Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2013, 03:05 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,234,009 times

Advertisements

made so much of the condition of their cars. Today drivers go into long detail about "we were loose going into 2 but tight coming out of 4 but tight/loose in the center/end of 3 and the pit road was narrow and we only had a 6th place car but then these 9 things happened to us and that's why we finished 18th." But I seldom hear any driver say "we crashed because we didn't sleep well last night" or something similar indicating that driver was at fault, unless the driver very obviously was the problem. I know teams speak in terms of "we" but it seems like so many drivers feel they didn't contribute to any losses.

My memory isn't the best but I don't recall the greats putting all the blame for not winning on a bunch of tiny details that have nothign to do with them. "We weren't fast today" us about all I recall. I also don't remember drivers being so particular about their cars, or is that a function of being able to change so many things during a modern race?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2013, 05:33 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,854,052 times
some did some didnt. the art of the "whine" really started developing in the mid 70s when TV coverage became more common.

Old 11-03-2013, 05:57 PM

1,716 posts, read 3,585,281 times
I think it has more to do with the teams having a better handle on what is and isn't working other than just knowing the car wasn't fast enough like back in the day.

Old 11-04-2013, 06:09 AM

468 posts, read 827,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by American Luxury View Post
I think it has more to do with the teams having a better handle on what is and isn't working other than just knowing the car wasn't fast enough like back in the day.
Yep!

The sport has become overly technical with engineers and such. I think this is what has driven away some of the old fans. They just don't relate to the modern day NASCAR.

But even with all the brains in the pit and the shop, that driver still has to relay the info to the crew. It still takes a lot of talent to do that as well as quick reflexes.

Always fun to see a driver hang it out on the edge and NOT crash when he goes past that point.

Old 11-04-2013, 06:32 AM

441 posts, read 1,488,065 times
If you've ever set up and raced cars, there is some rationalization of what drivers are talking about. However many of the Bratts we have today are kings of the blame game.
The differences for the most part are the platform they use, (chassis and suspension), has not change much in the past 50 years. Sure components have been upgraded, but not a lot has changed with the platform itself. What has changed is speed, aerodynamics and more of a competitive field from front to rear.
With the advent of these newer body designs, lack of travel in the suspensions, and coil binding of the springs, these cars are very evil and on the edge of breaking lose in every turn. They have become so aero dependant, that the least little bit of down force and side force disturbance can send a good car into the wall.
The whining, finger pointing, and drama have always been there. It was just handled differently without a camera and mic being present.
Take a Saturday night and drop by one the local dirt tracks. Can be quite entertaining to say the least!
Honestly, if NASCAR would allow the drivers and teams to handle issues like they did back in the old days, viewership and attendance might come back.

Old 11-04-2013, 07:25 AM

6,793 posts, read 5,664,886 times
I remember a 'some what' famous line from Ryan Newman;
"I ran out of talent"

I have heard drivers blame themselves for screw ups but the drivers are so good today that in most occurrences, especially the drivers that get interviewed at the end of a race, it really is the equipment that made the difference.

Last edited by mco65; 11-04-2013 at 08:23 AM..

Old 11-04-2013, 07:38 AM

5,718 posts, read 7,262,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCproud View Post
The whining, finger pointing, and drama have always been there. It was just handled differently without a camera and mic being present.
Take a Saturday night and drop by one the local dirt tracks. Can be quite entertaining to say the least!
Honestly, if NASCAR would allow the drivers and teams to handle issues like they did back in the old days, viewership and attendance might come back.

Allison/Yarborough bout:

NASCAR - The Infamous Fistfight - Daytona 500 1979 - YouTube

Old 11-04-2013, 08:47 AM

8,402 posts, read 24,234,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post
I remember a 'some what' famous line from Ryan Newman;
"I ran out of talent"

I have heard drivers blame themselves for screw ups but the drivers are so good today that in most occurrences, especially the drivers that get interviewed at the end of a race, it really is the equipment that made the difference.
That's some appreciated honesty!

I should clarify that this is actually two different issues for me. I understand that the crew needs all the info they can get to maximize the adjsutments on the car during the race. What bugs me is all the...excuses...err...I mean reasons...why a driver didn't do better. Did the greats all have perfect cars when they won?

I was an Earnhardt fan, not only because I was involved with his career in a very minor way due to a couple friends and neighbors, but because he went out and drove to win. I look at his son and think that he just isn't willing (or able?) to give that extra 1% necessary to win. His gear and team are the best that can be had, no doubt. He leads often and runs competitively, but can't quite take the flag at the end of the day. Then we hear about how disappointed he is that they didn't have the speed they ahd in practice, or some other reason. Well, drive the damn car faster. I find it near impossible to believe that one can only win if their car is perfect.

Old 11-04-2013, 08:52 AM

68,330 posts, read 54,411,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by American Luxury View Post
Don't forget they used to race 'real' cars made from actual manufacturers' bodies in white, they didn't have the degree of adjustability that today's purpose built race cars have.

Old 11-04-2013, 11:43 AM

6,793 posts, read 5,664,886 times
Well, Jr aint his dad and to be fair.. no body is.

There are several reasons Jr doesn't win and sometimes it is the the car like yesterday. Jimmy had the car and no one was going to pass him period. At Talledega, he was waiting for the last lap to pass Jamie when bad luck and a caution cost him..

But I think the main reason he doesn't win is he is too damn careful not to wreck anybody. ie, he wont do what is necessary to win especially if it means ruining someone elses' day.. he wont do that and that's the main reason he doesn't win (IMO!) His daddy didn't have that problem.. his daddy wanted to win at all costs.

Another thing that I believe clearly defines Jr from his daddy is the money. Sr was racing and winning to make a living, to put food on the table, especially in his early days of racing. Jr never had that problem. Jr doesn't have to win to make a living, he does that simply because of his name.. To put it bluntly, he is not as hungry as his dad was...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing