Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2009, 03:39 PM

501 posts, read 1,432,856 times

Advertisements

I find this kind of hard to believe because AUS has lots of Asian people all around. (More than I expected...) So, I wouldn't actually be surprised to see lots of them (residents and tourists-alike) hanging around in GC. It definitely is just bad luck that catevary ran into. There's always going to be polite and rude people wherever you go on this planet.

GC is the one place I would have loved to check out, when I was in Australia, even if I knew it was a giant tourist trap. I wanted to go there, not for the beach, but to see the amusement parks. (And then, check out Australia Zoo.) Count one Asian tourist there who would want to be there, but couldn't be there. >_<
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2009, 12:15 AM

10 posts, read 47,769 times
I had some Japanese friends visit GC and they had eggs thrown at them. Strange how a city that relies on tourism as it's major industry treats their tourists like this? I am white Aussie and my experiences there are of rude and arrogant (with a mix of bogan thrown in) locals on the GC.

Friends from OS have told me they think Melbourne, Adelaide and Darwin the most friendly, easygoing and welcoming.

Old 12-10-2009, 12:36 AM

1,574 posts, read 5,131,053 times
[quote=Fijime;11965205]I had some Japanese friends visit GC and they had eggs thrown at them. quote]

Oh god, I'm an Asian-American and after reading these posts, it kinda concerns me about many Australians' racial/ racist edge to them... Something like that is very very unlikely to happen on the US Coasts or Canada, where I currently am. Glad I am here.

Old 12-10-2009, 12:39 AM

1,492 posts, read 2,740,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by koyaanisqatsi1 View Post
The GC is a horrible area, would never live there, not even for a trillion dollars.
It's good someone else has re-booted this thread to the top, because I saw this comment while reading this through, amongst others.
Of course, I vehemently disagree with the above-mentioned statement.
The Gold Coast is Australia's 6th largest city, nearly twice the size of Canberra, and much bigger than pi#$% little cities like Hobart or Darwin.
It is also one of the fastest growing cities.
I for one have had many holidays and week-ends there, and whilst this is not the same as living somewhere permanently, would not hesitate for one minute in relocating there if required.
It has everything one would need, and more.
It is no doubt one of the most exciting and vibrant cities in Oz.
One could imagine that boorish parochialism and tribalism would exist here. This is only human nature.
It is not very smart if it is directed against Asian tourists, who are the life-blood of the region, and spend so much money there.
How to make them grow up? I don't have the answer.
Hopefully the locals will eventually be outnumbered as the population and tourism continues to grow, and they will be the minority.

Old 12-10-2009, 11:58 PM

84 posts, read 257,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
Is New Zealand a lot more welcoming towards asians?
Generally people seem to say so, though I wouldn't say a LOT more welcoming. Australia seems to have a bit more of a fixation on race though. ie separating southern Europeans ('wogs') from northern European "whites" ('anglos'/'skips'). I've always found Australians to be incredibly friendly myself, and the aforementioned practice a peculiarity, but that's probably because I'm white and so it doesn't affect me so much.

Old 12-11-2009, 12:19 AM

2,421 posts, read 6,965,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard7666 View Post
Generally people seem to say so, though I wouldn't say a LOT more welcoming. Australia seems to have a bit more of a fixation on race though. ie separating southern Europeans ('wogs') from northern European "whites" ('anglos'/'skips'). I've always found Australians to be incredibly friendly myself, and the aforementioned practice a peculiarity, but that's probably because I'm white and so it doesn't affect me so much.
Thats more of an odd naming convention thats developed. There's rarely any racism implied behind those terms.

Old 12-11-2009, 06:04 AM

9,326 posts, read 22,061,640 times
[quote=f1000;11965298]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fijime View Post
I had some Japanese friends visit GC and they had eggs thrown at them. quote]

Oh god, I'm an Asian-American and after reading these posts, it kinda concerns me about many Australians' racial/ racist edge to them... Something like that is very very unlikely to happen on the US Coasts or Canada, where I currently am. Glad I am here.
Ahem I have had a beer bottle thrown at me in California and got called a [anti asian term], it can happen anywhere... incidents such as these can happen ANYWHERE, don't be so innocent to assume it would never happen in North America. It does.

Old 12-11-2009, 09:49 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,228,989 times
[quote=minibrings;11981503]
Quote:
Originally Posted by f1000 View Post
Ahem I have had a beer bottle thrown at me in California and got called a [anti asian term], it can happen anywhere... incidents such as these can happen ANYWHERE, don't be so innocent to assume it would never happen in North America. It does.
But the question is, is it really MUCH MORE LIKELY to occur in Australia compared to North America?

Having never been to the US I can't answer that.

Old 12-11-2009, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Did I say it doesn't happen in America?

I have lived my whole youth in California and Seattle, and many years in Vancouver- and I'm telling you it is UNLIKELY for eggs to be thrown at a person because you are ASIAN. Maybe you got a beer bottle thrown at ya because of your attitude?
(But it actually is very existent BETWEEN asian groups: fobs vs. non-fobs if you know what I'm talking about)

Last edited by f1000; 12-11-2009 at 10:51 AM..

Old 12-11-2009, 10:29 AM

[quote=Trimac20;11983916]
Quote:

But the question is, is it really MUCH MORE LIKELY to occur in Australia compared to North America?

Having never been to the US I can't answer that.
I have not been to Australia so cannot comment on that. I have relatives from Singapore who have settled in Australia to raise their kids and they say despite living among many other Asians in Melbourne & Sydney, they often experience racism towards them. Those same relatives (who are from Singapore so they can speak English fluently albeit with their own accent) spend time here with us and notice a difference.
I also have relatives in the UK and I have spent alot of time there, and I can observe more tension between Whites and Asians (or as they term them 'Orientals') as you would generally observe in West Coast North America.

I can honestly say growing up in California, living many years in the Pacific NW..you are unlikely to be ostracized because of being Asian. Instead you have many stereotypes that are placed upon you..and of course the existence of the "Glass ceiling" if you know what I mean- but in terms of being called "anti-asian" names while walking along the street..or having eggs or beer cans hurled at ya for being asian- UNLIKELY.
As I mentioned previously, there is indifference/ some tension that exists BETWEEN Asian groups in California subcultures- for instance between FOBS and US/ CDN-born Asians..like US-born Asians often avoid mixing with FOBS

Last edited by f1000; 12-11-2009 at 10:53 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand