Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Hyundai and Kia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2010, 06:56 PM

3,320 posts, read 5,593,052 times

Advertisements

After running the gamut over several weeks from used Cadillac to new econo boxes like a Focus we somehow narrowed it down between a 2011 Sonata and the Soul.

Somehow I finally convinced DH the Soul was more attractive than he originally thought. Getting the Shadow Dragon special addition package with the amped audio package, bluetooth and Ipod capability, glovebox big enough to fit a laptop, moon roof, leather heated seats etc. I know it's a KIA ... but our local televised car reviewer here is giving KIA good marks and frankly I don't give a damn!

This thing is fun to drive and marketed to kids...but plenty of GMA"s in the reviews love 'em! It's going to be my little grocery wagon!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2010, 07:10 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,852,893 times
Congratulations. A new car and a vacation sound good to me right about now.

Old 06-22-2010, 07:12 PM

2,698 posts, read 12,167,740 times
Utility-wise, you can't go wrong with choosing the 5-door hatch versus the sedan. Good choice!

Funny you mention the demographics of the drivers of these vehicles. They keep advertising the box cars to younger generations, but I see more and more *ahem* 'older' folks driving them all the time. I also see a lot of private companies using them as company vehicles. Neither surprise me, really. Again, you just can't beat the practicality of the things and these folks know it. I'm sure they LOVE the pulsing lights around the speakers as well, lol.

Slightly OT, but have you seen the new Soul commercial where they mock the other box cars? I especially liked the part where the other hamsters were driving a Toaster (an obvious shot aimed at the 2nd gen xB, which I own). Well played, Kia. Well played.

Mike

Old 06-22-2010, 10:42 PM

1,955 posts, read 10,979,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboyslo View Post
Slightly OT, but have you seen the new Soul commercial where they mock the other box cars? I especially liked the part where the other hamsters were driving a Toaster (an obvious shot aimed at the 2nd gen xB, which I own). Well played, Kia. Well played.
It's not so much the other boxmobiles, but "appliance cars" in general. Cars that folks bought because it gets them from point A to point B ... and that's all its purpose is.

YouTube - 2010 Kia Soul Hamster Commercial | Black Sheep Kia Hamsters Video

Old 06-23-2010, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboyslo View Post
Utility-wise, you can't go wrong with choosing the 5-door hatch versus the sedan. Good choice!

Funny you mention the demographics of the drivers of these vehicles. They keep advertising the box cars to younger generations, but I see more and more *ahem* 'older' folks driving them all the time. I also see a lot of private companies using them as company vehicles. Neither surprise me, really. Again, you just can't beat the practicality of the things and these folks know it. I'm sure they LOVE the pulsing lights around the speakers as well, lol.

Mike
Thanks for the positive comments...I'm pumped! I don't see that it's off topic since were discussing the Soul. I previously searched every thread in this forum to see what discussions ppl were having about the Soul.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
Congratulations. A new car and a vacation sound good to me right about now.
Thanks...I like your sense of humor...sorry I still can't help you with the vacay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narfcake View Post
It's not so much the other boxmobiles, but "appliance cars" in general. Cars that folks bought because it gets them from point A to point B ... and that's all its purpose is.

YouTube - 2010 Kia Soul Hamster Commercial | Black Sheep Kia Hamsters Video
My husband saw it. Sadly I'm getting an error message and it won't play, but if I click on the link below I get a slew of other commercials to the right. The top right one with the red Soul is good.

Old 06-23-2010, 11:07 AM

3,306 posts, read 12,215,941 times
Does yours have those dragon decals on the body panels?

Old 06-23-2010, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux Hauler View Post
Does yours have those dragon decals on the body panels?
Funny you should ask...yes it does and they (KIA) call them graphics. That was the one thing that we wern't really digging, but it grew on us and we said WTH...not really that noticable and kinda cool. Got a lot of looks when we were out test driving, but of course it's fairly new and then with the dealer plates. We have really nice sporty rims (black).

Old 06-23-2010, 04:28 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,229,958 times
This is just my Opinion, but I finally saw one of those things in front of me and it was uglier than hell, especially the rear end. Personally, I would go with the 2011 Hyundia Sonata. MUCH better looking and way better performance IMO. Another thing to be aware of the Kia brand has most likely been canceled so that could effect resale.

Old 06-23-2010, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
This is just my Opinion, but I finally saw one of those things in front of me and it was uglier than hell, especially the rear end. Personally, I would go with the 2011 Hyundia Sonata. MUCH better looking and way better performance IMO. Another thing to be aware of the Kia brand has most likely been canceled so that could effect resale.
It's a lease so we don't have to worry about resale. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder We got a lot more options in the Soul, than we would have in the Sonata for the price. Not to mention that they cut us a pretty good deal. We hear Hyundia and KIA have merged.

Old 06-23-2010, 05:28 PM

24,448 posts, read 25,978,821 times
And the also have cool commercials!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Hyundai and Kia