Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2012, 08:40 PM

22 posts, read 60,076 times

Advertisements

Hey knowledgeable forum users! I'll be doing a university exchange to Melbourne to finish my business degree and I'm just starting to look at places to live. I'd like a place nearby the university or in the city, but are there any areas I should be avoiding? Right now I'm looking at the areas of Fitzroy, Carlton, North Melbourne and Parkville. My budget is under $1000 a month for rent ($250/week). I have been looking only on Gumtree right now, are there any other websites you are aware of that offer similar services?

Thanks!

-Ryan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2012, 08:48 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,148,735 times
which university? there are a few!

Old 01-18-2012, 09:17 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,050,102 times
and which campus. some unis (such as swinburne) have multiple campuses
ps does the uni not offer on campus housing?

uni melbourne has a housing web site withsome useful info
http://cms.unimelb.edu.au/studentservices/housing

found this as well
http://www.australian-universities.c...ent/melbourne/

your best bet seems to contact the uni you are attending for assistance

Old 01-19-2012, 01:49 PM

22 posts, read 60,076 times
sorry should be more clear. i'll be attending the university of melbourne. on campus housing is very expensive and in high demand, and the housing directory isn't extremely helpful.
basically i just want to get a feel for the different areas before i get there as i'm not sure which to focus on.

Old 01-19-2012, 03:18 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,148,735 times
Ok
Any of the suburbs you mentioned are fine.

Fitzroy: very bohemian, arty, laid back. great social scene, pubs/bars (ah I miss Polly's!)

Carlton: Good food, Lygon st ~ very average now.Surrounding streets have great food.

Parkville: never spent much time in, but close to all these.

Good tram network, quick & easy into the city. Many people share houses in these area's attend Melbourne Uni.

I would choose between Fitzroy & Carlton, with Fitzroy #1.

This site may help:
:: House Share Vic :: Welcome to House Share VIC

Otherwise the Uni should have social/student services.

Old 01-19-2012, 04:22 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,716,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryannorthcott View Post
sorry should be more clear. i'll be attending the university of melbourne. on campus housing is very expensive and in high demand, and the housing directory isn't extremely helpful.
basically i just want to get a feel for the different areas before i get there as i'm not sure which to focus on.
Australians don't have the big tradition of going away to the other side of the state or another state to go to university like Americans do in the USA. Most of the Australian population lives in 7-8 population centers/cities, so basically most everyone lives at home and goes to their local university.

So most universities in Australia don't have the big estates of student housing you might find at an American university.

Probably on your budget you'll be looking at sharing a house or apartment with other students or young people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand