Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2010, 05:09 AM

587 posts, read 1,420,533 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deelightful View Post
As for cracking my windows when the temperature rise...I don't think so. I have this fear of a snake, tarantula or scorpion just waiting for me to do something like that. I think I would rather deal with the extreme heat. Thank you.
I really can't imagine that being something you would EVER have to worry about. In 11 years in Phoenix, I never once heard about something like that happening to anyone. Ever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2010, 08:57 AM

819 posts, read 1,744,024 times
Just keep your car waxed to protect your paint thats about it.

Old 02-21-2010, 09:11 AM

4,710 posts, read 7,103,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airboat5 View Post
Just keep your car waxed to protect your paint thats about it.
Really? I have never heard that before. With the clear coats on cars now, how necessary is wax, and how does it protect the paint from extreme heat? I'm not challenging you - I really don't know how this works.

Old 02-21-2010, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Grasshopper View Post
Really? I have never heard that before. With the clear coats on cars now, how necessary is wax, and how does it protect the paint from extreme heat? I'm not challenging you - I really don't know how this works.
The clear coat is what bakes off first.Think of the wax as some type sun block. I just got my truck repainted and they told me this would help alot.have a nice day.

Old 02-21-2010, 09:40 AM

428 posts, read 1,065,274 times
Automotive paint never 100% dries, even though it feels dry to the touch. The wax is needed as a sealant/protectant to prevent critical trace compounds in the paint from evaporating. When left unwaxed, these trace compounds escape into the atmosphere, leaving the cars paint job and making it look dull. Just look at some of the 90s model cars that have been sitting in junk yards or in front of the house with "the guy who doesn't take care of his stuff" to see evidence of what happens to unwaxed vehicles.

Old 02-21-2010, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runemaster View Post
Automotive paint never 100% dries, even though it feels dry to the touch. The wax is needed as a sealant/protectant to prevent critical trace compounds in the paint from evaporating. When left unwaxed, these trace compounds escape into the atmosphere, leaving the cars paint job and making it look dull. Just look at some of the 90s model cars that have been sitting in junk yards or in front of the house with "the guy who doesn't take care of his stuff" to see evidence of what happens to unwaxed vehicles.
Thanks for your input now I really know why.

Old 02-21-2010, 11:49 AM

428 posts, read 1,065,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airboat5 View Post
Thanks for your input now I really know why.
You're very welcome.

Old 02-21-2010, 12:09 PM

4,098 posts, read 7,108,082 times
Default Do you worry about your car...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deelightful View Post
Hello everyone,

I know that your summer's can be extremely hot. I've heard that windows can blow out due to the heat. I've heard that car motors can also explode. What do you do about your cars when you are at work? I know that some of you also live in apartments, and you don't have garages to protect your cars. I've heard that it's not a good idea to leave your windows cracked, because you never know what might be waiting for you when you open the door. Do you have suggestions?

Thank you.

Yes, I do have a suggestion. You worry too much, time to stop. Crack your windows a bit, your engine is not going to blow up, you just plan read too much...

Old 02-21-2010, 06:26 PM

1,317 posts, read 4,058,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by intmd8r View Post
Oh, and other things, such as candles, chap stick, etc. WILL melt in your car, so don't leave them in there.
And also don't leave your lighters in the car since the heat evaporates the fluid in them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: