Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 01:05 PM

30 posts, read 150,393 times

Advertisements

Hello, I'm a U.S. citizen planning on applying for a visa to move to Australia this year with my wife who is an Australian citizen. I have sole physical custody of a child from a previous marriage who I want to have move with me.

has anyone else moved with custody? Or does anyone know how much authority I have to move as the parent with sole custody. I know I have to file the move with our county court, but just curious if anyone else has any experiences.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2009, 03:41 AM

103 posts, read 186,807 times
We moved from US to AU and I believe so long as you have written consent of the other parent to have the child move with you or court order showing you have sole custody, you'll be fine; however, the issue of you getting a visa remains as this can be a challenge for employment. So long as you meet criteria for this; bringing your child would likely be under the same criteria of being able to visit AU with a child.

Out of curiousity, where in CA are you coming from and where in AU are you planning on moving?

We lived in Santa Rosa and have great enjoyment in living on the Gold Coast

Old 01-09-2009, 01:18 PM

347 posts, read 1,358,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDaddyG View Post
We moved from US to AU and I believe so long as you have written consent of the other parent to have the child move with you or court order showing you have sole custody, you'll be fine;

So long as you meet criteria for this; bringing your child would likely be under the same criteria of being able to visit AU with a child.
BigDaddyG is right.
A friend of mine was divorced and had custody of her son.
She visited Australia with her son and married someone there.
Then she came back and applied for a spouse visa which took her 11 months.

Old 01-09-2009, 07:44 PM

10,782 posts, read 8,730,143 times
Had a quick look at the DIMIA site. There's a fact sheet on migrating with a child. Number 33. An excerpt:

Custody requirement

Whenever an applicant is under the age of 18, requirements relating to child custody must be met. This means that if there is any person other than the sponsor who can legally determine where the child should live, permission for the child to migrate must be obtained from that person. Alternatively a court order may be provided which allows the child to migrate.

Have a read:
Australian Immigration Fact Sheet 33. Family Stream Migration - Child

Might be worth talking to a registered migration agent on this.

Good luck.

Old 01-09-2009, 09:07 PM

Quote:
We moved from US to AU and I believe so long as you have written consent of the other parent to have the child move with you or court order showing you have sole custody, you'll be fine; however, the issue of you getting a visa remains as this can be a challenge for employment. So long as you meet criteria for this; bringing your child would likely be under the same criteria of being able to visit AU with a child.

Out of curiousity, where in CA are you coming from and where in AU are you planning on moving?

We lived in Santa Rosa and have great enjoyment in living on the Gold Coast
Thanks to everyone who replied. All the info has been very helpful. We live in the Redding area and want to live in Sydney area.

Old 01-11-2009, 04:12 AM

103 posts, read 186,807 times
Best of luck, Sydney is an amazing city -- going to visit there in a few weeks. Have lots of relatives there. Such a big city is overwhelming to us, happier on the gold coast, but it has amazing amount of activities.

Hope you have an easy go with immigrating; AU is a great place to live. After living so many places in the U.S., we know that no place is perfect, it is always a set of compromises that work well for you personally. Sydney or Melbourne, for a city dweller has to be a top option for anyone looking at things objectively.

Old 01-11-2009, 10:52 AM

9,326 posts, read 22,023,324 times
Have you been following the economic news on the online The Australian?

Old 01-17-2009, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
Have you been following the economic news on the online The Australian?
Hello, yes I have been following as much as possible on one of the Sydney online news papers. Seems to be slowing down now like Europe and everywhere else. It that your take?

Old 01-17-2009, 07:07 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,023,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pac101964 View Post
Hello, yes I have been following as much as possible on one of the Sydney online news papers. Seems to be slowing down now like Europe and everywhere else. It that your take
. Economic growth figures may indicate that it may be in recession or headed that way. I was just reading an article on Perth Now that talked about the large increase in the number of high end properties for sale..
http://www.news.com.au/perthnow/stor...013240,00.html

Last edited by minibrings; 01-17-2009 at 08:07 PM..

Old 01-17-2009, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Best of luck, Sydney is an amazing city -- going to visit there in a few weeks. Have lots of relatives there. Such a big city is overwhelming to us, happier on the gold coast, but it has amazing amount of activities.

Hope you have an easy go with immigrating; AU is a great place to live. After living so many places in the U.S., we know that no place is perfect, it is always a set of compromises that work well for you personally. Sydney or Melbourne, for a city dweller has to be a top option for anyone looking at things objectively.
Thanks, definitely a great deal of paperwork just like when we applied for my wifes visa to come live in the U.S.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand