Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2013, 12:10 AM

45 posts, read 198,832 times

Advertisements

Limey! The world agrees: Oz the place to be
BY:NICOLAS PERPITCH From: The Australian August 19, 2013 12:00AM

ALONG the coastline of Perth's northern suburbs known as Little Britain, it's not hard to see why so many people want to live in Australia rather than the Old Dart.

Even on a stormy winter's day, the sudden expanse of the choppy Indian Ocean as you pass over the last hill before the shoreline is a welcome sight.

Moderator cut: From the Terms of Service: Copyrighted Material - Instead of copying-and-pasting articles, photos, or other material you find on the Internet, you should be posting links to those articles. Posting a snippet from the article and then the link is the appropriate way to post.

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 08-24-2013 at 08:16 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2013, 12:21 AM

5,061 posts, read 7,515,273 times
Moderator cut: From the Terms of Service: Copyrighted Material - Instead of copying-and-pasting articles, photos, or other material you find on the Internet, you should be posting links to those articles. Posting a snippet from the article and then the link is the appropriate way to post.

It's usually not a good idea to quote surveys like these on city data, all you will get is a whole heap of people saying how stupid and incorrect the whole thing is, just saying sorry.

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 08-24-2013 at 08:16 AM..

Old 08-19-2013, 01:23 AM

1,051 posts, read 1,743,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augostoschmitt View Post

A total of 83 per cent of Aussies said Australia was their first choice, far ahead of people in Japan, on 71 per cent; Canada, on 69 per cent; and the US, on 64 per cent. Around the world, 34 per cent of all participants named Australia as one of their top three picks, followed by Canada (27 per cent, the US (24 per cent) and Switzerland (21 per cent).
I wonder how many of those overseas respondents have ever actually been or lived here?

Old 08-19-2013, 04:37 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,834,234 times
We really are the lucky country. No other place has the combination of climate and liveability as here. I feel life in the US is too harsh and competitive, Canada is too cold, Europe crowded/dreary. Of course those places have advantages over Oz, but for life I'm glad I live here.

Old 08-19-2013, 04:50 AM

318 posts, read 626,973 times
I live in Australia (born and raised), and I can't wait to move.

Old 08-19-2013, 05:18 AM

326 posts, read 1,042,415 times
These articles tend to focus on the sun sea and surf aspect of living in Austalia and ignore the fact that most Brits who migrate there for economic reasons. Australia's GDP per capita is higher than Britain's, unemployment is lower, wages are higher and the quality of life is just better. Britain has had two recessions since 2007 and the economy outside London is still in a terrible depression. Australia on the other hand is booming, and has not had a recession for over 20 years now.

Although it is horribly far away and there are visa/immigration issues to deal with - the culture and society is incredibly similar to Britain's and most people have no problem transferring their jobs and getting their qualifications recogised Down Under.

Of course weather is a factor, but really it's only part of it. If weather was the only factor there'd be thousands of us migrating to places like Portugal, southern Turkey or west-coast Mexico - which are closer to Britain and all have similar climates to Perth.

Old 08-19-2013, 05:25 AM

326 posts, read 1,042,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
We really are the lucky country. No other place has the combination of climate and liveability as here. I feel life in the US is too harsh and competitive, Canada is too cold, Europe crowded/dreary. Of course those places have advantages over Oz, but for life I'm glad I live here.
Too right. The only thing I've heard people complain about in Australia is the "far away factor" and the "lack of culture". But I don't even get this to be honest!

Sydney and Melbourne were backwaters in the 1950s but surely are thriving international cities now. What can you seriously do in London that you cannot do there? OK there's not nearly as much (white) history as in Europe but so what? Unless you're literally a historian or archeologist does the fact that there are no old cathedrals and 13th century manor houses to poke round really affect your life? Perhaps it does - having never been to Australia I'd be interested to know.

And while it may be fun to easyjet it over to Paris/Rome/Madrid etc while working in London - if you're based in Sydney you have NZ, Vanuatu, New Caledonia, PNG, and Indonesia all within a relatively short flight. Not to mention all the incredible natural scenery on your own continent.

I'd be interested to know what is genuinely bad about living in Australia... ?

Old 08-19-2013, 07:51 AM

42,554 posts, read 87,098,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsa1775 View Post
It's usually not a good idea to quote surveys like these on city data, all you will get is a whole heap of people saying how stupid and incorrect the whole thing is, just saying sorry.
Actually, this survey appears to be among the more legitimate ones on C-D, and is probably somewhat accurate. However, I suspect a lot of the respondents outside Australia might be unaware how expensive the country has become to live in. It is hard to depend on the opinion of a place, from people who have never been there, and are just making wild speculations about what they have heard about it.

This survey is certainly better than all those stupid Top-ten puff pieces thrown together in Forbes and similar websites. Like this one: https://www.city-data.com/forum/world...l#post31010779

Old 08-19-2013, 07:52 AM

1,028 posts, read 1,884,502 times
Australia would be great if they drove on right side and located in northern hemisphere.

Old 08-19-2013, 07:53 AM

1,028 posts, read 1,884,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sohsocool View Post
I live in Australia (born and raised), and I can't wait to move.
Where?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand