Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2010, 09:39 AM
PDD PDD started this thread

8,773 posts, read 18,391,312 times

Advertisements

I have a 95 Mustang that has OBDI diagnostics so it is not emission inspected in NC. My question is do they inspect for cats and are they required?
I just moved to NC and am not familiar with NC emission rules.
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2010, 11:59 AM

45,396 posts, read 60,592,880 times
Catalytic converters are required on all cars (post 1975 or so) by federal law.

Emissions Laws & Regulations – Frequently Asked Questions

EPA Regulations for Catalytic Converters | eHow.com

Old 09-18-2010, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Catalytic converters are required on all cars (post 1975 or so) by federal law.

Emissions Laws & Regulations – Frequently Asked Questions

EPA Regulations for Catalytic Converters | eHow.com
Thanks, You have answered my question.

Old 09-18-2010, 07:09 PM

1,736 posts, read 4,745,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
I have a 95 Mustang that has OBDI diagnostics so it is not emission inspected in NC. My question is do they inspect for cats and are they required?
Thanks
If it came with a cat then it has to have one to pass inspection in NC. I have an 86 suburban that didn’t come with a cat and I had an independent shop refuse to pass it. I had to go to a local chevy dealer that had the correct manuals to prove that my engine didn’t have a cat from the factory.

Old 09-18-2010, 08:32 PM

4,237 posts, read 24,782,378 times
Quote:
Thanks
Yes they will look under your car to ensure you have a cat. Yes they are required. And from what I have been informed by an exhaust shop in NC, if a cop pulls you over and happens to look under and see's the cat is not there, he can impound the vehicle on the spot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedNC View Post
If it came with a cat then it has to have one to pass inspection in NC. I have an 86 suburban that didn’t come with a cat and I had an independent shop refuse to pass it. I had to go to a local chevy dealer that had the correct manuals to prove that my engine didn’t have a cat from the factory.
I am pretty sure by 1986 all vehicles built in the U.S. had a cat...how did yours not come with one?

Old 09-19-2010, 12:44 PM

4,790 posts, read 10,613,723 times
Over here in the Mtns of western NC, they don't look "under the car"; they do look under
the hood, in a cursory glance. Not sure if the OBD I would show a proper reading, minus
cats, or would let you slide through. Fwiw, the local Jiff Lube joint here has a hook up for
both OBD II, and also OBD 1, (they say the OBD I is only for "repair work" diagnostics)...
in reading the NC DOT inspection page, it only ref's hooking up for 1996 and newer cars

If it were mine, I'd hit an out of the way joint and give it a try.
GL, mD

Last edited by motordavid; 09-19-2010 at 12:54 PM..

Old 09-19-2010, 03:26 PM

4,500 posts, read 12,346,537 times
A bit off topic but: Would they accept aftermarket Race-cats (less estriction), and would this vary much from state to state?

Old 09-19-2010, 05:26 PM

3,071 posts, read 9,140,968 times
Quote:
Thanks
Even though your car is a 95 it still has to have all of the factory emission equipment on it. An inspection shop is required to check for anything that has been removed. You best put that chit back on you ride son.

Old 09-19-2010, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nativechief View Post
Even though your car is a 95 it still has to have all of the factory emission equipment on it. An inspection shop is required to check for anything that has been removed. You best put that chit back on you ride son.
Actually the car still has all it's emission equipment in place. .
BTW you would not be calling me son if you know how old I am.

Old 09-19-2010, 11:14 PM

3,071 posts, read 9,140,968 times
Quote:
Actually the car still has all it's emission equipment in place. .
BTW you would not be calling me son if you know how old I am.
Sorry I was thinking the car had the CAT removed...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive