Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2010, 10:54 PM

193 posts, read 1,143,689 times

Advertisements

Hi,

So I finally booked my trip to Austin.. will be heading there in June for just a w/e.. flying in on Fri night and flying out on Sun evening. Will be staying in the downtown area.. since I won't be in town for long, can you tell me what I should definitely check out in the day and a half that I'm in Austin? UOT area, sixth street? Also, I won't be renting a car this time around.. just want to get a general idea of the city.. have heard that Austin is a great place to visit and the ppl are super friendly..can't wait!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2010, 11:46 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,884,175 times
In the downtown area, you could check out 6th street (east 6th = more party, west 6th = more posh). You can check out the Whole Foods HQ store at 6th and Lamar. Depending on the week in June, there may be a festival or free bands at Auditorium shores (Ladybird Lake)... definitely should at least walk down to Ladybird lake and walk the hike & bike trail a little. Great for people watching. Or you could rent a bike at Lance Armstrong's bike store downtown (Mellow Johnny's) and bike down around the trail, maybe check out Zilker Park and Barton Springs pool. You could rent a kayak or canoe and paddle along the lake (Zilker Park Boat Rentals) from there.

I'd also take the short drive to check out South Congress, good place to get some Mexican food, shop, and maybe listen to a band (laid back) or get a coffee or drink and people watch...

At some point you should utilize the rental car to check out west Austin, where the hill country scenery is. Drive to the Oasis (on lake Travis) for dinner or just drinks (the drive there will take you through some nice scenery).

For BBQ, you've got Iron Works downtown right by the convention center. Or, if you want another hill country drive, you could drive down to the iconic Salt Lick in Driftwood. However, be advised that it may be cash-only and BYOB.

Other good spots: Mt Bonnell, Mozart's Coffee on Lake Austin (or Hula Hut if you want to eat on the lake).

There are also the more touristy things -- The Bullock TX state history musuem (and IMAX), the Capitol Building (free tours), the LBJ museum (Cronkite exhibit running now) and art museums at UT Austin, the Bats under the South Congress Bridge, etc. But Austin's touristy things are not as fun as just "checking out Austin", IMO.

Festivals/concerts in June:

ROT Biker Rally | ROT Biker Rally

Hartman Foundation "Concerts in the Park" | Events | Tickets & Events | Austin Symphony (http://www.austinsymphony.org/tickets/events/hartman-foundation-concerts-in-the-park/ - broken link)

Ballet under the Stars

107.1 KGSR Blues On The Green

Zilker Pops concerts

Check austin360.com and austinchronicle.com for more stuff. That should fill up 1.5 days!

Old 05-18-2010, 12:25 AM

193 posts, read 1,143,689 times
thanks so much...this was very helpful!

Old 05-18-2010, 07:20 AM

2,627 posts, read 6,575,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoresident View Post

Also, I won't be renting a car this time around.. just want to get a general idea of the city.. have heard that Austin is a great place to visit and the ppl are super friendly..can't wait!
I think it's a big mistake to not rent a car since you're only going to be in town such a short time. You really won't be able to cover much ground at all in my opinion. Depending on where your hotel is, you're either going to be walking all day long or waiting a long time for buses to get around. Downtown Austin is fairly spread out. In what general area of downtown is your hotel located?

Old 05-19-2010, 01:37 PM

544 posts, read 1,667,988 times
it's easy to find a good meal at a variety of places downtown (eddie v's, trueluck's etc) the elephant room for jazz is a good place to chill -- cedar street is a good party place too -- i like the atmosphere @ fado's too -- antone's is just around the corner -- so many places and sooo little time

Old 05-19-2010, 01:46 PM

47 posts, read 210,299 times
Don't forget to check out the bats!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin