Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2018, 03:37 PM

1,764 posts, read 1,028,117 times

Advertisements

Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern campaigned before September's election on a promise to clamp down on house price growth and reduce high rates of homelessness, in part by banning foreign buyers.

New Zealand bans foreigners from buying property in effort to clamp down on house price growth - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

Yet it excludes people from Australia and Singapore not living in New Zealand to buy homes there. Yet the ban for most foreigners, will it result in more affordable housing prices for New Zealanders?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2018, 04:01 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,713,074 times
I think all countries should ban foreign home ownership unless you are a resident in the country. I don't know why NZ made an exception for Singapore. Australia makes a bit more sense because there is free movement of people with certain conditions from what I understand. It won't totally solve the problem of over inflated housing but will sure help to ease housing prices in the long run along with other measures.

Old 08-16-2018, 04:48 PM

1,764 posts, read 1,028,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
I think all countries should ban foreign home ownership unless you are a resident in the country. I don't know why NZ made an exception for Singapore. Australia makes a bit more sense because there is free movement of people with certain conditions from what I understand. It won't totally solve the problem of over inflated housing but will sure help to ease housing prices in the long run along with other measures.
Singapore has a free trade agreement with New Zealand. That is why this is so.

Well it not surprising with NZ platform since the Prime minister stated this was her policy prior to the federal election. Hope the Australian Labor counterpart adapts a similar platform.

Old 08-16-2018, 04:51 PM

4,512 posts, read 5,058,283 times
Some countries just know how to do it right.

Old 08-16-2018, 10:40 PM

6,046 posts, read 5,960,951 times
Great news. New Zealand being probably being even more impacted, (if that is possible) due to lower wages and high house prices. I believe I read more 'affordable houses' to be built as well.
If house prices became more reflective of the reality of New Zealand, I mean decline in inflated values, I could well see New Zealand being more of an attractive country to live than Australia.
Two visits to Auckland last year though, suggested that city has very far to go to become affordable.
The new policy is definitely on the right track though and good on the 'new' government for taking action.

Old 08-16-2018, 10:52 PM

10,108 posts, read 14,985,985 times
Mexico is a country that prohibits foreigners from owning property, but that hasn't stopped the more than 1 million Americans that retire there. I haven't checked, but I'm willing to bet the areas where those people congregate the most probably have high rental rates compared to traditional Mexican areas.

I wonder how it will play out in New Zealand.

Old 08-16-2018, 11:41 PM

6,046 posts, read 5,960,951 times
Plenty of countries restrict foreign exploitation of the home market. China doesn't allow it at all. A big retirement country, Thailand only allows up to 49% of condominiums to be in foreign hands. One cannot own Thai land.
It's how it should be. Locals should/must have first bite of the cherry.

Australia/London are examples of locations where the laundering of ill gained money has run rampant on the property markets making it near impossible/very difficult at huge cost for locals to compete.
New Zealand had the same under the former conservative government. Again well done New Zealand in taking this baby step. More work to be done. Pay attention Australia.

Old 08-18-2018, 09:39 AM

7,643 posts, read 6,482,861 times
smart

Old 08-19-2018, 01:09 AM

4,227 posts, read 4,895,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the troubadour View Post
Plenty of countries restrict foreign exploitation of the home market. China doesn't allow it at all. A big retirement country, Thailand only allows up to 49% of condominiums to be in foreign hands. One cannot own Thai land.
It's how it should be. Locals should/must have first bite of the cherry.

Australia/London are examples of locations where the laundering of ill gained money has run rampant on the property markets making it near impossible/very difficult at huge cost for locals to compete.
New Zealand had the same under the former conservative government. Again well done New Zealand in taking this baby step. More work to be done. Pay attention Australia.
You do realise the new law brings NZ into line with foreign property restrictions in Australia?

Old 08-19-2018, 04:07 AM

9,049 posts, read 3,526,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCC_1 View Post
You do realise the new law brings NZ into line with foreign property restrictions in Australia?
Haha, you beat me to it. Looks like NZ was paying attention but not the posters here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand