Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2010, 02:31 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,992,173 times

Advertisements

Have you, generally, had good or bad experiences when you've needed repairs away from home on a trip?

I thank my lucky stars that I've almost invariably had experiences that have upheld my faith in humanity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2010, 02:42 PM

7,005 posts, read 21,338,885 times
None, so far.

Old 08-09-2010, 04:18 PM

3,306 posts, read 12,224,222 times
I can't speak for myself being helped but I generally help out anyone I see or that asks assuming I am not pressed for time. I carry a 120 piece toolset, all automotive fluids, straps, ratchets, chains, jumper cables, fuses, wiring/soldering supplies, spare bulbs, etc. I am not a contractor but I am a tad OCD and like to be prepared. I have been offered services in return but I often just politely turn them down and just hope that they return the favor to others.

Old 08-09-2010, 04:37 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,617,939 times
We carry a AAA card with premium account, 6 - 100 mile tows.

Old 08-09-2010, 04:52 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,705,555 times
While AAA is great protection it has been my experience that if you cannot give the tow company an address they won't show up... Good luck if you're stalled on a highway.

Old 08-09-2010, 08:18 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,287,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Have you, generally, had good or bad experiences when you've needed repairs away from home on a trip?.
The ONLY reason that I have kept AAA coverage for many years is their ability to get help to you ANYWHERE in the US at any hour of the day and night.

There are many reimbursement services out there. But who is going to find someone to get out there after midnight? I have friends call up local wrecker services at 2am just to be told to "call me back in the morning."

I have had several breakdowns on the freeway over the years (back when I had a bunch of 150k beaters commuting 100 miles OW). You have to be specific as to where the car is broken down so they can find you. But even when I was nit sure, they were able to get a tow truck out to me.

In general, the wait has been well under an hour except on the first cold winter days when they are giving jumps to weak batteries.

Old 08-09-2010, 09:15 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,992,173 times
My point wasn't about the quality of the road service. What happens when you car is towed into a garage that you know nothing about? Or, an unfamiliar shop that you drive into when you don't want to risk trying to make it home?

How have repair shops been about providing fair service, when they know you have just become their captive?

Old 08-09-2010, 09:35 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,287,859 times
Quote:
My point wasn't about the quality of the road service. What happens when you car is towed into a garage that you know nothing about? Or, an unfamiliar shop that you drive into when you don't want to risk trying to make it home?

How have repair shops been about providing fair service, when they know you have just become their captive?

I pay the money to have them tow me to my favorite shop or if out of town, to the nearest dealership.

When that hasn't been practical, I have had mixed results - some good shops and some less so. The better solution is to keep the car well mainteined and you can avoid the entire experience.

Old 08-09-2010, 09:46 PM

1,955 posts, read 10,983,616 times
That's the thing about AAA ... if you're unfamiliar with area, they can tow you to a recommended shop instead, which they do survey and heed any complaints on. Like the towing service, the shop can't count on them to be a huge money maker, but a good and honest shop will be able to make it up on continued recommendations and volume.

As for the most valuable tow I've received, it was when I was on vacation. Heading up to Mt. Lassen, CA, the Meyle (German) water pump with just 31k miles on it decided to shat its bearing. Pulled over, filled the reservoir with river water so there was at least something in the cooling system, and pulled over at the very next sign of civilization ...

I was in Viola, CA. Population? Cell service? Low and no.

Call up AAA from a pay phone ... it was going to be 3 hours for the nearest tow service from Anderson, CA. They suggested I get towed into Redding, CA since there will be more services there, and even a few motels that offer a AAA discount. It was getting late, so I was dropped off at the motel instead; the next day, I walked 4 miles to pick up some parts and changed out the water pump out in the motel parking lot.

Without AAA+, that would've been a very expensive tow. For that service, I've been a member for 8 years now. Like insurance, you hope you never need to use it, but when something happens, you're glad they're around.

Old 08-09-2010, 09:47 PM

3,189 posts, read 4,983,145 times
Quote:

In that respect I have been pretty lucky to get decent people helping me out.

I had a flexible brake line burst in the rear of a Suburban while towing a horse 100s of mile away from home. The folks at the Rest Area off of I-70 told me about a place one exit back called of all things....the Break Shop. AAA towed me there within a reasonable time and the guys got me back on the road within 1/2 hour (including a bleeding the line). They charged me less than I would have asked to do the same job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive