Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2013, 04:55 PM

536 posts, read 1,538,167 times

Advertisements

I hunt them here off and on in America. Was told Australia has tons of 'em and they have a different method of hunting with dogs than we do. Anyone know where?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2013, 06:22 PM

359 posts, read 658,172 times
The SCG sometimes. It wasn't a feral though.

All over Queensland and most of NSW. Some of the Northern territory as well is where they are the biggest problem. Some are shot from the air and some are baited or chased down with dogs.

Old 10-01-2013, 07:42 PM

5,058 posts, read 7,496,471 times
North Queensland is certainly where they are a big problem, though as mentioned they do live pretty well all over Queensland, but are quite rare in some places. I grew up on a farm about 300 km west of Brisbane, and only ever saw one or two of them in the area in my life. Travel about 100 km further to the west however and they were far more common.

Last edited by danielsa1775; 10-01-2013 at 07:56 PM..

Old 10-01-2013, 08:50 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,788,592 times
They're everywhere, well in a lot of places in the Outback. While I'm not one for hunting animals for sport, they're feral and damage the environment. If you do hunt them you should eat them though, they're lean and good eating.

Old 10-02-2013, 02:08 PM

140 posts, read 278,216 times
There is (or was, when I lived there) an annual feral pig hunt in the Northern Territory, near Darwin. IIRC it was based around the town of Pine Creek, about 200km SE of Darwin. I don't know much about it otherwise, but Google might be able to tell you.

Old 10-06-2013, 01:21 AM

4 posts, read 15,454 times
The biggest razorbacks in the world live in thickets around the Margaret river area of southwest Australia,at least they used to years ago. I saw a sow in my headlights once on the side of the road eating a kangaroo just south of Perth West Australia, I cant describe how big it was because you wouldn't believe it,this thing was unbelievably big. I used to go with some bow-hunters in Queansland hunting pigs,Id act as the backup with a 30.30 calibre rifle in case the wounded pig attacked them. I never liked it really its too cruel.Same hunting them with dogs.One clean head-shot is the way to go unless its a sow with young. Only kill what you are going to eat.

Old 10-06-2013, 10:13 AM

Never feel sorry for the hogs. We've had problems with them tracking pregnant cows so they could ram them in the sides causing them to abort their calves live so the hogs would charge in and eat the calf alive. Just one hog can contaminate 4 acres with their poop/pee and eating..trashing the crops. They tear fences apart. If you have high dollar horses/cattle, they can break their hooves going into a hole that a hog has dug. We call them the poor man's grizzly here because they are one of the few wild animals that will actively plot to stalk and try to kill you. Grizzly bears, mountain lions, and feral hogs are the wild ones that you have to look out for. Main reason for using dogs is because the dogs can track down the really smart boar hogs. The traps just get the young and the stupid plus the mommas that charge in to try to save their young ones. It only takes one time in a trap for a hog to NEVER go in. They're one of the smartest wild animals out there and from scientific tests done, seems that hogs rank above dogs in the smart department so the dogs that are trained to hunt them are the ones people want to get rid of because they're smart and get into trouble all the time. I run catahoula dogs. I'll see if I can post a few pictures.

Old 10-06-2013, 10:18 AM

The pic of the pup is my Frankie. He's getting good at it. Has been on one woods hunt. Needs more work, lol.
Attached Thumbnails
Where are the feral hogs in Australia?-baydog3.jpg   Where are the feral hogs in Australia?-bay.jpg   Where are the feral hogs in Australia?-catahoulasbay.jpg   Where are the feral hogs in Australia?-dogbay2.jpg   Where are the feral hogs in Australia?-frankie2.jpg  

Old 10-06-2013, 12:11 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,658,893 times
Dogs are just about always used in NZ, as the terrain and vegetation dictate it. There are some easier areas around plantations and farms etc, where the country is more open, and pigs can be stalked and shot.

For the most part though, the bush is just too thick and the terrain too broken, to get pigs without dogs.

Old 10-06-2013, 02:10 PM

10,060 posts, read 12,802,696 times
How tasty are they? How do Australians barbecue?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand