFN enables personal contact between donors and recipients–in fact, most members both give and receive on a regular basis.

Using AFN to Freecycle your unwanted items:
    + clears clutter while avoiding the hassle, expense, and wastefulness of traditional disposal
    + saves money and resources by filling needs and wants from existing items
    + is 100% guilt-free!

Since this is FREEcycle, items must be FREE. Items must be tangible (no services and NO LIVE ANIMALS), but don’t have to be perfect. Unlike thrift stores, AFN allows members to decide whether an item is worth repairing.

You wouldn't believe how fast you can rid your life of clutter!

TX Griff

Old 07-25-2007, 05:43 PM

701 posts, read 2,481,812 times
I forgot about Freecycle. The Austin area has one of the bigger groups. The only caveat is you have to be good and make arrangements for pick ups (vs. CL where there are no rules about this).

I just got something in my email: Kijiji Austin Classifieds: Free Classified Ads for Austin. It sounds like Ebay is trying to get in on the Craig's list action, but Kijiji lets you list pets and pet things.

Old 07-25-2007, 06:18 PM

1,235 posts, read 3,768,460 times
I'm another Craigslist fan for selling things. But you have to price things reasonably. It's a site for getting things done in a hurry, not for optimizing profits.

Someone gave me a bed a few months ago, it didn't work for me. I advertised it for $75 on C's list and it was sold in a few minutes, the people came a few hours later, picked up the bed and handed me $75. Nice, for a bed that I didn't pay to get in the first place! You could actually make a living by cruising apartment complexes and picking up stuff that people abandon, then putting them on the List for cheap. Probably make at least a couple benjamins a day. And you'd be doing a service, keeping stuff out of landfills, helping people dispose of things they don't want, and helping others get good deals on things they do want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: