Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2022, 09:39 AM

10,743 posts, read 23,798,187 times

Advertisements

When international travel opens up in Oz and going abroad becomes more flexible, my first trip abroad will be an Oz and Thailand/SE Asia combo. I've been hunting around for the best match for a destination in Oz and I've become intrigued with the coastal parts of WA. Perth, though doesn't look particularly exciting, but it does look like a very attractive city with a relaxed leisurely vibe and good access to some unique beaches and unusual coastal areas that make a trip to Australia worthy of the long journey. I was looking at areas in the Southwest like Margaret River, Albany, Esperance, Cape LeGrande NP, as a possible roadtrip itinerary and spending a little time in Perth.

Flying to Perth is that much further out than the east coast cities of Australia. Is WA worth the journey for first trip to Australia? I figure many would say why not Sydney? It looks beautiful and has iconic landmarks, but I'm looking for something more away from the tourist crowds and plan a relaxed beach and road trip holiday. WA has some stunning coast and the water color looks amazing, but inland it does seem desolate with flat featureless desert and long distances in between and I wondered from a bigger picture if a trip to Perth and WA makes for a good vacation for a first time visitor to Oz. Secondary idea might be Brisbane and Queensland coast, but I feel like I'm connecting more to WA from what I've looked into. Appreciate anyone else's perspective.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2022, 02:08 PM

1,291 posts, read 176,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Champ le monstre du lac View Post
I was looking at areas in the Southwest like Margaret River, Albany, Esperance, Cape LeGrande NP, as a possible roadtrip itinerary and spending a little time in Perth.
That's a very good itinerary. Although there are lots of other nice areas further north, the state is so massive it's too much to include. Glad you're thinking of Cape Le Grande NP. Stunning and nicely uncrowded with amazing beaches. Sand that squeaks under your feet, for miles. Also worth going to Pemberton with its Karri forests and Walpole with the Valley of the Giants Tree Top Walk.

On the return to Perth you could head north to Kalgoorlie, a mining town but a good view of a different part and rougher culture of the state. The Super Pit is worth a look. A massive open gold mine. Time it so you're there when they're blasting - the schedule's on their website. The town of Kalgoorlie's pretty cool too. But it's not the most interesting drive up to Kalgoorlie and then back to Perth from there.

Quote:
WA has some stunning coast and the water color looks amazing, but inland it does seem desolate with flat featureless desert and long distances in between
Yes, you're very right about that. The inland outback is beautiful in its own way but in small doses. There's only so much of driving through hundreds and hundreds of miles bleak nothingness one can do. Especially while on vacation paying big money for car rental and gas. Australia's quite expensive.

Quote:
and I wondered from a bigger picture if a trip to Perth and WA makes for a good vacation for a first time visitor to Oz. Secondary idea might be Brisbane and Queensland coast, but I feel like I'm connecting more to WA from what I've looked into. Appreciate anyone else's perspective.
I've been to both. They're very different. We drove from Brisbane to the Daintree which is beautiful. There were a few times when it was a boring drive with sugar cane fields forever as the highway went away from the coast. Qld is more touristy and crowded in the popular sites, with more to see and do than WA. Avoid it during their summer when it's The Wet season and the sea is full of horrible jellyfish. And some beaches are mud flats during low tide but others are quite spectacular. It's a long drive up the Qld coast. It was over 1,000 miles and took just over 3 weeks and wouldn't recommend taking less time than that. We found the one-way rentals were far cheaper than Perth's. Not sure if that's the case anymore.

Old 01-15-2022, 03:46 PM

3,602 posts, read 2,304,420 times
Those of us in eastern Australia wonder if Western Australia will ever open up. They seem to like being cut off from the world and virus free.

Anyway, it no doubt will pass and if we were ever to go there again, I would be heading back to the Kimberley region. It is spectacular and unique. We wanted to drive from Broome to Darwin and could not find any hire car companies which would allow one way rentals out of the state (can understand that more since the virus!)

What we were able to do was hire a campervan and we used it mostly for transport but did camp occasionally. Be careful of the weather though. We were there in late April and thought the worst of the summer heat would be over. But it was still dreadfully hot.

The south-east part of the state is nice and I am afraid that I find Perth incredibly boring. Though others on here have really enjoyed it.

Old 01-15-2022, 05:11 PM

7,033 posts, read 4,950,825 times
I've never been to WA, although would like to go and visit it especially Broome and the SW region. I also have a friend in Perth so one day he can show me around.

Also, it's finally nice to have a travel related thread again.

Old 01-15-2022, 05:18 PM

5,058 posts, read 7,495,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgtheone View Post
I've never been to WA, although would like to go and visit it especially Broome and the SW region. I also have a friend in Perth so one day he can show me around.

Also, it's finally nice to have a travel related thread again.
Even if it is to the most closed off place in Australia

Though I am sure WA will have to face up with reality one day.

Old 01-15-2022, 05:21 PM

6,034 posts, read 5,942,776 times
WA is remote and distance is something to consider if driving. It is expensive and as we found somewhat hard to find accommodation as locals not able to travel are flocking to popular tourist spots. That may change when borders open and the WA favourite Bali, becomes the prime destination again.

Perth is easily viewed over a couple of days. Somewhat underwhelming as how I would describe it. Kings Park being an exception, Rottnest Island another , but the rest is over rated, if rated at all. Little of much interest at night. Not entirely safe in some down town areas either. A considerably drug problem all over as well. Not always visible though.

I'd say depending on time of year. The State will prove likely too big, to do it in one go. But if you enjoy long road trips, this is the state to come. It will depend on time and how much the OP has. But as a rough rule, The South in summer and North in winter. Both area have their own attractions.

Old 01-15-2022, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsa1775 View Post
Even if it is to the most closed off place in Australia

Though I am sure WA will have to face up with reality one day.
In actual fact WA has been doing very well. Big majority support present closed policy. Be interesting to see if that support will remain, if the borders do open as planned on Feb 5. It makes since to prolong closure until the high numbers have come down over East.

Old 01-15-2022, 05:36 PM

5,058 posts, read 7,495,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the troubadour View Post
In actual fact WA has been doing very well. Big majority support present closed policy. Be interesting to see if that support will remain, if the borders do open as planned on Feb 5. It makes since to prolong closure until the high numbers have come down over East.
Yep I am very aware of that, it was more a tongue in cheek type comment, and i am sure they will be open up soon.

QLD actually officially opened up fully and unrestricted to all Australians only yesterday.

Though I 100% agree its good to see some one asking about travel to Australia again.

Old 01-15-2022, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsa1775 View Post
Yep I am very aware of that, it was more a tongue in cheek type comment, and i am sure they will be open up soon.

QLD actually officially opened up fully and unrestricted to all Australians only yesterday.

Though I 100% agree its good to see some one asking about travel to Australia again.
Until international borders are open though, I'd be hesitant coming from another state to holiday in WA. Locals have booked up so much of the desirable located stuff, which comes at a premium due to demand. We are a big state, but when it comes down to it, only so many locations to stay.

Old 01-16-2022, 11:47 AM

2,304 posts, read 2,960,636 times
Though I always go to Sydney and Melbourne for their being large unmissable cities with lots of attractions, I have always been a big booster of Perth for various reasons. I have been there many times over the years and have seen it morph from a large country town to a more cosmopolitan place. The climate is much like California, dry and sunny but for the winter.
The city has become lively and interesting with a large number of good restaurants and better places to shop than formerly. If you are lucky to come in February for the fringe festival you will find the city busy and fun with so much to see and do. And even though busy then the city is not overwhelmed with tourists and seems very Australian. And Kings Park is a wonderful place for enjoying the country in the city.

The Indian Ocean is a beautiful azure blue there and the city has all kinds of beautiful beaches to delight in. I have also loved the way Fremantle has preserved many of its colonial vestiges unlike other Australian cities. The Margaret River area is a pleasant area to explore. And Rottnest Island has many white sand beaches with the clearest water i've ever swam in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand