Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2012, 09:44 AM

5,606 posts, read 3,518,739 times

Advertisements

A number of stories have appeared in the Irish media about the drunken antics of Irish youths who have moved in large numbers to Australia since the Celtic Tiger crashed.

This is the latest:

A 28-year-old Irishman has been charged with aggravated assault following an attack on an Australian MP during an anti-violence press conference.

Attack on John Elferink: Nine News Darwin, Sunday August 5th - YouTube

It follows a recent story about an Irishman who has banned fellow Irish people staying in his Oz hostel.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland...el-199096.html

Are the Irish getting an unfair rap in Oz ?

Old 08-06-2012, 04:04 PM

7,855 posts, read 10,302,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe Conkling View Post
A number of stories have appeared in the Irish media about the drunken antics of Irish youths who have moved in large numbers to Australia since the Celtic Tiger crashed.

This is the latest:

A 28-year-old Irishman has been charged with aggravated assault following an attack on an Australian MP during an anti-violence press conference.

Attack on John Elferink: Nine News Darwin, Sunday August 5th - YouTube

It follows a recent story about an Irishman who has banned fellow Irish people staying in his Oz hostel.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland...el-199096.html

Are the Irish getting an unfair rap in Oz ?

he should get a month in jail , followed by deportation

the truth of the matter is that irish people drink a lot but we rarely add violence to the mix , i dont know whether the problem is blown out of proportion in oz , i do know that their are elements in all anglo countries that do not need much amunition to label the paddys as problematic

Old 08-06-2012, 05:12 PM

5,606 posts, read 3,518,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
he should get a month in jail , followed by deportation

the truth of the matter is that irish people drink a lot but we rarely add violence to the mix , i dont know whether the problem is blown out of proportion in oz , i do know that their are elements in all anglo countries that do not need much amunition to label the paddys as problematic
Why is that do you think ?

Old 08-06-2012, 05:55 PM

1,492 posts, read 2,734,437 times
There was also this incident 3 years ago:

Irish backpacker bashed in Coogee dies | Gearoid Walsh | Man charged over Irish backpacker

The accused got off the Manslaughter charge on the grounds of self-defence, but he has to live with himself.
The Irish are renowned for drinking hard and partying hard, but generally not for being aggressive or obnoxious, so this was an unfortunate incident.
They are overall very well liked in Oz.

Old 08-06-2012, 11:53 PM

5,061 posts, read 7,511,826 times
I remember reading a news Article in Brisbane a few months ago, about a company advertising a postion available, the add specified that irish citizens need not apply. It caused a bit of a stir.

Old 08-07-2012, 12:02 AM

4,001 posts, read 6,279,148 times
We have some new Irish imports here and I tell you they make the average Australian male look like Prince Charming.

They are hideous, rude, sexist, boorish drunks.

They are quite good looking but its amazing to watch them in a pub...women avoid them like the plague.

I don't know if the Irish have always been like that but these young ones are disgusting. Their behaviour and attitude towards women is appalling and really doesn't go down well here, at all.

They can't even hold a conversation, they just grunt. So much for the gift of the gab.

Pigs on two legs.

Old 08-07-2012, 05:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe Conkling View Post
Why is that do you think ?
old habbits die hard , irish people ( like every other non conformist culture who refused to tip the hat to the ruling class - establishment ) were seen as problematic by w.a.s.p,s - colonolists for centurys

scots , kiwis , aussies ( to a lesser degree ) drop to their knees every so often and stare in awe at british royalty , they cant help themselves , we like you but pity you for your get in line devotion to hierarchy

Last edited by irish_bob; 08-07-2012 at 06:04 AM..

Old 08-07-2012, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek40 View Post
There was also this incident 3 years ago:

Irish backpacker bashed in Coogee dies | Gearoid Walsh | Man charged over Irish backpacker

The accused got off the Manslaughter charge on the grounds of self-defence, but he has to live with himself.
The Irish are renowned for drinking hard and partying hard, but generally not for being aggressive or obnoxious, so this was an unfortunate incident.
They are overall very well liked in Oz.

that story refers to an irish guy who was killed by an aussie , pretty remarkable descision by the judicary to suspend his sentance outright , i saw the video , the aussie guy completley blindsided the irish guy , self defense was a bit of a stretch to say the least

Old 08-07-2012, 09:26 AM

6,048 posts, read 5,974,514 times
There was headlines in the West Aussie/Irish press a week or two ago with the head of police in WA requesting the Irish community here to take greater responsibility towards their behaviour. Very unusual a national group is singled out as such these days.
The Irish take offence at the drinking controls here in Perth for one thing. One can be refused any service even after a couple of beers if your eyes are glazed..I've seen several incidents in pubs between Irish and bouncers and a few with locals. Most are just high spirited but fail to note that the craic doesn't go as far as back home.
Also they hold some very loud house parties which are a great annoyance. I think the Irish have lost a lot of the initial good will due to behaviour....few years back on a lesser scale it was chav British backpacker types getting some flack.......

Old 08-07-2012, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the troubadour View Post
There was headlines in the West Aussie/Irish press a week or two ago with the head of police in WA requesting the Irish community here to take greater responsibility towards their behaviour. Very unusual a national group is singled out as such these days.
The Irish take offence at the drinking controls here in Perth for one thing. One can be refused any service even after a couple of beers if your eyes are glazed..I've seen several incidents in pubs between Irish and bouncers and a few with locals. Most are just high spirited but fail to note that the craic doesn't go as far as back home.
Also they hold some very loud house parties which are a great annoyance. I think the Irish have lost a lot of the initial good will due to behaviour....few years back on a lesser scale it was chav British backpacker types getting some flack.......

due to the nature of employment widely available in australia right now , the bulk of young irish immigrants to places like western australia would not be what you might call , white collar university graduates , theese people left school early to work in construction in ireland and when that bubble burst , it was either an ever reducing dole or head to somewhere like oz , your not getting our best and brightest in mining country
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand