Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2020, 12:52 AM

468 posts, read 619,286 times

Advertisements

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2020, 05:40 PM

4,270 posts, read 4,939,469 times
No Australia is not next. Although things are going to get worse from where they are. Italy was a template on what not to do.

Old 03-22-2020, 11:08 PM

30,750 posts, read 18,447,571 times
Italy has several underlying issues that is exacerbating its death count, to include a higher percentage of elderly residents, a higher smoking percentage of the population, and a higher percentage of multi-generational homes (or so I'm told on the last point) than many other countries. 87% of coronavirus related deaths in Italy are of people above 70 years of age, too, so this has been a clear failure to stop the spread to the most vulnerable population: https://www.wsj.com/articles/italys-...as-11584626731

I hear that Queensland has "closed" its borders to all but essential services. At least this is what the Daily Mail is reporting. I wouldn't think that such a move would even be feasible to enforce.

Old 03-22-2020, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Italy has several underlying issues that is exacerbating its death count, to include a higher percentage of elderly residents, a higher smoking percentage of the population, and a higher percentage of multi-generational homes (or so I'm told on the last point) than many other countries. 87% of coronavirus related deaths in Italy are of people above 70 years of age, too, so this has been a clear failure to stop the spread to the most vulnerable population: https://www.wsj.com/articles/italys-...as-11584626731

I hear that Queensland has "closed" its borders to all but essential services. At least this is what the Daily Mail is reporting. I wouldn't think that such a move would even be feasible to enforce.
Yes this is true, but the young are being foolhardy if they think they are immune. Once the health system is overwhelmed the young die too. If you need a ventilator and you don't get access to one you will die. Case in point: In Iran 15% of deaths have been people under 40.

Old 03-23-2020, 12:21 AM

30,750 posts, read 18,447,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCC_1 View Post
Yes this is true, but the young are being foolhardy if they think they are immune. Once the health system is overwhelmed the young die too. If you need a ventilator and you don't get access to one you will die. Case in point: In Iran 15% of deaths have been people under 40.
I agree that the young should take this very seriously. I'm also glad that auto manufacturers are stepping up to help make ventilators here in the US. I know that the US offered Iran help on this front (I'd imagine that sanctions are making it difficult for Iran to procure even many healthcare products, which is a major reason why I'm 100% against sanctions except for the most egregious cases . . . they don't do what many think they do), but Iran refused and is instead accusing the US of maliciously creating a genetically modified version of the virus to spread to the country

I also note that while Iran's overall smoker rate is more in line with that of the US, when we start getting into gender, the rate for men becomes 25%. I'm curious to know what the breakdown is by age and gender in Iran for smokers and if the case of youthful coronavirus-related deaths in Iran can be tied to respiratory illness caused by smokers.

Old 03-23-2020, 08:38 AM

7,033 posts, read 4,975,790 times
God I'm ****ing sick of "we're the next italy" shut the **** up

We've implemented a ton of measures way before they did anything

Old 03-23-2020, 10:54 AM

468 posts, read 619,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgtheone View Post

Um. Don't be so damn hostile. It's a serious concern for many people.

I guess the next question on everybody's lips is do we close schools across the nation?

Old 03-23-2020, 04:53 PM

6,066 posts, read 6,031,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCC_1 View Post
No Australia is not next. Although things are going to get worse from where they are. Italy was a template on what not to do.
Italy was an example of early days and less awareness into the virus. Too easy to criticise by armchair outside observers. They were hardly alone in not taking the matter with the seriousness required. Australia has the advantage of learning the lessons of others.
Results so far mixed. Just as the messaging. While gatherings are frowned upon, schools in general remain open. Very poor policing of disembarking passengers from liner Ruby Princess.

Australia has every chance of being badly impacted by this dreadful virus. Time will tell. Just in this country we have had some pre warning of what to expect.

Old 03-23-2020, 04:58 PM

6,066 posts, read 6,031,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgtheone View Post

Odd comment to say the least. While your sick of comments, others are getting really ill out there due to poor controls exercised by many nations, including Australia.

It doesn't matter if Australia is the next Italy or Spain, but better to be Singapore, which is apparently getting on top of the virus, but what matters is that numbers are increasing and hospitals will be stretched.
Australia looks more of a follower in my eyes, at least than a leader.

Old 03-23-2020, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the troubadour View Post
Italy was an example of early days and less awareness into the virus.
No. Italy had ample time to control this. They didn't. Italy's first death was one month ago. A time when China was already under severe lock down. You don't need to be an epidemiologist to work out that it was probably serious at that point, if the world's factory was shutting all its factories. China bought the world an extra month to prepare. Some countries (SK, Singapore, Taiwan, HK, Japan and to a lesser extent Australia and Germany) got proactive. Others, including most of Europe and the US, did not. That is a public health failing on a massive scale.

Last edited by BCC_1; 03-23-2020 at 08:03 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand