Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2010, 03:10 PM

2,392 posts, read 9,653,212 times

Advertisements

I saw a dog the other day in HEB and that was way not coourol and it was not a service dog, it was in their arms being carried around. Not a cool place for a non service animal to be. As I was walking a way a mgr was walking up to the person.

Old 02-16-2010, 03:22 PM

680 posts, read 1,384,129 times
Dogs? No problem.
Cats? Maybe.
Bears? Uh, no.
Clowns? Just kill me now!

Old 02-16-2010, 03:23 PM

1,065 posts, read 1,756,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin97 View Post
No, it is awesome. We need more stores that let people bring their dogs in.
Agreed.

Old 02-16-2010, 03:35 PM

11,027 posts, read 6,508,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tongpa-nyi View Post
Clowns? Just kill me now!
LOL ... no kidding! I will take a dog over a clown any day.

Old 02-16-2010, 03:36 PM

786 posts, read 2,762,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neddy View Post
I saw a dog the other day in HEB and that was way not coourol and it was not a service dog, it was in their arms being carried around. Not a cool place for a non service animal to be. As I was walking a way a mgr was walking up to the person.
Grocery stores are definitely a no go. I would be more comfortable with a dog in someone's arms that on a leash. I would not want to be buying food that was subjected to a number or smell tests by the four legged visitors, or worse, accidents.

In a restaurant, the dog can be on the floor beside the table and not be in anyone's way or risk contaminating the food. In a grocery store where the food is nose level, No way.

Old 02-16-2010, 04:11 PM

2,101 posts, read 4,527,898 times
I'm surprised by how many of you don't think it's tacky to see people take non-service dogs into non-pet stores. As smart as dogs are, they're still animals - not humans, and as such, I think that if they're out in public, they belong outside. 20 years ago, you never would have seen someone bring his/her dog into a non-pet store because doing so would have been considered rude. So why have things changed? Am I missing something here?

Old 02-16-2010, 05:17 PM

3,757 posts, read 9,061,091 times
For those of us that are allergic it can be a drag. I am willing to put up with a scratchy throat and watery eyes for service dogs - in fact because there are relatively few of them their dander is not laying around everywhere. But if it were more commonplace for people to bring in pets into stores other places of commerce, some of us would really be suffering.

Old 02-16-2010, 05:22 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,410,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by passionatearts View Post
I'm surprised by how many of you don't think it's tacky to see people take non-service dogs into non-pet stores. As smart as dogs are, they're still animals - not humans, and as such, I think that if they're out in public, they belong outside. 20 years ago, you never would have seen someone bring his/her dog into a non-pet store because doing so would have been considered rude. So why have things changed? Am I missing something here?
Not necessarily. Just people with opinions different than yours.

"Tacky", after all, is very much in the eye of the beholder.

Old 02-16-2010, 05:24 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,882,004 times
I kinda like it that people can bring their dogs everywhere. In my experience, those that bring their dogs usually have exceptionally well behaved ones (better than many kids!) The dogs seem to like it, and it seems makes a lot of people happy. So no, I don't think it's tacky.

I'm sure I'd have a completely different opinion if I were allergic, though.

Old 02-16-2010, 05:45 PM

587 posts, read 1,420,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennibc View Post
For those of us that are allergic it can be a drag. I am willing to put up with a scratchy throat and watery eyes for service dogs - in fact because there are relatively few of them their dander is not laying around everywhere. But if it were more commonplace for people to bring in pets into stores other places of commerce, some of us would really be suffering.
I can see where that would be a major bummer and know some people's allergies can be quite severe. Wow.

I do not dislike dogs, but I am somewhat uncomfortable around them if I don't know for a fact they're friendly. I was bit by a neighborhood dog as a kid when I was selling raffle tickets for my school and as such, have had a mild fear of them ever since. Plus, a lot of them smell REALLY bad and I'm just not a fan!

I've only owned one dog in my life and she was a gorgeous and loving rottweiler. I will say, though, that I never would have even considered bringing her anywhere other than a pet store in public, so I completely see where the OP is coming from.

I don't think everyone should have to be subjected to other people's dogs (or cats, pigs, whatever) when out in public because some people are simply not dog people, let alone those like the Jennibc who are allergic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: