Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2018, 04:59 PM

6 posts, read 5,315 times

Advertisements

How does the cost of living in Auckland compare to the US, in general? Can anyone recommend a monthly apartment place in the region that accepts credit card?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2018, 05:03 PM

61,729 posts, read 87,147,355 times
Auckland where? US - where?? Prices vary from region to region. NY prices are different than in Tulsa, OK.

https://money.cnn.com/calculator/pf/cost-of-living/
Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site

Last edited by Yac; 10-24-2018 at 12:37 AM..

Old 10-19-2018, 05:26 PM

6 posts, read 5,315 times
I indicated "in general" That means a rough idea; is it more or less than the US. For example, you could say "In the US the typical casual dinner out would be $15.00. In New Zealand prices are much higher, like $25.00, mostly because many things are imported. Same for the supermarkets, in general. Local farm products however are less expensive than the US, due to lower shipping costs". Something like that. Not "How does the eastern suburb of Auckland compare to the good part of Detroit, MI".

Old 10-19-2018, 09:57 PM

3,602 posts, read 2,309,131 times
I am not a Kiwi but it is well known that NZ is very expensive compared to the US and that Auckland is one of the most expensive real estate markets in the world. The median house price is $US 520,000 at the moment, from what I can see. Rents will be high as well and I am not sure whether real estate agents accept credit cards. Rents are calculated weekly here in Aus and I am not sure about NZ. So do not look at an advertised price and assume it is monthly, as you are used to.

New Zealand is a developed, first world country but is quite isolated. People tend to move there from other first world countries if they are seeking a natural environment which is close, beautiful and clean.

You need to google supermarket prices, rent prices etc but I am pretty sure you will find it expensive.

Old 10-20-2018, 01:21 AM

7 posts, read 7,984 times
It's a lot more expensive than the US, for pretty much everything. Petrol prices are roughly US$6.50/gallon (if I'm converting correctly, NZ$2.40/litre). Restaurants and grocery stores are about twice as expensive, although there is no tipping. Produce can be a lot more seasonal, prices are not as stable in off-seasons as in the US and many fruits and vegs aren't available. Electronics, clothing, books, more expensive. Some common appliances in the US like clothes dryers, blenders and microwaves are less common here due to the cost. Families usually only have one car. Travelling to Europe or even Asia compared to from the US? Good luck.

Housing/rents vary but Auckland is one of the most expensive cities in the world, probably think of it like San Francisco or Manhattan. And I'm not sure if you were serious, but there's absolutely no way you can pay your rent with a credit card. I wouldn't even ask that when applying to rent something, as your application will be declined.

Old 10-20-2018, 02:33 AM

61,729 posts, read 87,147,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oaklei1983 View Post
And I'm not sure if you were serious, but there's absolutely no way you can pay your rent with a credit card. I wouldn't even ask that when applying to rent something, as your application will be declined.
Paying for rent with a credit card it's quite possible, but applying for an apartment is not.
To apply you will need a bank account and paystubs, proof of residency, even references, social security number and possibly more.
They will check your credit history, employment, renting and criminal history.
And it doesn't matter how much money you have or, in most cases if you pay for a year in advance.
Best bet would be trying to find a house for rent, or get an extended stay hotel with weekly/ monthly rates.
https://www.apartmentguide.com/blog/...tems-you-need/

Old 10-25-2018, 01:12 AM

30,896 posts, read 36,965,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oaklei1983 View Post
It's a lot more expensive than the US, for pretty much everything. Petrol prices are roughly US$6.50/gallon (if I'm converting correctly, NZ$2.40/litre). Restaurants and grocery stores are about twice as expensive, although there is no tipping. Produce can be a lot more seasonal, prices are not as stable in off-seasons as in the US and many fruits and vegs aren't available. Electronics, clothing, books, more expensive. Some common appliances in the US like clothes dryers, blenders and microwaves are less common here due to the cost. Families usually only have one car. Travelling to Europe or even Asia compared to from the US? Good luck.

Housing/rents vary but Auckland is one of the most expensive cities in the world, probably think of it like San Francisco or Manhattan. And I'm not sure if you were serious, but there's absolutely no way you can pay your rent with a credit card. I wouldn't even ask that when applying to rent something, as your application will be declined.
I agree with all of that with one exception: Health care. Health care costs in the U.S. are a total rip off any way you slice it. There are select areas where housing costs are a rip off as well --coastal California, Seattle, Portland, OR, New York, Boston, Washington DC--although they may not be any worse than in NZ. Outside of these areas, housing costs are pretty reasonable compared to most other developed countries.

Old 10-31-2018, 09:29 AM

9,846 posts, read 22,679,821 times
If you are only living there temporarily there are serviced apartments that accept credit cards. These places are oriented towards corporate travelers or longer stay travelers that might need an apartment for a few weeks or a few months and just want to pay a fee and have everything else taken care of. I have used serviced apartments in New Zealand in the past.

Auckland is pricey and the houses are high cost and lower quality than what you will find in the USA. Anything you buy in New Zealand that is local, the cost is often comparable or even sometimes cheaper than the USA(depending on the exchange rate if converting from US$). However anything imported in New Zealand is going to have a premium. In addition because NZ is a small country they simply do not have the huge amounts of competition and vendors we have in the USA, so that drives prices as well.

Old 10-31-2018, 07:25 PM

5,869 posts, read 4,211,939 times
This compares Auckland with Columbus Ohio

Last edited by Yac; 11-07-2018 at 03:18 AM..

Old 10-31-2018, 08:40 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,965,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
This compares Auckland with Columbus Ohio

Thanks for the link. The 11% higher cost of living in Auckland doesn't look that bad, until you see that Auckland's local purchasing power, which includes each area's prevailing local salaries, is 24% lower. Ouch.

Last edited by Yac; 11-07-2018 at 03:18 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand