Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2011, 07:30 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,149,693 times

Advertisements

Australia immigration has dropped by half in the past two years.

Immigration numbers plunge by almost half

No one wants to come here .... or a lack of student visas has resulted in the plunge? The article cites the Indian media beat up from last year as a potential reason..

Does anything think this is a problem, or a slowdown a good thing/bad thing?!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2011, 07:54 PM

10,782 posts, read 8,739,963 times
Perhaps cost of living issues are also a factor. I'm sure our overpriced houses are well known now, especially to potential migrants who check things like that out online. Add to that, our high dollar making their money not go as far when they get here.

I believe the Skills List was shortened and the Student Visa route tightened up.

I don't think it's a necessarily bad thing. Most seem to head to Sydney and Melbourne where the infrastructure can't keep up.

Old 06-23-2011, 08:13 PM

5,065 posts, read 7,527,727 times
I has more to do with a change in policy from the government regarding the skilled migration intake than anything else.

Gone are the days when Chefs and Hairdressers were on the skills shortage list, and the Rudd governments "Big Australia Policy" was in place.

In terms of sheer numbers I remember reading that our 2008 intake of around 320,000 people was the second highest in the developed world after the USA (if the USA was to adopt the same % intake as Australia did that year, it would amount to almost 5 million legal immigrants going to the USA in one year). Quite simply immigration at that level is not sustainable. Its not as though australia is exactly alone doing this either, the UK recently announced it was capping its non EU immigration at only 20,700 people.

Students are tempory visa holders and are not included in Australias official migration intake, unless they get a job and transfer to a pernament visa. Combine the GFC, high aussie dollar, and stricter criteria (again a Juliar Policy) its not really surprising student numbers are down.

Im all for skilled migration, and are a bit dissapointed to see it dropping. Its a difficual balancing act however, we cant have a lot of unemployed migrants living in the streets.

Last edited by danielsa1775; 06-23-2011 at 08:27 PM..

Old 06-23-2011, 10:46 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,149,693 times
yep. I agree.

High dollar, cost of housing will be definitely contributing.

I don't have a problem with maintaining skilled migration or as put "high value occupations"

This may give us a chance to develop infrastructure in line with population growth. It definitely seems to have stalled recently

Old 06-24-2011, 12:12 AM

5,065 posts, read 7,527,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsa1775 View Post
I has more to do with a change in policy from the government regarding the skilled migration intake than anything else.

Gone are the days when Chefs and Hairdressers were on the skills shortage list, and the Rudd governments "Big Australia Policy" was in place.

In terms of sheer numbers I remember reading that our 2008 intake of around 320,000 people was the second highest in the developed world after the USA (if the USA was to adopt the same % intake as Australia did that year, it would amount to almost 5 million legal immigrants going to the USA in one year). Quite simply immigration at that level is not sustainable. Its not as though australia is exactly alone doing this either, the UK recently announced it was capping its non EU immigration at only 20,700 people.

Students are tempory visa holders and are not included in Australias official migration intake, unless they get a job and transfer to a pernament visa. Combine the GFC, high aussie dollar, and stricter criteria (again a Juliar Policy) its not really surprising student numbers are down.

Im all for skilled migration, and are a bit dissapointed to see it dropping. Its a difficual balancing act however, we cant have a lot of unemployed migrants living in the streets.
Should correct myslelf, the 320k was the Nett Migration figure, and nett movements in temp visa holders which intend to stay more than one year are included in official migration numbers.

Old 06-24-2011, 01:39 AM

141 posts, read 342,813 times
Well there is always good ol' NZers to help keep those immigration numbers up! I heard on the news the other day that the 'brain-drain' - educated NZers leaving NZ - is on the rise and has exceeded the peak of the late 1970's. Of course, many could be Cantabrians leaving the quake stricken city however there is that perception here at the moment that the grass is definitely greener on the other side of the Tasman.

Old 06-24-2011, 06:04 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,994,523 times
I think it's good that Australia is slowing down it's immigration intake before a financial catastrophe happens and all of a sudden you have hundreds of thousands or more unemployed that otherwise wouldn't have been an issue. Plus, there's also that pesky water issue to consider. Australia is a huge landmass but when you cut out all the land that doesn't get adequate, reliable yearly rainfall, you're left with an outline of the country with bits of the west outline missing

Old 06-25-2011, 01:03 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,769,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muir33 View Post
Well there is always good ol' NZers to help keep those immigration numbers up! I heard on the news the other day that the 'brain-drain' - educated NZers leaving NZ - is on the rise and has exceeded the peak of the late 1970's. Of course, many could be Cantabrians leaving the quake stricken city however there is that perception here at the moment that the grass is definitely greener on the other side of the Tasman.
There is a danger that the brain drain will leave only people like my self here. I don't even know who the Polish president is, and I can't spell hospitel correctly either.We need these people to stay here.

Old 06-25-2011, 01:46 AM

4,432 posts, read 6,998,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
There is a danger that the brain drain will leave only people like my self here. I don't even know who the Polish president is, and I can't spell hospitel correctly either.We need these people to stay here.
Well at least an 1/3 of New Zealanders that move to Australia move back to New Zealand within 4 years. However more people are leaving New Zealand than migrating there.
Exodus a kangaroo kick to the economy - business | Stuff.co.nz

Old 06-29-2011, 11:19 AM

108 posts, read 159,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis agrotera View Post
Australia immigration has dropped by half in the past two years.

Immigration numbers plunge by almost half

No one wants to come here .... or a lack of student visas has resulted in the plunge? The article cites the Indian media beat up from last year as a potential reason..

Does anything think this is a problem, or a slowdown a good thing/bad thing?!

I would love to "come on down", but do you have any idea how hard it is to do so?
Just to come there on a vacation would require visits to special doctors, that are 80 miles from our home, for the enitre family to get check ups and shots. Then there are the visa's to contend with. It is more hassle that getting into almost any country in the world.
I have always wanted to visit / live in Australia, but probably will never make it because of all the red tape and hoops to jump through just to come for a visit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand