Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2010, 04:51 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,689,401 times

Advertisements

have any "odd abilities" pertaining to roads or highways. Could be map reading or a well developed sense of direction? When I was young i learned how to read maps and I have a very odd knowledge of being able to name highway exits on I 95 from Bridgeport Conn to Petersburg, Va.(this is about 400-450 miles). If you name the state and exit # on I 95, more often than not i can give you the town/city/locality and many times the interstate/state/federal route #. Not 100% for every single exit every single bit of detail, but i can give at least 2 per exit usually.

In fact on my treks to the south from here in NY, it seems to make the ride go faster knowing which exit is coming up and where I am mileage wise

Anyone else like this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2010, 05:44 PM

3,306 posts, read 12,224,222 times
Interesting thread. I don't have any savant type abilities when it comes to road systems however I have a fairly keen sense of direction. I guess one odd thing that I do is very accurately estimate traveling time somewhere.

Old 08-18-2010, 05:48 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,558,348 times
No odd ability here but I do have a good memory for finding places even if I had only been there once before even if it had been years before.

Old 08-18-2010, 05:50 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,689,401 times
Default yes

good term savant. yes i'm good at remembering but as i get older...!!

Old 08-18-2010, 06:07 PM

24,474 posts, read 26,008,272 times
Landmarks work better for me.

Old 08-18-2010, 06:30 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,992,173 times
Most people I know are constant gas pumpers, but I can get up to highway speed and hold my foot steady on the gas and maintain a constant speed, and never have to look at the speedo, because I can tell by the sound of the engine and road noise if I drift a couple of MPH faster or slower. I'm presuming most of you can do that, but it's amazing how many people can't, and it's very annoying to ride with them. What's really annoying is riding with someone who has to use cruise control, and is always playing chicken with it, to see if they can make their lane change before they have to override it.

Re: the landmarks and directions. I once had to drive home from work after dark in a city that had had a power outage, and I couldn't find my way. I depended on traffic lights and lighted commercial signage as landmarks. I literally got lost and once made a wrong turn and then had no idea where I was.

Old 08-18-2010, 06:40 PM

24,474 posts, read 26,008,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post

Re: the landmarks and directions. I once had to drive home from work after dark in a city that had had a power outage, and I couldn't find my way. I depended on traffic lights and lighted commercial signage as landmarks. I literally got lost and once made a wrong turn and then had no idea where I was.
A GPS woulda helped find your way.

Old 08-18-2010, 08:02 PM

4,923 posts, read 11,191,210 times
I'm pretty much the opposite, jtur88. I can get turned around in a city, but in the country, no matter how hilly, dark, or winding the road is, I can keep directions and have no sweat at all. Don't know why, other than cities all kind of look alike to me.

I too have been able to get back to places years and years later after only having been there once.

Other than that, I'm just your run-of-the-mill idiot, without the savant.

Is rlrl some kind of code for rainman?

Old 08-18-2010, 09:05 PM

1,022 posts, read 2,551,791 times
I have a similar ability. I used to read maps a lot as a kid, because my Dad had an airport shuttle business and always had maps lying around. I took to it very quick, studied them for fun, and at one time I actually wanted to be a cartographer. ADC maps are still my favorite to read.

I can tell you every exit off of I-95 in the state of Maryland and Delaware, and just about every exit on the NJ Turnpike. I used to be much better at that kind of stuff, now when I drive I'm not paying as much attention. But I still have a very good sense of direction. I don't get lost too easily (at least not in America), and even when I have, it was never so bad that I couldn't find the correct route within at least 5-10 minutes. I'm good LOL!

Old 08-18-2010, 09:25 PM

11,157 posts, read 14,006,045 times
I'm pretty good at reading maps. Roadmaps and topographic. Big difference between the two. l tell my wife she doesn't need a GPS when she has me. Oddly enough, she uses the GPS more than she asks me for directions. Am I obsolete?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive