Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2008, 08:50 PM

114 posts, read 357,545 times

Advertisements

I am in Memphis, Tennessee, no state income tax and property tax is low, although sales tax is high at 9.25%
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2008, 09:26 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,021,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatbench View Post
I am in Memphis, Tennessee, no state income tax and property tax is low, although sales tax is high at 9.25%
sounds like a good deal you have there... why leave?
gst in oz is 10% but its built into the price, its not a separate line item..

Old 11-05-2008, 09:27 PM

10,782 posts, read 8,729,295 times
That must not be calculated right. Our rates here in Perth are $1450 for this year. And our house is worth probably $800k. So I can't see it being $11k per year in Melbourne for what would probably be one of those "charming fixer-uppers in need of TLC (or a bulldozer)", at $250k.

And not sure how Melbourne does it but in Perth we also pay water rates, separate from council rates (property tax). There's a supply charge, plus your usage. Our supply charge is almost $700, and the usage varies, about $200/yr or less.

Our sales tax is called GST (Goods & Services Tax), and is always included in the price of everything. It's on everything except for a few exceptions, like most food, medicines, etc.

Old 11-05-2008, 09:36 PM

$1450 on a $800k house sounds like a steal. Normally it is around $1 per $100 market value here in the US.

I am not leaving but ask for friends about cost of living in Aus.

Old 11-05-2008, 09:52 PM

I believe our rates are calculated based on what you'd be able to rent it for. So they take the presumed rental income for the year, then multiply it by some percentage they use. I wouldn't be surprised Melbourne's would be similar, and I doubt highly it'd be $11k/yr. That's almost a thousand a month. No way, can't be.

Old 11-05-2008, 10:06 PM

is council tax the same as property tax, if yes, then it is really cheap. In the US if you own a house worth $800k, you will be paying 10k per year for sure in most parts of the county

Old 11-05-2008, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatbench View Post
is council tax the same as property tax, if yes, then it is really cheap. In the US if you own a house worth $800k, you will be paying 10k per year for sure in most parts of the county
Yes, council rates = property tax. I lived in Canada and they were called property taxes there too.

Our council rates include an Emergency Services Levy of $205, plus a pool inspection fee of $13.75 and refuse charge for garbage pick-up of $210. $1050 is for the general rates (or property taxes).

$800k is probably considered expensive in the US. But ours isn't a mansion or anything, just a fairly ordinary 4x2 (4 bed, 2 bath), plus study, built in the mid-80's. There are houses down the road for over a million. And they're not mansions either, just a bit bigger, slightly fancier, maybe a second-storey. Australia suffers from very poor housing affordability. Wasn't like that when we got here in 99. Bought our house for $265k. Then it all went insane.

I know there are expensive cities in the US, most of them in California but you do have more choice of affordable areas to live. All our capital cities are pricey, except maybe for Hobart, but that's not the most thriving place economically. And our regional areas aren't exactly cheap either, especially not if you want employment nearby. Not so bad in the east, but here in Western Australia, even houses in the back of beyond are ridiculously priced.

Old 11-06-2008, 01:15 AM

790 posts, read 1,733,444 times
Quote:
I am not leaving but ask for friends about cost of living in Aus.
in my experience, the cost of living is higher in Oz and we have lower incomes - we have high taxes on par with western european countries, our fuel is more expensive and so are our groceries, etc.

Old 11-06-2008, 02:24 AM

9,326 posts, read 22,021,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spindle View Post
in my experience, the cost of living is higher in Oz and we have lower incomes - we have high taxes on par with western european countries, our fuel is more expensive and so are our groceries, etc.
I was crying when the AUD was almost par with the USD (.95). I had friends who left to go back to the states as he was paid in USD and it was too expensive in Oz for them... if only he had waited a few months, he would have been happy at .68!

Old 11-06-2008, 07:56 AM

I guess the local governments need to get allocation of income tax and sales tax from federal government to maintain normal operation since the council tax is so low. In the US property tax is the most important venue of revenue for local governments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand