Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2010, 07:32 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,180,231 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHighDef View Post
What they were talking about is if you do put an aftermarket tint on your windows then you need to crack them if you park in the mid-day sun. The heat and a little humidity can make the tint bubble. My friend had a coke he left in his car and in the sun burst and it made his tint bubble all over. But our cars don't just go poof! LoL
All of our cars have had tinted windows for 20+ years. I don't understand this at all. A tint film can't develop bubbles unless there is air or water trapped under the film. Our vehicles have never developed bubbles in the tint and they spend plenty of time in the heat and direct sun.

Anyone buying tint for their vehicles should have it done by a proven shop. We use Sun Tint.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2010, 07:38 AM

428 posts, read 1,065,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
All of our cars have had tinted windows for 20+ years. I don't understand this at all. A tint film can't develop bubbles unless there is air or water trapped under the film. Our vehicles have never developed bubbles in the tint and they spend plenty of time in the heat and direct sun.

Anyone buying tint for their vehicles should have it done by a proven shop. We use Sun Tint.
Yes, if the tint bubbles long after it's installed, it's poor quality tint... probably bought from a cheap auto parts store.

Old 02-20-2010, 09:49 AM

9,249 posts, read 26,697,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deelightful View Post
Ok. I feel real silly for posting this question. LOL.

Still...Thank you for letting me know about what the heat can do to the interior of the car.
There are no stupid questions! At least you took the time to find out if it's true or not

Old 02-20-2010, 10:26 AM

29 posts, read 111,197 times
Hey, she knows we have cars, so at least we're past the point of people believing we're all on horseback!

Old 02-20-2010, 12:44 PM

439 posts, read 1,256,932 times
No on the whole engine thing, like someone said Engines run at temps far in excess of anything Mother Nature can do. BUT! windows blowing out, yes that can happen, it happened to my daughter -in law when we lived in Dallas. She was teenager and never used a visor on the windshield and keeped her windows rolled up. The back window busted out from it. My husband also had a mishap with his rearview mirrow coming down from the heat.

Old 02-20-2010, 12:57 PM

4,604 posts, read 8,232,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runemaster View Post
And it's a great place to thaw frozen food...
Yeah, you can leave that frozen tex/mex on the dash... by lunch time it's ready...

Old 02-20-2010, 05:09 PM

680 posts, read 1,384,129 times
One of the many things I love about winter in Austin is that my car doesn't broil everything within when I park in the sun. I can have a gallon jug of water in the car and it will be fresh-tasting and cool, I don't burn my hands on the steering wheel, I can leave a dog in the car without worrying that I'll come back to find barbecue, etc.

This thread reminds me of just how miserable summers are in Texas. There are lots of good things about summer, like going out to outdoor cafes late at night wearing almost nothing, enjoying a tropical breeze while listening to music or talking with friends. But for driving and parking, yikes... it's awful.

Old 02-20-2010, 06:55 PM

371 posts, read 887,045 times
Ok. I still feel silly. I'm glad that someone did post that their daughter back window blew out...not that I'm glad it happened. I'm just glad to know I didn't ask a totally stupid question.

As for cracking my windows when the temperature rise...I don't think so. I have this fear of a snake, tarantula or scorpion just waiting for me to do something like that. I think I would rather deal with the extreme heat. Thank you.

Old 02-20-2010, 07:05 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deelightful View Post
Ok. I still feel silly. I'm glad that someone did post that their daughter back window blew out...not that I'm glad it happened. I'm just glad to know I didn't ask a totally stupid question.

As for cracking my windows when the temperature rise...I don't think so. I have this fear of a snake, tarantula or scorpion just waiting for me to do something like that. I think I would rather deal with the extreme heat. Thank you.
Snakes won't go through windows..they will crawl up from underneath the car into the engine area.

Happened to me..talk about yikes !!!! Small corn snake though..3ft or so.

Old 02-20-2010, 08:38 PM

8,007 posts, read 10,430,859 times
Snakes, scorpions, and every other living thing would fry in a car left in the Texas Summer heat, so no worries.

Seriously, I've seen plenty of snakes, scorpions, and other creepy things here but never in my car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: