Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2020, 08:25 AM

45 posts, read 58,456 times

Advertisements

I know with COVID everything in terms of migration is on hold but I wanted to know for the skilled migrant visa (189 or 190), do I need a job offer before applying for the visa?

I did the points calculator and scored a 75; not sure if that is sufficient enough for me to get a invitation, even though the minimum is 65 points.

Also, is it hard to get a job in IT once or if I get my work visa and I am in Australia? I read online that a lot of people are either under employed or cannot find a job within their own field.

https://theconversation.com/theres-o...igrants-125569
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2020, 04:22 PM

2,299 posts, read 1,521,375 times
That study was done in South Australia, which probably has the highest unemployment rate of all the capitals. Probably not the best place to conduct a survey.

But you will not likely find your answers on this forum and there are others which are better able to help you.

It is unlikely immigration will ramp up for quite a while anyway. Unemployment has increased significantly and likely will continue to do so.

Old 09-16-2020, 04:42 PM

6,046 posts, read 5,954,330 times
You don't need a job if coming as a migrant, but just be aware of alleged job shortages are not always the case. Be aware It is a very broad area with locals complaining about getting suitable jobs.

If you have something 'special' to offer it may be easier. Best be prepared with an economic back up though of several months. Also working well under qualifications. (pay rates can be on the lower side as well)

While migration has been cut right back due to virus, there are still some coming in. But two thirds of the migrants this year (lowest intake for a decade) have been on shore based. ( mostly that would be International students, perhaps a few Temps and Back packers as well)

But the Federal government will be returning to normal (that's recent normal turbo intake) as soon as is feasible, it is reasonable to expect. Immigration keeps up GDP and economy.

Old 10-17-2020, 02:14 PM

5,955 posts, read 2,878,990 times
https://www.foxnews.com/entertainmen...ump-reelection

American Rocker says if Trump wins the US election ne will move to Australia. He is 71 years old. is this even possible to become a citizen.
Would he be jumping the line because he is a famous White man who is rich .or is he just shooting his mouth off ?

Old 10-17-2020, 09:18 PM

2,299 posts, read 1,521,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben young View Post
https://www.foxnews.com/entertainmen...ump-reelection

American Rocker says if Trump wins the US election ne will move to Australia. He is 71 years old. is this even possible to become a citizen.
Would he be jumping the line because he is a famous White man who is rich .or is he just shooting his mouth off ?
I imagine he could apply for a Significantly Investor Visa, which involves investing at least $US3 million in approved investments.

But he is probably just talking.

Old 10-17-2020, 10:03 PM

5,955 posts, read 2,878,990 times
Thankyou for the quick reply.

Ben

Old 10-18-2020, 05:48 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,248,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarisaAnna View Post
I imagine he could apply for a Significantly Investor Visa, which involves investing at least $US3 million in approved investments.

He’s also have to be nominated by a state or territory government.

https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/visa...am#Eligibility

I’d say his most likely option is a Distinguished Talent visa. As he’s over 55 he’d need to prove he was an “extraordinary benefit to Australia”, which I’m sure he could.

Old 10-18-2020, 10:11 AM

266 posts, read 259,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarisaAnna View Post
Springsteen isn't going anywhere, other than to the bank. Over the years I have heard many on the left, not just celebrities, say they would leave the U. S. if Reagan, Bush 41, Bush 43 or Trump were elected. None have left. In many instances too busy counting the money earned in a venue they supposedly abhor.

Last edited by rbwpi; 10-18-2020 at 10:38 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand