Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2010, 08:45 AM

10,782 posts, read 8,729,295 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobber View Post
Vichel ... from what you've said over a number of posts, it sounds (to me) like Perth suburbs - at least near where you live - are more like Sydney's outer western suburbs than those in the north, south, east and inner west. I've lived in the northern and eastern suburbs and have never been irrated by loud cars on more than the rarest of occasions. Maybe I just got lucky!
Sounds like all of Perth is like your Sydney outer western suburbs then. The hoons are right in the CBD too! Everybody's a bogan here

The only places I've stayed in in Sydney are Balmain, Manly and Hornsby. Didn't hear them in Balmain. A bit in the other two, but not nearly as often as Perth. And I don't live in any outer suburb of Perth ... god forbid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobber View Post
Many Sydney roads in residential areas are now designated 50kph too.
Here in Perth too, but you'd never know it. Try going 50k on a residential road in Perth with somebody behind you! Sometimes I do that for fun . But it's probably living dangerously and making me a target for road rage so I only do it when conditions dictate it. I remember when the residential limit here was dropped from 60 to 50, around the year 2000. You should have heard the wailing and gnashing of teeth over that! Not that many people actually dropped their speeds in residential areas.

You can't easily live in Perth without a car. Maybe if you lived in Leederville, near the train station, and worked in the CBD. Or anywhere along the train line. Depending on buses here is hopeless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2010, 10:09 AM

1,139 posts, read 1,992,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vichel View Post
We're car obsessed. Car is King here. Not just in the design of cities, most of which are extremely pedestrian unfriendly. But just in the general culture.

Many love big-engined cars. Loud ones. Common noise here is loud cars. We also have a lot of 4WDs (or SUVs). I don't think any city has a car pool lane yet, but I could be wrong. Most are single-occupancy.

Speeds are fast too. Even in residential areas some don't like to drop their speeds or drive to the conditions. Cars crashing into people's houses happens far too often here.
Based on my observations during my visit, I totally agree with you on the first two points but I beg to differ on the last point you make! I HARDLY saw anyone on the freeways or on city streets go 10 km/h or more above the speed limit to my surprise!

Mind you this is from what I've seen in Victoria, NSW, and Queensland!

Old 09-13-2010, 06:45 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,068,476 times
Quote:
Sounds like all of Perth is like your Sydney outer western suburbs then. The hoons are right in the CBD too! Everybody's a bogan here

The only places I've stayed in in Sydney are Balmain, Manly and Hornsby. Didn't hear them in Balmain. A bit in the other two, but not nearly as often as Perth. And I don't live in any outer suburb of Perth ... god forbid!

Here in Perth too, but you'd never know it. Try going 50k on a residential road in Perth with somebody behind you! Sometimes I do that for fun . But it's probably living dangerously and making me a target for road rage so I only do it when conditions dictate it. I remember when the residential limit here was dropped from 60 to 50, around the year 2000. You should have heard the wailing and gnashing of teeth over that! Not that many people actually dropped their speeds in residential areas.

You can't easily live in Perth without a car. Maybe if you lived in Leederville, near the train station, and worked in the CBD. Or anywhere along the train line. Depending on buses here is hopeless.
Yeah even law abiding citizens occasionally go 60-70 km/h on suburban roads, especially in the dead of night when there is no one around.

Old 09-13-2010, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrconfusion87 View Post
Based on my observations during my visit, I totally agree with you on the first two points but I beg to differ on the last point you make! I HARDLY saw anyone on the freeways or on city streets go 10 km/h or more above the speed limit to my surprise!
Yeah, the freeway's okay for speed. Most stick to just under 10 clicks over. Never know when a speed camera might get you. It's the other roads I'm talking about, especially residential. I find it totally obnoxious when people have so little care for others and speed through neighbourhood streets. There's a reason we have so many cars crashing into people's houses. To get from the road, across the front yard and right into someone's lounge room requires quite a bit more than a few clicks over the speed limit.

I walk and run a lot throughout a few suburbs where I live. The number of idiots who race through is ridiculous. Any time of day, regardless of the fact there are driveways, roundabouts, kids on bikes, people walking and crossing. Mostly young males, but often they're not that young anymore either. With kids in the car. There's a real 'hoon' mentality here. Or 'revhead' or whatever you want to call it. Just not my cup of tea, that's all. I find it grossly immature.

Old 09-13-2010, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Yeah even law abiding citizens occasionally go 60-70 km/h on suburban roads, especially in the dead of night when there is no one around.
On my street - any time of day, unfortunately. Weekends are the worst. I suppose that's the price you pay for being between the beach and a main arterial road running north to south. Luckily the dead of night is quiet.

Old 09-14-2010, 11:20 PM

6,046 posts, read 5,956,585 times
Quote:

Indeed live in Leederville and don't thankfully have a lot of use for requiring the purchase of a car.
Another reason why i would prefer Melbourne..more options available sans car.

Old 09-14-2010, 11:41 PM

5,059 posts, read 7,502,821 times
I had no worries living in brisbane without a car for 6 years, about 5km south of the city.

The stats that i posted eariler showed that of the 5 major cities, perth was the city with the lowest public transport usage, by quite a long way.

So it seems we have confirmed Perth as the big city in Australia that relies on cars the most?

Last edited by danielsa1775; 09-14-2010 at 11:52 PM..

Old 09-15-2010, 05:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsa1775 View Post
... The stats that i posted eariler showed that of the 5 major cities, perth was the city with the lowest public transport usage, by quite a long way.

So it seems we have confirmed Perth as the big city in Australia that relies on cars the most?
Yes, looks like it. Out of the Big Five, Perth is the most car oriented. Sydney is way ahead of everyone. Probably all about city layout and where the PT covers. Sydney's ferries are real handy. We have the Swan and Canning Rivers meandering through the place but we don't have a similar, practical ferry system with such coverage.

Our best form of PT is the train system, especially the North - South line. It goes a long, long way! But you have to live along the coast to enjoy it. There's a couple other lines but friends say they hate it. Old trains, insufficient trains, and full of ferals who make it unsafe any time of day. Lots of development away from the coast in the past 7, 8 years, but no trains out there. They need at least 5 or 6 more lines or spurs at least.

You can park at most train stations but often parking runs out by 7:45. They've been good about adding more parking spots. It's the handiest. Taking a bus to the train station can add a lot of time to your trip, which discourages many. But overall, I'd say the reason why so many drive is that it's still affordable. Fares go up every year, which I think is the wrong thing to do. If a couple both work in the City, they can argue that it's financially not that much better to take PT and "put up with the inconvenience". But for us, we hate sitting in traffic, so we take the train.

Old 09-15-2010, 04:25 PM

1,094 posts, read 2,261,376 times
Quote:
Yes, looks like it. Out of the Big Five, Perth is the most car oriented. Sydney is way ahead of everyone. Probably all about city layout and where the PT covers. Sydney's ferries are real handy. We have the Swan and Canning Rivers meandering through the place but we don't have a similar, practical ferry system with such coverage.
Sydney's ferries are indeed terrific - I commute each day into the CBD by ferry and never get bored of the experience. I actually feel pretty relaxed when I arrive into work and also on the journey home. Always a seat, decent leg room and soothing riding across the harbour - huge thumbs up.

I am one of the lucky ones though that lives relatively close to a terminal (I live in the eastern suburbs) and also my work place is just a 2 min walk from Circular Quay, where many of them dock.

Not too many hoons out in the eastern suburbs of Sydney although the biggest crime IMO are the idiot buffoons that drive their SUVs very badly (termed "Chelsea Tractors" when I lived in the UK given Chelsea is an affluent area). The roadways can get extremely clogged around school start/finish times.

Old 09-15-2010, 04:26 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,938,262 times
Quote:
We're car obsessed. Car is King here. Not just in the design of cities, most of which are extremely pedestrian unfriendly. But just in the general culture.

Many love big-engined cars. Loud ones. Common noise here is loud cars. We also have a lot of 4WDs (or SUVs). I don't think any city has a car pool lane yet, but I could be wrong. Most are single-occupancy.
Sounds a lot like the U.S.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand