Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2010, 08:36 PM

4 posts, read 13,950 times

Advertisements

Hey all-so I've been reading past posts about students thinking about studying abroad in Australia, but wasn't sure which city they should go to. The insight from each user was great!

Alas, I have chosen to study at the University of Queensland in Brisbane. I'm a 19 year old college student in the US and will be using Butler Universities Insitute of Study Abroad since the relationship between my school and them are very good. The following are my reasons:

1-Brisbane was described as a sleepy town compared to my other choices of Sydney and Melbourne. I prefer a sleepy town-to me it allows for more time for adventures and exploring Australia. Plus, its not that far from Sydney or Melbourne so a weekend drive could always be turned towards them. And it seems that their is still nightlife, but it shuts down early-cuts the temptation of staying out all night and not studying! lol

2-Brisbane is the closest of the three to the great barrier reef, and it seems like a more tropical/beachy type of place.

3-I have friends in Brisbane-which would make the transition easier.

4-The temperature described by many is as steady, even though it can be humid. Humidity doesn't bother me much as I've grown up in some pretty humid places, but to me, that means green things growing.

So, I'm looking for advice with regards to Brisbane and the region. I'm actually not going for at least another year or year and a half because I'm trying to save up as much money as possible. What's the cost of living in Brisbane? I'll be studying there for a year; more if I fall in love with it.

The program provides a fully furnished apartment. What are the crime rates in Brisbane? I'm not exactly afraid of it-you can give it to me straight. I've lived in NYC, Seattle, LA, Miami and in NJ-not much can scare me away but I still like to know before I arrive, especially regarding burglaries or attacks.

And advice/opinions about the university. I know how they look on paper, but its always insightful to ask those who have gone there and live near it.

Finally, what is the demeanor of Brisbane/Australian natives towards americans? I'm actually just curious-it seems that Australians are friendly towards us.

Any other advice/insight would be most appreciated. I've did my homework and now just looking for an insider point of view. I really want to be prepared.

Thanks everyone!

Chris
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2010, 10:15 PM

5,060 posts, read 7,506,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by csgentahs View Post
Hey all-so I've been reading past posts about students thinking about studying abroad in Australia, but wasn't sure which city they should go to. The insight from each user was great!

Alas, I have chosen to study at the University of Queensland in Brisbane. I'm a 19 year old college student in the US and will be using Butler Universities Insitute of Study Abroad since the relationship between my school and them are very good. The following are my reasons:

1-Brisbane was described as a sleepy town compared to my other choices of Sydney and Melbourne. - Well its smaller than Sydney and Melbourne, yes (Metro pop is around 2 million) and people from sydney or melbourne might describe it as a sleepy little town (but thats an old joke that might have being true 50 years ago). Still i find it lovely and quite having settled back hear via London and Seoul.

I prefer a sleepy town-to me it allows for more time for adventures and exploring Australia. Plus, its not that far from Sydney or Melbourne so a weekend drive could always be turned towards them. - A weekend drive is not possible to either, Sydney is around 700 miles from brisbane and Melbourne about 1200 miles away, all cities are well conected by airlines however.

And it seems that their is still nightlife, but it shuts down early-cuts the temptation of staying out all night and not studying! lol - Well 5am is the offical shut down time in brisbane, so that should leave you enough time to go home and get two hours sleep before being fresh as a daisy for another day of study and leactures

2-Brisbane is the closest of the three to the great barrier reef, and it seems like a more tropical/beachy type of place. - An old story Brisbane is sarounded by world class beaches, their are however none in Brisbane itself! You need to travel one hour south or north of brisbane to find them.

3-I have friends in Brisbane-which would make the transition easier.- Great

4-The temperature described by many is as steady, even though it can be humid. Humidity doesn't bother me much as I've grown up in some pretty humid places, but to me, that means green things growing. - You are correct hear, winter does not exist at all.

So, I'm looking for advice with regards to Brisbane and the region. I'm actually not going for at least another year or year and a half because I'm trying to save up as much money as possible. What's the cost of living in Brisbane? - High compared to the USA, but not as high as Sydney I'll be studying there for a year; more if I fall in love with it. - I hope you do!

The program provides a fully furnished apartment.- Thats lucky because accomidation around the universites is very hard to get. What are the crime rates in Brisbane? I'm not exactly afraid of it-you can give it to me straight. I've lived in NYC, Seattle, LA, Miami and in NJ-not much can scare me away but I still like to know before I arrive, especially regarding burglaries or attacks. - Brisbane has crime of course but nothing like LA or NYC, we dont really have any no go areas hear. Just dont do something stupid like walk down the steet by yourself at 3 am in the morning and you will be fine.

And advice/opinions about the university. I know how they look on paper, but its always insightful to ask those who have gone there and live near it. - Well i went to the UQ, had a great time and got a good job that took me all over the world,

Finally, what is the demeanor of Brisbane/Australian natives towards americans? I'm actually just curious-it seems that Australians are friendly towards us. - We dont have many amreicans hear, people will be courious, and want to hear your funny accent etc. Come with a good attitude and a smile and you will make lots for friends

Any other advice/insight would be most appreciated. I've did my homework and now just looking for an insider point of view. I really want to be prepared.

Thanks everyone!

Chris
Cheers
Daniel

Old 03-19-2010, 08:36 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,025,900 times
If you find few responses to your question its because these topics are covered over and over again in C-D. We've had several threads on Brissie. And people see that its always a Junior Member asking.. then they disappear.

Best to do an Search, read up, and post specific questions.

Old 03-20-2010, 05:47 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,685,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
If you find few responses to your question its because these topics are covered over and over again in C-D. We've had several threads on Brissie. And people see that its always a Junior Member asking.. then they disappear.

Best to do an Search, read up, and post specific questions.
I think we should have a general "i want to study in Australia" thread as these same questions seem to come up every week, some times in multiple threads. Best just to have an ongoing conversation about it one thread, rather than it having to be recycled constantly.

Old 03-20-2010, 06:42 PM

Thanks Danielsa1775! Its always a good thing to know which information is outdated or an ongoing joke or what I got wrong or misunderstood. I really appreciate it! Of course, I'll refuse I have a funny accent

Minibrings-thanks for the advice!

wanneroo--I agree-I've been scouring this forum and this question seems to be popping up quite constantly. But, there is a difference between mine and many of theirs-I'm already coming to Brisbane-just looking for insider tips, opinions, advice-things that will make the transfer smooth and not make me look like a complete idiot lol

Old 03-20-2010, 06:52 PM

Okay-heres a specific question-assuming I round out my years there in brisbane--what are the job outlooks for those holding an engineering degree? specifically a civil one. I know in the states, the outlook is that the demand is going to explode-is it the same there?

Old 03-20-2010, 07:01 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,025,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by csgentahs View Post
Okay-heres a specific question-assuming I round out my years there in brisbane--what are the job outlooks for those holding an engineering degree? specifically a civil one. I know in the states, the outlook is that the demand is going to explode-is it the same there?
I do not know of any civil engineers in CD. Only 5% of the people in CD are outside the US. So your chances are even slimmer of someone that may be answer your query. But I did a google for you and found this link for you; at least from an immigration perspective civil engineers are on the in demand list for migrants.

Is Your Occupation in Demand? - Workers - Visas & Immigration (http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/general-skilled-migration/skilled-occupations/occupations-in-demand.htm - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand