Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2013, 08:38 PM

3,802 posts, read 2,997,866 times

Advertisements

[quote=sohsocool;29089353]Nope, why should I? I have no ties to Britain whatsoever, I've never even been there.[/quote]

Very good point, neither have probably the majority of white Australians, Anglo or otherwise.
For those that have travelled abroad, most have only been to NZ or various Pacific Islands, and even Bali and Thailand would have surpassed Britain as travel destinations.
Very hard for most of us to have an affinity with such a place, even if the last Referendum for a Republic was shot down, thanks to being deliberately butchered by Little Johnny Howard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2013, 02:57 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,933,813 times
[quote=Derek41;29113447]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sohsocool View Post
Nope, why should I? I have no ties to Britain whatsoever, I've never even been there.[/quote]

Very good point, neither have probably the majority of white Australians, Anglo or otherwise.
For those that have travelled abroad, most have only been to NZ or various Pacific Islands, and even Bali and Thailand would have surpassed Britain as travel destinations.
Very hard for most of us to have an affinity with such a place, even if the last Referendum for a Republic was shot down, thanks to being deliberately butchered by Little Johnny Howard.
So pretty much all those flights to the UK mostly cater to Brits living in Australia and 1st generation Aussie POMs?

Old 04-14-2013, 07:35 PM

5,059 posts, read 7,502,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post

So pretty much all those flights to the UK mostly cater to Brits living in Australia and 1st generation Aussie POMs?
Don't Know about that, but as far as short term Departures from Australia are concerned, the UK is dropping in terms of importance. It was second most common destination for Australians in 2002 and is 5th In 2012.

These days the US (864,000) is a far more common destination for people departing Australia short term than the UK (489,000). Although Brits are still more likely to fly to Australia than Americans.

http://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/abs@....012&num=&view=

Last edited by danielsa1775; 04-14-2013 at 07:55 PM..

Old 04-14-2013, 07:41 PM

4,227 posts, read 4,891,073 times
Quote:

Like I said above those flights used to funnel everyone into London and was the reason Qantas was losing market share because so many Australians flying to Britain didn't want to a) fly to London and then have to fly backwards to the Continent b) transit through Heathrow.

The changing end point of Australian travelers is well reflected in Qantas' new routes through Dubai.

Old 04-14-2013, 08:00 PM

3,802 posts, read 2,997,866 times
It is so much closer and cheaper to go to somewhere like Fiji, Vanuatu, NZ or Bali than the UK.
Same for Hong Kong, Thailand, and even -Singapore.
Don't forget many people go on ocean boat Cruises to places like New Caledonia and other Pacific Islands, so it is not just flying we are talking about when going overseas and international travelling.
Even Hawaii, which we are going to later this year, is only a 9-10 hour flight, with good package deals.
So for most, the UK is not a place you are going to get to all that easily, unless you went there on a working holiday when you were young and single, or you are now a retired grey nomad.

As former PM Paul Keating so rightfully pointed out - Australia's future lies in the Asia-Pacific region, NOT with Great Britain.

Last edited by Derek41; 04-14-2013 at 08:11 PM..

Old 04-14-2013, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek41 View Post
It is so much closer and cheaper to go to somewhere like Fiji, Vanuatu, NZ or Bali than the UK.
Same for Hong Kong, Thailand, and even -Singapore.
Don't forget many people go on ocean boat Cruises to places like New Caledonia and other Pacific Islands, so it is not just flying we are talking about when going overseas and international travelling.
Even Hawaii, which we are going to later this year, is only a 9-10 hour flight, with good package deals.
So for most, the UK is not a place you are going to get to all that easily, unless you went there on a working holiday when you were young and single, or you are now a retired grey nomad.

As former PM Paul Keating so rightfully pointed out - Australia's future lies in the Asia-Pacific region, NOT with Great Britain.
Heck, the US mainland is still closer and probably cheaper than flying to the UK (LAX to be exact). I think it's only a 17 hour flight from SYD/Melbourne to L.A. and are there direct flights to Vancouver? It's the same situation for us as well. Europe is floundering in recession while the Pacific rim is growing, so that would make our west coast extremely important in the future in terms of trade with Asia and Oceania

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCC_1 View Post
Like I said above those flights used to funnel everyone into London and was the reason Qantas was losing market share because so many Australians flying to Britain didn't want to a) fly to London and then have to fly backwards to the Continent b) transit through Heathrow.

The changing end point of Australian travelers is well reflected in Qantas' new routes through Dubai.
That just sounds kinda silly, IMO. I've looked at flights from Australia back to the US and I'd never have to do something convoluted like that. It's either Australia to Guam (US territory), Australia to Honolulu, Australia to L.A. and points east. Easy. Land in Guam or Honolulu and the rest of the journey are all domestic flights

Old 04-14-2013, 11:45 PM

Quote:
That just sounds kinda silly, IMO. I've looked at flights from Australia back to the US and I'd never have to do something convoluted like that. It's either Australia to Guam (US territory), Australia to Honolulu, Australia to L.A. and points east. Easy. Land in Guam or Honolulu and the rest of the journey are all domestic flights
Which sounds silly? The old way they did things or the new way?

Australia to US via Guam? If you love long flights.

Does Continental still operate that flight via Cairns?

Old 04-14-2013, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Which sounds silly? The old way they did things or the new way?

Australia to US via Guam? If you love long flights.

Does Continental still operate that flight via Cairns?
The old way which was to go to London and then go to the continent instead of a halfway destination like was always done with the US.

It's United Airlines now. AFAIK, the only flights to Guam and then to L.A. are from Cairns, Brisbane, I believe, goes through HNL but Sydney and Melbourne go to L.A. directly. It still sucks though that Brits have more flight options back home than Americans, Sydney, Melbourne, and Cairns are the only cities that easily fly to the US without an expensive connection in Oz. But, when you have a million or 2 Brits living there, it's to be expected, right?

Flights are still not as long as to the UK only difference is the waiting times

Old 04-15-2013, 12:16 AM

Quote:
The old way which was to go to London and then go to the continent instead of a halfway destination like was always done with the US.
Funny thing was 15-20 years ago, Qantas was flying to Rome, Frankfurt, Paris, Athens. But the Asian carriers killed off that business. I usually fly Cathay Pacific and change in Hong Kong when I'm heading to Europe.

Quote:
It's United Airlines now. AFAIK, the only flights to Guam and then to L.A. are from Cairns, Brisbane, I believe, goes through HNL but Sydney and Melbourne go to L.A. directly. It still sucks though that Brits have more flight options back home than Americans, Sydney, Melbourne, and Cairns are the only cities that easily fly to the US without an expensive connection in Oz. But, when you have a million or 2 Brits living there, it's to be expected, right?
Guam seems like a major PITA. Are there flights from there to the mainland or do you have to make another stop in Honolulu? There's fewer flights to the US because there's no natural third country Asian transit point. To let the Asian carriers fly it would require Australia and the US ceding 6th freedoms, which will never happen.

Old 04-15-2013, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Funny thing was 15-20 years ago, Qantas was flying to Rome, Frankfurt, Paris, Athens. But the Asian carriers killed off that business. I usually fly Cathay Pacific and change in Hong Kong when I'm heading to Europe.

Guam seems like a major PITA. Are there flights from there to the mainland or do you have to make another stop in Honolulu?
Actually I just checked for random dates, seems like flights to Guam from Cairns and onwards to the US might be seasonal because most of the flights from Cairns connect in Brisbane or Sydney and then proceed onwards to LAX or through Honolulu. Interesting. Judging from these flight patterns, Iḿ gonna hazard a guess and think that Hawaii and California are the 2 most popular states for Aussies?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand